Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xA clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xA clutch replacement

I know, I asked about this a year and a half ago. The clutch started slipping at 260,000...but stopped slipping. I'm now at 341,909 and it is finally slipping enough to replace. I have the battery out, starter out, front suspension apart, and drive shafts out. A couple questions:

What is the easiest way to take apart the rear tranny mount? Is it easier to drop the K-frame/subframe (whatever you call it)? What is the best procedure for transmission removal? I have a clutch kit from Autozone for a Yaris. The parts numbers for the friction disc and throw out bearing are the same as for the xA, but the pressure plate shows a different part number. Should the Yaris one interchange? Been a great car. Like to get 500,000 out of it.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Victory is mine! At least the first half of the project. It took me 5 hours of labor, but the tranny is on the floor, and the flywheel is ready to go to the machine shop. Yes, you can remove the trans without dropping the K-frame, or removing the engine. The real tough part is the rear mount, especially the hidden bolt that I couldn't see at first. Now all I have to do is put it all back together, and hopefully not have any parts left.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:46 AM

ROCK STAR
Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 AM

My 06' was seized by the Tennessee Highway Patrol,all the charges were dismissed ,with the state paying the court cost..But when i went to the hearing last month ,they through out the book value,and i just laughed to myself,,,,i have had 5 new cars ,and 4 harleys,and i would have paid anything to get my XA back,,,,the best car i've ever had by far,and the best money i have ever spent,,i guess that's why they quit building it..I like the XD but nothing gets the mileage i get out of my XA,,they got it right and then put bigger motors in and the MPG went to sh*t,my '06 is not replaceable !!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, getting the trans out sucked, and getting it back sucked much harder. I had to undo the subframe to get the sucker back into position, and it took forever to get the stupid thing mated to the engine. I just hope I didn't screw something up beating it into place. 341,900 miles. If the car suddenly turned into dust, I would still say it was the most cost effective car I have ever had.