Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Shoji Screen privacy curtain material

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member

Default Shoji Screen privacy curtain material

I want to make some privacy screens for my xB; thick plastic sheets that would either be velcroed into place or cut ever so slightly larger than the window opening, so tension would hold them into place.

I came across this site that sells “Shoji Screen” plastic.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=241&

At 3.75/foot it’s a bit more than I want to spend. Could make a great front windshield sunscreen tho.

But Hummm…just FYI.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to ask for or where to look for flexable, stiff, opaque plastic sheets similar in thickness to cardstock, or poster board? The shoji stuff is too expensive for untested ideas.
The art supply store only had clear stuff, I struck out at homedepot too.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No idea where to get the material off hand - but have you considered wher ein the world you're going to put these large relatively UNFOLDABLE sunscreens at??

You need screens that FOLD like normal. I have some that cusotm fit every window on the xB that hold in place with suction cups

Also, Soji type screening would not do much for any kind of heat control, it would be more of just a light FILTER (but, that may be what you're going for - not real sure)
Old 07-09-2004, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member

No idea where to get the material off hand - but have you considered wher ein the world you're going to put these large relatively UNFOLDABLE sunscreens at??
I wasn't sure about the shoji screen material, I was hoping it would roll up.
I'll probably just go with an off the shelf sun screen for the front, any suggestion on which one fit well on the Xb?

For the side and rear windows, I wanted to use black, cut it up and reassemble it, like a folding board game with black duct tape for the joints. That route would require a mounting system, they couldn't hold in place by tension if they folded.
Good suggestion on the suction cups. Humm, maybe if I put velcro on the stem of the suction cups and velcro on the foldable screen the bigger suction cups could store in one of the cubbys and I could fold and store the screens in the tire well, they should be thin enough.

Still getting an idea of the materials to use. Idealy it would foldable, easy to mount.
Suction cups would be great, but, the "big plan" to be able to stop overnight on road trips--with the cups I couldn't cutout flaps to put in Mosquito net to roll down the windows a bit.