Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

please help!! double din tv problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default please help!! double din tv problem

hey, i bought a nice looking double din 6.5 in. dvd cd player all in one, but one thing sucks about it!! at night when i turn on my headlights the screen flashes "screen off for safety" the manual says it will do this with the parking brake.. when the parking brake is on you can watch tv and when its off you cant.. mine came to be when the lights are on it wont work. the harness from the headunit has a wire that says "parking" on it. without it hooked up to anything you still get a flashing off screen. i hooked it up to the positive dimmer from the metra harness which was the only available wire left. the orange colored wires also matched eachother. anyone know how i can get it to have a screen on all the time. if i can connect it to another source or something? please help
Old 09-08-2005, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if im not mistaken... our headlights also have parking lights... so u def connected the Parking brake lead to the Parking lights... u def need to reroute that wire either to a ground, or the parking brake...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you for reply and everyones views. ive solved it though.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How?

Incase someone has a similar issue, and searches, and finds this thread.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just ground the parking brake wire to the chassis. That works on all but the new-era gyro equipped models, which can't be fooled.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a bit off topic, but be sure to switch it off around police - a friend of mine received a ticket about 45 miles south of Dallas for watching TV as he cruised down I-35. Apparently, there is a new law here, but I'm not sure if it's a state-wide regulation or if it's only limited to certain counties.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Moved to ICE...
Old 09-08-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by texas1emt
It's a bit off topic, but be sure to switch it off around police - a friend of mine received a ticket about 45 miles south of Dallas for watching TV as he cruised down I-35. Apparently, there is a new law here, but I'm not sure if it's a state-wide regulation or if it's only limited to certain counties.
Let's say your passenger wanted to watch a movie... What's the rule? Can't be in view of the driver? I'm sure there's a huge write up on this but I'm extremely lazy and we're on the topic anyway...
Old 09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AFAIK, the rule as I've heard it states that if there's any kind of television in an area where the driver can view it, it's illegal. If you install them on the backs of seats for backseat passengers to watch, it's legal.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member

You guys are killing me....... I HAVE THE EXPERTISE TO MAKE EVEN THE NEW ERA GYRO-EQUIPPED UNITS WORK. I guess that makes me somewhat of a Super-Hero Video Guy.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: please help!! double din tv problem

Originally Posted by elegyelegy
hey, i bought a nice looking double din 6.5 in. dvd cd player all in one, but one thing sucks about it!! at night when i turn on my headlights the screen flashes "screen off for safety" the manual says it will do this with the parking brake.. when the parking brake is on you can watch tv and when its off you cant.. mine came to be when the lights are on it wont work. the harness from the headunit has a wire that says "parking" on it. without it hooked up to anything you still get a flashing off screen. i hooked it up to the positive dimmer from the metra harness which was the only available wire left. the orange colored wires also matched eachother. anyone know how i can get it to have a screen on all the time. if i can connect it to another source or something? please help
Most monitors are set to go off by law when the car is in motion .. to bypass this ,you just need to show the parking brake wire , ground .. the extra wire comming off the metra plug is NOT TO BE USED it is an dimmer swith control wire . CAP IT OFF .. this wire is used to dim down the dash lights and the radio lights .. just ground out the p/b wire and it should work great !
Old 09-08-2005, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... I thought the rule is that a monitor must be out of the site of the driver, not the passengers?
Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well ,, the rule in cali ,, is that NO MONITOR with a 3d image (reg tv , videos , ) can be in the forward direction of the drivers line of site ( ears ) .. you can have 2d images (navigation maps , cartoons ) ...
Old 09-08-2005, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

rear view cameras tend to be acceptable with most states too.. and the law usually states that any moving picture within view of the driver (WHILE DRIVING) is illeagal except for Navigation, and the bland background display. Then again this is all hearsay, I have a D1 connected to a PS2 but I never have gotten a ticket for it. but, I don't watch it when I drive, because I am already ADD so that would just be asking for a problem.

Although it has been argued here many of times, There is a reason for the law. But it is like speeding, everyone will do it, it is just that the ones who do it excessively and carelessly are the ones who wreck their cars and give right to these laws.

One law I don't understand is the various Tint laws.. but that is a little too far off topic.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChicagosFinest
One law I don't understand is the various Tint laws..
Agreed. I guess the police like to know what's going on inside your car.