Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Okay, which head unit?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Thread Starter
 
Zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DubV
Posts: 1,267
Default

Okay, I bought the Pioneer pictured above.

The prices on Amazon move up and down frequently.
I think it went down slightly but the free shipping was gone.

I got the iPod cable and the remote too, total was $476.

Zman is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 06:13 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
iTrader: (3)

 
Domo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,006
Default

make sure you do a bypass on the speed sensors and mute, so you can watch movies on the move.
Domo is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 04:40 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Thread Starter
 
Zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DubV
Posts: 1,267
Default

Originally Posted by Domo View Post
make sure you do a bypass on the speed sensors and mute, so you can watch movies on the move.
Yeah I read some things about that. I have to connect the parking brake wire to a switch then to a ground or something? I'm not sure.

I'm pretty pumped to get this thing though. I'm glad I went with Pioneer.
Zman is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
iTrader: (3)

 
Domo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,006
Default

yea i forgot how i did mine but its simple. Go to the avic forum and they should have diys.
Domo is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member
 
Sciond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: What's in your box...
Posts: 14,925
Default

Originally Posted by Zman View Post
Okay, I bought the Pioneer pictured above.

The prices on Amazon move up and down frequently.
I think it went down slightly but the free shipping was gone.

I got the iPod cable and the remote too, total was $476.

nice pick up
Sciond is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 02:27 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member
 
Sciond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: What's in your box...
Posts: 14,925
Default

Originally Posted by Zman View Post
I wish I had $700 to spend on my head unit. That's awesome.


I will look around. People discuss what speakers they get but there is no way for me to know if they sound better.
I would do the dash ones first. The door ones are harder to install.




Is there any way this site is legit?
http://www.topcaraudio.com/products/...-RECEIVER.html

I found the nice Pioneer for cheaper than Amazon or Sonic but the site seems sketchy.

I'm about ready to get the credit card out, God help me.
both speakers are easy look for the highest sensitivity ...I run soundstreams in my dash
handles lots of power and plays fairly loud at a fair price with good sound quality
Sciond is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Thread Starter
 
Zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DubV
Posts: 1,267
Default

Originally Posted by Sciond View Post
both speakers are easy look for the highest sensitivity ...I run soundstreams in my dash
handles lots of power and plays fairly loud at a fair price with good sound quality
Thank you. What size did you get in there?
I would definitely get some 4" or bigger Soundtstreams to replace the puny dash speakers. I like the tarantula ones.

Originally Posted by Domo View Post
yea i forgot how i did mine but its simple. Go to the avic forum and they should have diys.
Will do.
Would it be similar for each Pioneer unit?


I also need some advice on getting the optional back up camera to fit in the wiper hole, how to seal it and such.

Last edited by Zman; 12-02-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Zman is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 AM
  #28  
Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
 
island_box59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Guam
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by Zman View Post
Okay, I bought the Pioneer pictured above.

The prices on Amazon move up and down frequently.
I think it went down slightly but the free shipping was gone.

I got the iPod cable and the remote too, total was $476.

Good choice on the HU. I ran BOSS for over a year before, had the whole system...HU, F-Ranges, Subs and they did great in my camry. Got the Box and had to upgrade to a finer brand, which I switched to the Pioneer and MTX brands. I think Pioneer does it all with tweeks so you got a deal there.
island_box59 is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Thread Starter
 
Zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DubV
Posts: 1,267
Default

Originally Posted by island_box59 View Post
Good choice on the HU. I ran BOSS for over a year before, had the whole system...HU, F-Ranges, Subs and they did great in my camry. Got the Box and had to upgrade to a finer brand, which I switched to the Pioneer and MTX brands. I think Pioneer does it all with tweeks so you got a deal there.
Thanks.

I only planned on spending $300 but then I would've wished I went for the unit I really wanted.

My only sub is an 8" Boss, it sounds fine under the seat honestly. I know it can't be heard from 2 blocks away but I'm not going for that anyway.
Zman is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 09:07 PM
  #30  
jct
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

 
jct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,950
Default

same here just gives it more of a lil bass sound into it
jct is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 10:14 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
iTrader: (3)

 
Domo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,006
Default

well when you get a chance..you should check out JL Audio shallow sub...honestly this is the best shallow sub on the market. When I say best, that is not an opinion, thats a fact.
Domo is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 PM
  #32  
jct
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

 
jct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,950
Default

i have a kenwood powered sub under my seat... its still doing a pretty good job at it too

i only paid 150 dollars for it
jct is offline  
Old 12-03-2009, 06:28 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Thread Starter
 
Zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DubV
Posts: 1,267
Default

Originally Posted by Domo View Post
well when you get a chance..you should check out JL Audio shallow sub...honestly this is the best shallow sub on the market. When I say best, that is not an opinion, thats a fact.
They are pretty expensive but amazing I bet.

You may be the best MW player, but I'm the best Forza 1, PGR2 player on SL haha. I used to play all the time before I got a darn job.
Zman is offline  
Old 12-03-2009, 06:40 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
iTrader: (3)

 
Domo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,006
Default

yea getting a job blows but you have to get paid to play.
Domo is offline  
Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member
 
Sciond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: What's in your box...
Posts: 14,925
Default

Originally Posted by Zman View Post
Thank you. What size did you get in there?
I would definitely get some 4" or bigger Soundtstreams to replace the puny dash speakers. I like the tarantula ones.

Will do.
Would it be similar for each Pioneer unit?


I also need some advice on getting the optional back up camera to fit in the wiper hole, how to seal it and such.
I have the 4" inch that take about 75W RMS continuous
PM about a camera mine is a tight fit and sealed with silicone
Sciond is offline  
Old 12-05-2009, 06:31 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Thread Starter
 
Zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DubV
Posts: 1,267
Default

Originally Posted by Sciond View Post
I have the 4" inch that take about 75W RMS continuous
PM about a camera mine is a tight fit and sealed with silicone
How did you get them fastened in? Or do they really screw in where the old ones were?
Zman is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

 
VIP_CAMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJ408-KC816-KS913
Posts: 1,947
Default

nice pick up. boss is garbage i was getting some video in my car and got me a soundstream dvd player and they only had boss screens left and didnt want to wait and i payed the price 3months down the road one of the screens burned out allready.boss looks like ish and is garbage...stay with name brands and you will not have any issues,,,
VIP_CAMO is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 03:27 AM
  #38  
Senior Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG
 
DOUGH_BOY_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: STRONG ISLAND, NY
Posts: 364
Default

going with the pioneer was a good choice! ...what site did you get it from? i have been looking at that sonicelectronix site but they really do have some crackhead prices to good to be true so im kinda worried bout ordering from them....
DOUGH_BOY_60 is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 04:50 AM
  #39  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Thread Starter
 
Zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DubV
Posts: 1,267
Default

Originally Posted by DOUGH_BOY_60 View Post
going with the pioneer was a good choice! ...what site did you get it from? i have been looking at that sonicelectronix site but they really do have some crackhead prices to good to be true so im kinda worried bout ordering from them....
Amazon. I've had trouble in the past but I hope it's okay this time. The UPS guy came today but I wasn't home to sign so I don't have it yet. I'm curious to see if it's new or refurb.
Zman is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 AM
  #40  
Senior Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Thread Starter
 
Zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DubV
Posts: 1,267
Default

I got it. It's new, made last September.

Now for installation which I'm not the best at...

Okay, good news.

Bypass and sub and everything working!

Only problem is that there are gaps on either side of the unit
and the supplied piece doesn't fit. What should I fill the gaps with?



Name:  Picture008.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  Picture011-2.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  Picture010-2.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  45.8 KB

Last edited by Zman; 12-11-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Zman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Okay, which head unit?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.