Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xB 5th gear?

Old 12-15-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB 5th gear?

Is there any fifth gear that MT xB owners can use to lower the cruising rpm range of 5th gear at 80?
4100 rpm is a little to high for me and 65 is just too slow. I'm thinking like the tC, Corolla, or Matrix 5th gears.

Has anyone dabbled in this at all???

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-31-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-15-2006, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lots of talk, very little action. Do a search and check out this thread...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102883
Old 12-16-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks ill have to look at that more when i have time. didnt know that a 6 speed was an option.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well about the only thing u can do is change the 5th gear out of an echo, that would drop your rpms at 80 down to 3500rpm, as for the 6 speed its from a 2000 levin rzr or something like that, its the c160 trans, very hard to find and expensive to get. if you get one, what you have to do is swap your bellhousing off the xb's c150 trans and then you have to notch the xb;s fram bcause the trans is about 2 inches longer then the stock xb tranny.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what year echo is that out of? or will any year work??
Old 01-16-2007, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Somebody post this everywhere...

This is all BS...how many times must we all write that the final drive is what's different in the Echo, not 5th gear?

5th gear from an '02+ corolla will get you what you want. For ayone who doesn't believe it, pony up some cash and I'll be the guinea pig. The ID on 5th drive and driven are the same as ours, the thickness of the gears are the same, and the dimensions between the shafts in both trannies (basically the same trans) are the same.

5th gear, DRIVE and DRIVEN, from an '02+ Corolla. If it doesn't work for you, I'll buy the gears from you. Take it to the bank. And for anyone who wants to say, "You do it first", by the time any of the doubters get off their a$$es, I probably will be the first.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default BUMP for sanity

sikbrik is right. i put some time in researching and he put in way more. i have seen some of his research.
the key here is $$CASH$$ i would be all over swapping 5th myself, but it is not worth the money or down time to me. swapping any gear is basically a rebuild, which is not a project for the average DIYer. it is possible, but it requires precision and special tools that you would have to buy or make yourself.

if i do the engine work that i plan, and i get an LSD installed at the same time, then i will check into a quote for the 5th swap.

yes, a six speed is an "option", but not much of one for a street car. the C160 will, for the most part, bolt right up to our cars, but they are about 1.5" too long.
i would not trust anybody shady or dumb enough to take on the frame rail cutting that is necessary. if you tell the shop that it is a track only car, then maybe they will do it.
i don't know what the six speed echo owner wraith did, but every shop whom i spoke with refused to touch the CRUMPLE ZONES that are on the frame rail right where it needs to be cut. they have liability issues.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:41 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just go used to the high rev's closer to the power torque band and i'm happy with that!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 02:18 AM
SL Member

Default any new info on a better overdrive

Hi all. I recently bought a well cared for 04 with only 63k on it. Beautiful little toaster. Enjoy driving it but freeway driving is a bit of a stretch. Immediately thought of taller tires and possiblily taller OD gearing. Started searching for those who proceeded me and found this site. Noticed this thread is quite old (2007). Has there been any success yet on swapping in a taller 5th gear?
Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

buzzsawlouie, I do not know of anyone who has done a fifth swap. Shortly after our last posts, sikbrik sold his car and I quit modifying my xA (got a Miata to play with instead). I do nothing but repairs and maintenance on the xA now. I have since grown accustomed to the highway RPMs. I dislike it, but it is what it is and I do not want to put the energy, time, and money into changing it.
I have had taller tires, but I forget what size they were. I think they were 195/65R15. I think they rubbed a little under hard cornering, but not enough that I noticed any damage. They did not change the highway RPM noticeably, but a little is probably better than nothing. FYI: I have Progress springs and original dampers (worn out), so this car sits more than 2" lower than stock. Maybe you can get away with even taller tires on a stock set up.