Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Amp Question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Amp Question...

So my amp(ed nine.1) is jacked up for some reason. It was working Tuesday fine then all of a sudden it just stopped. So I get home and I see I blew a 100 amp fuse. So I go to get another and they are out. So yesterday the biggest I could find at first was an 80, so I bought it. put it in and pop...so i get some the pack from wally world with 2 40s and 2 100s. I check the fuse and its not blown. I check the fuses on the amp, and all 4 are blown. I change them out and pop, the 80 is blown. I check all the connections, nothing is touching anywhere, i reposition the cables because the ground was showing a little, checked everything again. Cranked and pop there goes a 100. checked everything again disconnected one of the voice coils(19ov.2) and pop there goes a 40. So now I'm depressed. Henry(speakerbox) made a call and they said it might be the amps power supply. I get home and switch out the amp, at first the other amp was going in protection mode, mid you its only like a 200watt or so. I disconnect a voice coil again and, wamp wamp, it plays. So now I'm even more depressed. Then i put power, ground and remote back on the nine.1 and pop there goes another 40. So in total I blew 5-30s, 2 40s, 1 80 and 1 100...*sigh*...

Anybody know how this might have happened? I want to send it back because of the warranty, but I don't see how this would be covered as a "manufactors' defect" Anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, the amp comes on at first then the power light fades out, the fuse blows while its fading out.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like one of your voice coils is shorted. When you put a meter on it, what does it read? What happens when it is shorted is that it presents a dead short to the amp and POP there goes a fuse or into protection. That is why a lot of people have serious problems trying to run certain amps down to 1 ohm and expect it to last when really getting on it.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I havent put a meter on it. And the gain was all the way down and the bass was all the way down on the HU...the bass boost might have been half way up...
Old 04-25-2007, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats OK, if the coil is shorted, it won't matter where the gain or bass is. a short does not care about volume.... If it plays with one disconnected, that is most likely the culprit.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Edited original post...I didn't hook the sub back to the ED amp after getting it to play with the 200w amp
Old 04-25-2007, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, I see. Well, maybe a couple things- the sub went bad then took the amp out, or the amp itself has had enough. I have seen it happen both ways. I was pounding on my system and the sub let go and took my amp out. It happened so fast I could not save it.

Now that is to say that all of your wires are indeed not shorted. Did you unhook both sides of the power and meter it to see if it was shorted? Sometimes a visual inspection will miss something.

troubleshooting is a blast huh?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm gonna have to get another meter, I have a analog and i cant read it for shiit. Nor do I know where to set it, I'm going to invest in a digital one.

I can understand if I was beating the hell out of it, but I wasn't

its a blast especially when you are ____ed/depressed all at the same time. Plus you don't have the money for a new one...
Old 04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have a few questions.
How long have you been running the setup?
Which 19ov.2 are you running, D2 or D4, and how many of them?
It is possible that there is nothing wrong with the 19ov.2. If you are running only one, and it is a D2, wired parallel, you are looking at a 1ohm load. Your 200 watt amp was probably not stable at that load and immediately went into protection mode. Disconnecting a coil dropped the load to 2ohm, which may have been a low enough load for the small amp to power it. The only way to be sure is to meter the coils of the 19ov.2 individually. My bet is that it is fine.
The Nine.1 sounds as though it does have a bad power supply. This would explain why it cooks its own fuses as well as the in-line. Ordinarily, a shorted speaker connection such as a shorted coil would kill the amp's fuse and stop there. The in-line generally doesn't blow unless there is a short from the power to ground.
If the setup is fairly new, and the power supply of the Nine.1 is indeed fried, then you shouldn't have any problem having the Nine.1 replaced as a factory defect. The Nine.1 lists as being capable of a 1ohm load, which is what 1 19ov.2 D2, wired parallel, would run. That being said, you were not running the amp beyond its listed capability.
Good luck. I hope it all works out.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by UV7
If the setup is fairly new, and the power supply of the Nine.1 is indeed fried, then you shouldn't have any problem having the Nine.1 replaced as a factory defect. The Nine.1 lists as being capable of a 1ohm load, which is what 1 19ov.2 D2, wired parallel, would run. That being said, you were not running the amp beyond its listed capability.
Thats what I'm afraid of. I just put it back in Saturday because I blew in before(19ov) and it wasnt under warranty, total it cost me over $200 more than what I paid for it, $140 to recone, $66 to send it back, and $30 to repackage and ship back...
Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, just a thought, whats the RE of the D2 if thats what your using...

the amp will actualy see more of the RE resistance comapred to it's rated ohm. the RE rate is the basic true ohm rate while the rated ohm rate is an average within it's playing area and this average is counting the huge spike in resistance at the FS. if a dual 2ohm is paralleled then it's MORE then likely it's below that 1ohm rating you think it's at while playing music, it could be for example sitting around 0.7ohm at which could have tripped the amp it's self and possibly made it caugh up like it's doing now.

you could take a battery like a 9v bat to the terminals of the sub, if you don't understand the meter *which i don't blaim ya, i do things the manual and hard way cause i don't understand the analog meters my self*. it's a real simple way of testing polarities, some speakers companies like JBL, Cerwin Vega and P. Audio in the live audio world reversed the polarities of some of thier speakers as a copy protection agenst cheap copy cat companies. you would take positive on positive with a 9v and if the cone poped forward then you knew the polarities were the way they were supose to be, if it poped backward then the polarities were reversed. you can do this just to see if the sub moves at all to begin with. if i'm not mistaken, if the VC is shorted it wont move at all because the energy is just turning to heat. so thats one cheap way of checking the VC. the 9v will pop and oved the cone a bit, it's VERY safe do to this, just don't hold the battery on there, just a touch for a second to see whats up.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

sounds like what happened to my NINe.1 i had to send it back to eD as mine arrived to me in that condition. my mainline fuse never blew, it was just the 4 fuses on the amp. i would turn on the radio, and then poof, there they go