Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HID relay Harness fuse blows out

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HID relay Harness fuse blows out

I've decided to ask for help on here cuz this problem and HIDs in general have been driving me crazy. I bought HIDs from MOD Express from here and when I installed them with the relay harness I bought from them, the HIDs would flicker sometimes and the temperature did not look like 5k. They told me to go ahead and try switching the bulbs from one side to the other and that didn't seem to help. So, they told me they will send me a new set of bulbs, sent a picture of the current bulbs wires cut and they sent me new bulbs.

I receive the new bulbs and the problem was still there, they would flicker. So, then they requested me to cut up the ballasts and the bulbs and they'd send me a new kit, great, the problem should be fixed. Meanwhile, I ran my halogens and before I installed the new kit they sent me, my car battery died and replaced the car battery.

I receive the new kit (ballasts, bulbs and relay harness) and installed the ballasts and bulbs but did not replace the relay harness because it had never been the problem. The HIDs ran well, not sure if they were any brighter than halogens but whatever, the temperature seemed to be a bit closer to 5k and they did not flicker.

Yay! Finally, the problem is resolved. Not so fast. 2-3 weeks after install I go start my car and my HIDs and they don't turn on. When they didn't turn on, I saw that my speedo went all wonky, the lights in the car flickered and one of my brake lights looked like it was dying out. After inspection, I saw that the relay harness fuse (20) blew out.

I attempted to run it without the relay harness and the lights still would not turn on. In fear that that something went terribly wrong, I get my halogens and pray that they work. Installed the halogens and they indeed did work. While running my halogens, my speedo hasn't acted all wonky, only one light kept flickering which I suspected could be that the LED was on its last legs and one of my LED brake lights also stayed flickering. I replaced my brake lights and problem was solved but the interior oven light still flickered. (Still think that LED is about to burn out)

I communicate the problem to MOD Express about what had happened and they did not know what the problem could be and advised me to pay more for a "higher" quality kit. For now, I do not want to pay an additional $20-30 to what I already had paid.

At this point I felt like all my time troubleshooting, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling had been wasted and I was reaching a breaking point. I told MOD Express that I am not paying more for a better quality kit and was going to try and troubleshoot this on my own.

Today I replaced the relay harness's fuse from a 20 to a 30 because MOD Express told me either one could be installed into the relay harness. Connected everything back up, turned the lights on and NOTHING. The fuse once again blew on the relay harness and one of the connectors on my battery sparked. Back to the halogens I went and those still work, thank goodness.

So here I am trying to get some advice from all of you. What can I do to correct this problem and what am I doing wrong? Sorry for the lengthy post.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see you replaced the bulbs and harness, did MODXpress ever replaced your ballasts?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stankyrice
I see you replaced the bulbs and harness, did MODXpress ever replaced your ballasts?
They first sent out new bulbs and then they sent out new bulbs, ballasts and a harness. I didn't replace the harness but I replaced the bulbs and ballasts. First set of ballasts and bulbs at least turned on. Second set turned on for a few weeks and then all of a sudden blew the fuse in the relay harness.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm well hids shouldn't mess up your spedo, have you checked if your alternator and battery are putting out the correct voltage? It looks as though something isn't stable in your electrical system. Are you running any amplifiers? Anything else hooked up to your battery?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stankyrice
Hmmm well hids shouldn't mess up your spedo, have you checked if your alternator and battery are putting out the correct voltage? It looks as though something isn't stable in your electrical system. Are you running any amplifiers? Anything else hooked up to your battery?
I haven't checked the voltage and i'm not running anything else. I've ran Umnitza HIDs without a relay before and based on price, those would be less quality than the MOD Express HID's and they ran great with no problems. Nothing in my car had changed when I had the first kit. Only variables that have changed, was a new kit and a new car battery. But even with the new car battery, the kit ran fine for 2-3 weeks before it blew the relay's fuse.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any reason why a relay harness' fuse would blow?

Last edited by HoldFastHope; 08-28-2012 at 04:45 AM.