Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

800 watts is 800 watts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

fuesad should definitely have it hooked up right after all the responses. all hail the monday morning quarterbacks
Old 12-23-2005, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trebor
Malibu_Rapper, Thats exactly the same info I gave him............
Hey Trebor, good advice. Sorry I went on that diatribe but I missed your response between all the flames and it's hard to read while shaking your head.

So now when he fries his amp, we can say Trebor and Malibu Rapper both warned you!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by x2_da_b
fuesad should definitely have it hooked up right after all the responses. all hail the monday morning quarterbacks
LOL, I don't usually post this much, just bored tonight I guess , goodnight all!!

Good Luck with whatever you decide on fuesad!!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Malibu_Rapper
Malibu_Rapper, Thats exactly the same info I gave him............
Hey Trebor, good advice. Sorry I went on that diatribe but I missed your response between all the flames and it's hard to read while shaking your head.

So now when he fries his amp, we can say Trebor and Malibu Rapper both warned you!!!
instead of being a bobble head let the guy hook it up and see what happens, you can stand by with the fire extinguisher
Old 12-23-2005, 05:01 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive seen a 4 ohm amp run at 1 ohm. it was not run long so essentially all that happened was it popped a fuse and had to get it replaced. however, I AM NOT CONDONING (sp?) that you go lower than the recommended ohms than that of the manuf. i will say it once more so people can understand and read through this, get an amp that is setup for your sub!

i think trebor and me are on the same page with this one. im saying get a mono 1ohm stable amp. i never mentioned how to run anything about the audiobahn amp fusead listed. of course you dont run it at a lower impedance than recommended. it will hurt the amp. there has been no argument here as to that, we all agree never run an amp below the recommened impedance. im saying get an amp that is RIGHT for the sub vs. the bridged audiobahn with high levels of impedance.

and trebor, ive basically lived in audio shops the past weeks getting my setup ready for dB drag. when you get a higher level class D amp, ive found theres a considerable difference in efficeieny of a lower level AB amp. they may have more disortion in class D form, but they also squeeze more power out of the amp and the full potential. (as why you see higher RMS watts for lower impedance)
Old 12-23-2005, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...pedance=DVC2x2

check out the diagram. wiring the sub to 4 ohm like i said in the begining will be fine and bridge the amp. some people hang out in the shop and some of us get paid to be there. sorry guys i'm just messin around...
Old 12-23-2005, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sexyscionlover
im saying get a mono 1ohm stable amp
I disagree here. A 1 ohm stable amp is undoubtedly a high current amp which will cost you mucho $$$ and not give you one nanogram advantage over a 4 ohm bridged mono amp with the voicecoils wired in series here. Why on EARTH would you condone a high current amp vs wiring the sub in series? Wire the sub 4 ohm and forget about high current amps. There is probably a at least 8:1 ratio of 4 ohm mono to 1 ohm mono amps and they cost so much more than a 4 ohm mono amp. Your price per watt is most effective at 4 ohm mono and that's indisputable. If you want to get even more picky about it, THD increases as impedance drops so a 4 ohm mono load is actually cleaner than a 1 ohm mono load by magnitudes.

If you don't believe me, do some research. After all of this, I am so glad that I'm not a newbie to audio. Good lord...
Old 12-23-2005, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the all the info. I just want a nice sounding system. Not competition so at this point i am either going to stick with the original setup or switch to something else. Dump the sub or get a different amp.

But there were a few comments that were what i was hopeing to hear. 800 watts is 800 watts. Whether its at 1 ohm or 4 ohm. I think ill get a capacitor just incase, hell i have commited to approximately 5k in upgrades at this point so hell a few more bucks isnt going to matter.

Hoping to have it all complete by the scion show in Miami, I am in Key West, Would like to post some pics when its complete.

Can you tell, while listing, to a car that is running 1 ohm amp at 800 watts, versus a bridged amp running at 800 watts at 4 ohms?

Is 800 watts, 800 watts no matter the load using to obtain it.

Malibu and some others seemed to hit the point that i was looking for. Why spend coin to be at 1 ohm when i can get there with a 4 ohm amp. Both would be generating the same wattage, at least i think so.

Thanks for all the responses,

Fuesad
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Scion05BOPxB"]

no... what you mean is 800 CEA2006 watts IS 800 watts.
Nice. CEA 2006. LOL! Mark
Old 12-23-2005, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fuesad
Thanks for the all the info. I just want a nice sounding system. Not competition so at this point i am either going to stick with the original setup or switch to something else. Dump the sub or get a different amp.

But there were a few comments that were what i was hopeing to hear. 800 watts is 800 watts. Whether its at 1 ohm or 4 ohm. I think ill get a capacitor just incase, hell i have commited to approximately 5k in upgrades at this point so hell a few more bucks isnt going to matter.

Hoping to have it all complete by the scion show in Miami, I am in Key West, Would like to post some pics when its complete.

Can you tell, while listing, to a car that is running 1 ohm amp at 800 watts, versus a bridged amp running at 800 watts at 4 ohms?

Is 800 watts, 800 watts no matter the load using to obtain it.

Malibu and some others seemed to hit the point that i was looking for. Why spend coin to be at 1 ohm when i can get there with a 4 ohm amp. Both would be generating the same wattage, at least i think so.

Thanks for all the responses,

Fuesad
To answer your question 800 watts is 800 watts irregardless of the inpedence it's hooked to. If the amp is designed for 1, 2, 4, etc. ohms then your fine. The only place you'd run in to trouble is if you're trying to drive a load lower than the amp and power supply are capable of. Also, while 800 watts is 800 watts don't forget to take the efficency of the amp in to account. If you're talking Class D or similar topology you have a very efficent amp that would draw far less current than a conventional Class AB amp or worse a pure Class A amp. Mark
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

+ + =

I think that's the simplest way to put it.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is the most confusing thing i've ever read in my life. so if you want to hook up an 8ohm sub to a 2 channel amp, what would be the correct way to do it so nothing gets messed up? just wondering cause now i'm afraid something will die if i don't fix it quick.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go to google and type "Sound Domain Wiring" and theyll give you a wizard to help you wire everything correctly with right number of subs, ohms, and voice coils.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfenske
If you're talking Class D or similar topology you have a very efficent amp that would draw far less current than a conventional Class AB amp or worse a pure Class A amp. Mark
Good point, and I take back my post that in response to sexyscionlover's advice to get a 1 ohm mono amp. I was referring to buying a 2 channel amp and bridging it to 1 ohm mono. In retrospect, I think he was referring to a mono amp stable to 1 ohm. Sorry if I misinterpreted you!

Especially for the Scions, you should definitely consider a class D topology amplifier because of its efficiency. More efficient amps mean less current draw and less strain on your alternator as well. Almost all of the 1 ohm mono amps are class Ds now. If you are going to buy that Audiobahn, the 8001DT might be a good bet if it's not too much more than that 2 channel 800 watt amp.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

is mandos the only one that understands. he is saying the exact same thing i was saying the whole time. there is no need to buy a new amp or a new sub. what you have is perfectly fine.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think this stresses my point more by your answer. i dont think he even HAS the amp yet, so he wouldnt be getting a new one. he would be getting the right one.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Please explain what the right one would be since either amp design would give you the 800 watts. The class D design would be more efficient but with higher distortion while the class AB is alot cheaper (we're only talking about the two Audiobahn models mentioned here since he said he would like to keep it same branded). As far as I can tell. he only plans on listening to music, not entering Db Drag.

I don't think he could go wrong with either but I don't understand your right one comment.