Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New amp install - dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New amp install - dumb question

Please help this total car audio noob. I am installing an amp for the first time and I have a question that may have an obvious answer - I just don't know what it is. The manual says, and I quote,

"Connect one end of an in-line fuse connector to the power cable. Connect the other end of the fuse holder to the positive battery post. Make sure the in-line fuse holder is within 18 inches of the battery. The fuse location will protect the system and the vehicle against the possibility of a short circuit in the power cable. Be sure to use a fuse and a fuse holder adequate for the application. Do not insert a fuse at this time. The maximum fuse rating for this amplifier is 2 X 20A. CAUTION! Replacing a fuse with one of a higher rating may cause damage to the amplifier and the vehicle's electrical system."

The amp has two 20A fuses in it. I understand that I am not to go bigger than that if I blow one. My question is what size fuse goes into the in-line fuse holder? Do I add the two 20A fuses to make a 40A fuse or do I use a 20A fuse? The fuse holder I have accepts 4GA cable input and 2x8GA outputs so I assume I have the adequate fuse holder. What size fuse?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Mike
Old 06-17-2005, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member

most likely one of the fuses is a replacemant at least thats how most amps are so your probably only drawing 20 amps of current you would be more than safe running 8 gauge with a 40 amp fuse in the holder as long as your power cable doesnt go more that 17 feet
Old 06-17-2005, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the fuse holder usually comes with the wiring kit that connects your amp to your battery. If you used your own wire you should get yourself a nice fuse holder and a fuse. I believe they are normall 100 amp.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dos210
most likely one of the fuses is a replacemant at least thats how most amps are so your probably only drawing 20 amps of current you would be more than safe running 8 gauge with a 40 amp fuse in the holder as long as your power cable doesnt go more that 17 feet
I agree with this.

The fuse that's by the battery side (within 18" of battery post by the way), is to
protect the battery and the power cable it's connected to in case of short.
The 20A in the amp itself is to protect it's internals.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I should go with a 40A at the in-line? Thanks a bunch, guys. After I get the install done I will send some pics out. I am putting the amp in the passenger side rear window in a rack I am making right now at work. I love getting paid to do my own personal stuff!

Thanks again,
Mike