Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Won't go into Park...Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 AM

Default Won't go into Park...Any ideas?

I have an 06' xB limited, that for years has given me nothing but extreme pleasure. However, am sad to say that today it has frustrated me beyond all reason. It refuses to return to Park. The only other post I've found, about this, was where someone found a broken wing tab on his shifter button but he didn't say what he did to repair it. And when I took mine apart, nothing as apparent could be found. Am thinking that the car seems to think that I'm moving, thus limiting my ability to return to park. I cannot think of anything else and sure in the hell don't want to take it to the dealership for what could be an easy fix. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-10-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I seem to recall something like this happening to me. I had changed a bulb in the rear while the car was running and for some reason I can't remember, I had it running in gear with the parking brake on. Maybe it was a backup light or something. Anyway, I know the car isn't supposed to be running when you change a bulb. But I've cut some corners like this before on other cars and nothing bad ever happened. This time it did. Hmmm, now that I am thinking about it more, maybe my problem was the opposite. I think I got it into park and the couldn't get it out. I guess I can't swear to any of that. My memory is too foggy. But I can remember how frustrated I was and I think it took me a couple of hours of trying different things before I found a solution. This will show you how dumb I am. I was changing a bulb when it happened and it took me two hours to think to check the fuses. That's what it was in my case. A blown fuse and I'm pretty sure that it was one under the dash. I am remembering and engine compartment fuse as well, but I think that is because I had to borrow one from my truck. Anyway, the thing that makes me think fuse is the fact that you think the car thinks that it is moving. I had a similar theory with my problem and that is my excuse for not thinking to check the fuses first. I hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:20 PM

Update...checked fuses, they are all fine. I'm thinking there's a solenoid that won't allow the car to return to park while it is moving. At least that's my theory at this point. I hit the shift lock release tab under the upper right handside of the shifter console. (Note: You have to do this while the car is running to allow the solenoid to alter it's current state of keeping you locked out of Park.) That did the trick. My problem now is that it tripped again after replacing the shifter cover plate. I now think that there's a pinched wire under the console or my solenoid is going bad. Either way, I'm getting ready to take it apart today, to not only inspect for pinched wiring or other obvious damage, but to clean it out. OMG it's so freaking messy in there. Will, update again with the situation and it's resolution.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by LynWho
Update...checked fuses, they are all fine. I'm thinking there's a solenoid that won't allow the car to return to park while it is moving. At least that's my theory at this point. I hit the shift lock release tab under the upper right handside of the shifter console. (Note: You have to do this while the car is running to allow the solenoid to alter it's current state of keeping you locked out of Park.) That did the trick. My problem now is that it tripped again after replacing the shifter cover plate. I now think that there's a pinched wire under the console or my solenoid is going bad. Either way, I'm getting ready to take it apart today, to not only inspect for pinched wiring or other obvious damage, but to clean it out. OMG it's so freaking messy in there. Will, update again with the situation and it's resolution.
Did you figure out the problem? I have a 2009 Scion xD that won't go into park. It goes into all other gears. Shift cable is fine but can't shift to park at the transmission control either.
I'm wondering if it is a solenoid and something that can be repaired without rebuilding the transmission.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-10-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo