Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Fuses Vs. Hid Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fuses Vs. Hid Kit

Ok, so today while I was driving the fuse for my passenger headlight with my 8000k hid bulb pops, I pulled over and swapped it out for a 20 amp fuse and i was good, a few hours later it popped again and I replaced it with a 10, 15, 25, and they all popped, i finally dropped a 30 in and it seems to be working for now but I do not think its a good idea and was told something could be wrong to be running it like this,
I figure i would get at least a few more opinions before i rip it out . .
Old 06-03-2008, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How are the hids hooked up??
Did you use a separate "relay harness" to keep the stock wiring safe?
During initial start up the ballasts draw way more current than the stock wiring can handle and some have fried/melted there stock wiring.
If you have a relay harness did you tape up the unused stock light plug to keep out water/debris this would cause it to blow a fuse.
After that make sure the relay is somewhere that water cant collect some have rusted out the connections from water exposure.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:17 AM
SL Member

hi there

i'm curious too, i just installed mine but nothing has come up or pop yet. but would like to be prepared if it does.

i bought my digital kit from umnitza. i have a tc though so not sure if it makes a difference?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what I have been told, the problem with my kit is that running it from the stock harness is a no no, it will shorten the lifetime of the ballast and stock harness, and first hand I am seeing it, so i removed it before it could do any real damage. Now what else I was told is if i relayed the power from the battery rather than stock harness it would be better, so it looks like im guna have to go snag a new kit with relay. .
Old 06-08-2008, 05:15 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by biancoxb
from what I have been told, the problem with my kit is that running it from the stock harness is a no no, it will shorten the lifetime of the ballast and stock harness, and first hand I am seeing it, so i removed it before it could do any real damage. Now what else I was told is if i relayed the power from the battery rather than stock harness it would be better, so it looks like im guna have to go snag a new kit with relay. .
what kind of HID kit did you buy?

how long have you had it in there before you started to notice the problems?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

about a year ironically when the warranty is now up , the stock harness started to literally melt on one side of the stock harness plug and the ballast was starting to rust, I have no clue what brand it was unfortunately, but if i buy a plug and play in the future, can i buy a relay so i can run power from battery ?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:44 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by biancoxb
about a year ironically when the warranty is now up , the stock harness started to literally melt on one side of the stock harness plug and the ballast was starting to rust, I have no clue what brand it was unfortunately, but if i buy a plug and play in the future, can i buy a relay so i can run power from battery ?
yea the harness typically is $20 (search on here for HID vendors so you can buy directly from them). we have a seller on here that sells digital ballast kits that he claims does not require a harness. i just installed mine yesterday so i'll be monitoring the wires carefully the next 6 months.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

ebay is a little more expensive, i found a hit for 35 shipped i think.

good luck. and thx for the info =)