Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HVAC Lighting / Color Theory

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HVAC Lighting / Color Theory

Okay before everybody tells me to go read the tech article, I have gone through it many times. It has been a significant help and thanks to everybody that has been contributing.

This is the deal. I have done the “add your own led to the oem wedge” mod, and just like everyone else it looked n the middle but dim towards the outside.

I decided to switch all my leds and cathodes to orange so I wanted to update the hvac area. I got some of these neo wedge things from autolumination.com

They fit great but the same thing is going on, super bright in the middle with dim edges.

I think to go with my orange lighting scheme im going to go to a white backlighting for the hvac. I have heard the incandescent version of the autolumination neo wedge doesn’t get dim on the edges since its more like the oem bulb than the leds. But alas, it doesn’t come in white. Any ideas?

I have also tried to sand down the leds to get a better distribution and all that but I still cant get it right.

I am thinking about trying to put two 4” cathodes back there. I know people have done it by removing the clear plastic piece that helps spread the light. I guess I would tap these in to the loom so they would turn on and off with the lights. I also thought about doing the same thing with mounted leds.

Do any of you guys have any advice for me? I have orange underdash cathodes; led clusters in the grab handles; leds in the vents, cupholders, and grocery hooks. The orange is a really nice color and this makes the amber look even worse.

First of all, do you have any advice on what color the hvac controls should be, I was thinking white but purple may be okay also, but I will take any advice.

Second, what can I do about the radio and clock amber? I know there is the led switch but besides that is there anything?

Lastly, if you have any comments at all I would love to hear them.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have no electrical help, but, I'd love to see you get some blue lights t put in the vents too. Then, hook it up so when the heat is on, you get the orange glow....switch to A/C, get the blues going.......
Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used 5mm 10,000 mcd led's with the tip sanded flat, then I put the yellow silicone boot from the incandescent bulb over them. It was tough to get on, but it helped with distributing the light.

The led swap is your only option for the radio (as far as I can figure).
Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds great, any other ideas on way to light up the hvac panel? i think im probably going to go with white now that i really think about it. let me know...
Old 02-04-2007, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice
Old 02-04-2007, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Sand down the tip of the LED. Take it as far down as you can without disturbing the diode. i did this and it lights up the whole area perfectly, even the AC buttons light up fully.

I didn't use the holders. I suspended the LED in the hole so I could push the LED back 3 or 4mm. Now the light has enough room to spread out.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:42 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

can't do anything but change the leds on the clock... which are 4-1206 sized surface mount leds...

and then the radio.... best to get an aftermarket deck really. not worth it imo to change the leds out... even though there's money to be made for the person who does them..
Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey thanks for all the input, i will let you guys know what i decide to do.