Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need Help-dealer armrest/installing cathodes

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default Need Help-dealer armrest/installing cathodes

I've searched the forum and can't find specific help for my problem, hoping someone here can guide me.

I purchased a cold cathode kit to install on my xB.
The kit comes with all the parts and pretty detailed instructions.
Trouble is .... these instructions begin with removing the center cousole on a xB that does NOT have a previously dealer installed armrest. (which I have)

The first item on the instruction's is:
"remove the felt pad + mounting screw from the rear compartment of the center console".
Trouble is .... Since I have a dealer istalled armrest, I can neither see nor get to that mounting screw.
So, I need to start off with removing the dealer installed armrest.
I have no instructions on how to do this.

Has anyone here removed a dealer installed armrest and put one back on ??
I emailed Randode (from whom I purchased the cathode kit) .... his reply was that he doesn't have an armrest so no further instructions on how to remove the arm rest or how to put it back on when done with the cathode install.

I searched the forums, and the DIY's here are for other OEM armrest install's .... I don't see any write ups about the model the dealer installs.

Can anyone help me out ?
I don't have alot of experience with DIY, actually this is my first try at anything like this.
I don't wanty to screw up my baby and not be able to put this back together.

Thanks for any help you can give !
Old 08-29-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

There's a screw that you have to remove to get the armrest off, then you can get to the wire clip and other screw that your instructions say to removed from under the felt pad.

Take a look at the armrest intall sheets and see if that helps ya to remove it. Below is the link.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTS32-52050-XXinst.pdf
Old 08-29-2006, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for your reply LeroyJMC, I appreciate it !
The link you provided was just what I needed to see.
That heavy tension wire clip is what is giving me trouble.

After more thought ... I called around and I am gonna have a local Auto Sound/Light store do this install for me.
Their prics are a bit steep, but I don't want to get into something over my head.
That wire clip that helps hold the arm-rest -- appears to be installed with some bit of tension, and I just don't know that I could handle this.
The wire clip is a bit larger gauge than a coat hanger -- and is holding it all together under alot of tension.
I can see me getting this all torn apart and then not being able to put it back together.
Not to use femininity as an excuse ..... but as a chick with little knowledge about Auto DIY projects - I just am afraid this has turned into a project too much for my skills.

I have an appt tomorrow at noon .... and I will be sporting some cool lighting !

Thanks again for your reply.

PS ...
The Auto Sound/Light store is gonna charge by the 1/2 hour increments to do this install (no parts - the kit I bought contains the wire harness, rocker switch, cathodes, and all other parts).
Over the phone the guy estimated this would be a 1 and 1/2 hour job (90 minutes) -- does that sound about right to everyone ??
Old 08-30-2006, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member

WoooHoo !!
I got the cathodes installed this morning, and even though its not dark enough out yet to really appreciate them at their best - they look fantastic already.

I had them installed at a local Car audio/lighting shop .... they were very fair with the price for me. I will be going back to them for install of a DVD system and a Billet grill - so they gave me a big break on doing this job for me.

I wanna give a HUGE thanks to Randy (Randode.com) for turning me on to the cathodes and for his very patient emails with me trying to help me out.
THANKS RANDY !!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Glad to hear that they did a good job for you without raping your wallet...er pocketbook. I've gotta get myself some interior lighting sometime. Deffinitely like the looks of em. Throw up some pics of them sometime.