Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help finding an amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help finding an amp

ive got 2 12" JBL 200 watt subwoofers (were givien to me) my question is.. what a good Affordable amp i can use with these? and do you think i will have to upgrade the stock speakers to something better? also anyone have any idea where a good place to mount it is? my sub box kinda takes up most of the area in the back (ill post pics soon)..

based on prices alone ive looked at the Jensen POWER900 and the InsigniaŽ - 1000W Bridgeable 2-Channel Amplifier, however im a n00b on this topic and really have no idea what would be best for me..

any help is greatly appreciated

*updated* pics

Old 12-29-2007, 05:32 PM
SL Member

Well, I have no idea about which one you could get, but...

You can put the amp under your driver or passenger seat.
Or mount it in the window.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seeing that you are not apossed to the used concept of electronics, I would go to your local pawn shops and see what amps they have available. you should be able to find a good quailty amp for an affortable price.

First off, I would stay away from new amps that are cheap because you get what you pay for!! Watch your amp ratings, You said you were looking at a 1000watt amp to power 2 x 200 watt subs?? Try to stay a little closer on your rating or keep your gains down very low or you will be looking for new subs next.

The stock speakers are not too bad, but upgrading to "higher" quailty always improves the sound.
Are you running a stock deck? If you are, you will need a RCA line convertor to get the RCA connection for your amp. If you are not planing on getting other amps to power the other speakers, I would run my power and signal back to the rear and mount the amp in the storage spot next to the spare tire. That way you can just unhook the speaker box and remove when you have a large load and need the space.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If you've got the specific model number on those particular 12s, we could point you in the direction of the proper amplifier. Most 12s can handle more than 200w, but we need to make sure exactly what woofers you are using before you commit to a larger output amplifier. As CanxB stated, 1000w on those 12s if they can only take 400-500w peak is going to be a bad thing.
The xB has several convenient mounting spots for amplification. The stealthiest spot would be in the cubby next to the spare tire. Under the passenger seat is another excellent spot that provides plenty of available space. A few important things to consider when choosing a spot are:
Enough air flow over the heatsink to keep the amp cool
As little visibility as possible in order to prevent theft
As close as possible to the amplifier's ground connection (The shorter the ground wire, the less likely you are to induce noise into the system.)
Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out elementaldesign.com They got subs at great prices and there amps are well priced too. Everyone that has ED poduct raves about them.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BurxBox
Check out elementaldesign.com They got subs at great prices and there amps are well priced too. Everyone that has ED poduct raves about them.
this site has nothing to do with amps, or subs, or stereos, or music, or automotive.. or anything at all for what im looking for..
Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry here's the link http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php
Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by PakanaHerruus
Originally Posted by BurxBox
this site has nothing to do with amps, or subs, or stereos, or music, or automotive.. or anything at all for what im looking for..
Now THAT'S funny!
www.elementaldesign.com might help if you intend on planting a garden in your xB.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If you want to learn way too much about car stereos and what all the numbers and specs mean then I would highly recommend you pick up Car Stereo Cookbook: 2nd Edition. I am sure you can find it at places other than Crutchfield, but I knew they had it. It will really open your eyes to the art of making a bad a$$ sound system. This book even gets down into the math behind box sizes, types, sub matching even how to make your own crossovers. So, that is my recommendation. No one can actually give you good advice on what exactly to buy with the info you gave us since you do not differentiate between peak and RMS wattage, 2ohm or 4ohm speakers, single or dual voice coil, box size, ported/unported and even then, without the right knowlage, you will have a hard time making it sound good without blowing anything up. That is very very important.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also try this for free http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ics.asp~FID~16