Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Back window tint problem (tc)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Back window tint problem (tc)

They have tried 3 times to fix it. and each time its messed up. First they didnt go all the way to the top, and there was this stuff that looked like magic marker on the window space missing the window. So I told him i wanted the the whole window tinited, just like i did the first time. So he cut a piece of tint to fit in the missing part. Yea that worked. Looked like ____. So i told him dude, just replace the whole window or I want my money back just for that window. So he took like an hour, and i checked it out afterwards and it looked ok. Then when i got home i see that he didnt replace the window, he just cut about 4 inches from the top of the window all the way across, then cut a piece to try to fill the gap. So now I have like a 1cm (i know thats small but it still aint right) gap going all the way across my back window, about 6 inches from the top.

My question is, can they tint the whole window (over all the black dots,lines etc), because i am going back there tomorrow ot get my damn money back.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member

Default tint problem

i tint windows an the dots matrix it takes time to lay down but it will-- when I tinted my back window I did the top part in black vinal it looks good--- you can tape it off an use steelwool on it but stay away from the defroster lines or you can ruin them an you can use black spray paint but I would just use a piece of black vinal cleaner--

sorry about your problem--

sean
Old 07-07-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

i never had that problem. go take it back and b!tch at them.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get your money back and go elsewhere. They've used up their chances for your business.

Magic marker on the window?

I would have said refund please after the piecemeal attempt.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrbridge
Get your money back and go elsewhere. They've used up their chances for your business.

Magic marker on the window?

I would have said refund please after the piecemeal attempt.
I agree 100%.

I'm talking with a local window tinter that's been doing this for 25 years now.

He says he tints right over the dot matix, but he needs to use a glue to do it.
It looks like crap for about a month till the glue bakes (evaporates) in the sun
and eventually pulls the tint tight to the glass around the dot matix.

I wouldn't put up with cheap ___ install crap.

Take it somewhere else!!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Back window tint problem (tc)

Originally Posted by Vance
They have tried 3 times to fix it. and each time its messed up. First they didnt go all the way to the top, and there was this stuff that looked like magic marker on the window space missing the window. So I told him i wanted the the whole window tinited, just like i did the first time. So he cut a piece of tint to fit in the missing part. Yea that worked. Looked like poopie. So i told him dude, just replace the whole window or I want my money back just for that window. So he took like an hour, and i checked it out afterwards and it looked ok. Then when i got home i see that he didnt replace the window, he just cut about 4 inches from the top of the window all the way across, then cut a piece to try to fill the gap. So now I have like a 1cm (i know thats small but it still aint right) gap going all the way across my back window, about 6 inches from the top.

My question is, can they tint the whole window (over all the black dots,lines etc), because i am going back there tomorrow ot get my damn money back.

i am a window tinter (15 years), yes if they use a bigger roll (40 inch) they can cover the whole thing, as far as the matrix laying down (little dots) it can be a problem , i wet sand them with steel wool and get pretty good results
Old 07-07-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you tinter sounds like he's just hoping you'll go away by using the quick-fix methods - and then spent an hour just to lay in a double-cut seam he hoped you wouldn't see.

tC's are EASY cars to tint, he just sounds like an idiot, half assing the job.

I don't recall a tC having a wide ceramic matrix at the top - but it may - I forget - but it don't matter, those are easy to deal with and should be a relative non-issue if he knows what he's doing.

BTW - "extra glue" doesn't take a month to dry - it takes about 1 day or less.

*DIRTY LITTLE TINTER SECRET REVEALED*

that magical tinter's glue they apply between the film and the glass to act as a filler to displace the air cuasing the irregular whitish pattern in the dot matrix area.. it's just plain 'ol water based glue. Usually whatever was cheapest. Elmers (usually the clear dry blue gel stuff) or a clear liquidy product that comes in a long tube with an applicator tip (available in any dollar store, office supply store and Walmart...) It's nothing special - although it works. Just don't let them bullsh*t you into thinking they got some wonder substance only they can get. It's not.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

glue??? hmmm. i dunno. i watched the tinter do my windows and i saw no glue involved... it turned out perfect. i dont see wut the big deal is? go take it to some other place.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get ouf it it anyway that you can. The first redflag is not that it wasn't done correctly, but that they FILLED IT IN with what appeared to be marker.
wool over your eyes. Do not ever underestimate your people to earn a buck. That's the only thing I'd need to take my business somewhere else.
Find out how much it would cost to just do the back window somewhere else. If you paid with a credit card then deny part of that payment if this installer refuses to honor you.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SOME tinters. There are only about a dozen ways to address the dots. Glue was mentioned becuase Lonely Raven referrenced that his tinter mentioned doing that to his car.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man you gotta lay into this guy!
He's trying to get away with this crap thinking you won't come back. Talk to the manager
or owner, get it done right. Persistence will pay off in this type of situation.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:58 AM
LED
5 Year Member

A light wet sanding over the area works fine. No glue.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your guys tinted your window in strips, go somewhere else....strips is the easy way out and 9 of 10 times won't look as good as a solid piece....the dots used to be a big problem for tinters because the film doesn't like to stick to them cause the difference in texture.....there is a special glue that I've used before that you apply with an irrigation serenge...