Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Switch Blade (Audi Style) Keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

the CAR can only receive ITS OWN frequency. (like my VW key opening the Buick next to me) you program the KEY to send the frequency the CAR receives. not the other way around.

as for eBay keys...or it just looks factory. i know if i lost the key to my Porsche i wouldn’t want my replacement to say Nissan on it.

the only thing i can really see as a hurdle is the process of programming...say the VW key needs 3 pulses to be programmed and the scion key need 5 or something...i still want to try this..
Old 03-21-2007, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try it. It PROBABLY won't work. To me, it sounds like the "if you forget you remote at home, call someone at home and have them hold the remote to the phone and push unlock on the remote, and hold the phone next to the car and it will unlock the car" thing. And Your wrong about programming the key to the car. You program the car to the key.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyless_entry)

Programming Keyless Remotes

Programming fobs can be rather difficult and is often taken care of by dealerships. As fobs have become more prevalent in the auto industry sales of unprogrammed devices on sites like eBay have become popular. Some sites sell steps to program fobs for individual models of cars as well as accessory kits to remotely activate other car devices.

Remote keyless entry fobs emit a radio frequency with a designated FCC radio ID. In fact it is your car that is programmed in the process not the fob. In general, a procedure is done to put the car in 'programming mode'. This usually entails engaging the power in the car several times while holding a button or lever. It may also include opening doors, or removing fuses. The procedure can be different for different make, models, and years. Once in 'programming mode' one or more of the fob buttons is depressed to send the FCC radio ID to the cars on board computer. The computer saves the ID and the car is then taken out of 'programming mode'. The fob is ready for use.
BTW, I added italics, underline, and bold.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

step one - dont belive anything you read on wikipedia

step two - the frequnecy is what opens the door, regardless of where it came from. i know someones whos garage door opening unlocked a car at the mall.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love how krusty gets defensive but doesn't know what he/she's talking about. Just let it be dude! This is simply the frequency under which the car alarm is running, not what you heard from some dude across the street.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you know what you are talking about, Prove it. Show me any other brand Keyless Entry Remote Open a xB.

Just because you say something dosen't make it right. I offered proof. Now its your turn to prove me wrong, without saying my vw opened a buick or garage door opened a car. PROVE IT!

I love how krusty gets defensive but doesn't know what he/she's talking about. Just let it be dude! This is simply the frequency under which the car alarm is running, not what you heard from some dude across the street.
step one - dont belive anything you read on wikipedia

step two - the frequnecy is what opens the door, regardless of where it came from. i know someones whos garage door opening unlocked a car at the mall.
When I program my remote fobs to my car, I have to get my alarm to enter Program Mode. I do this by pressing a certain button, a certain amount of times, in a certain time period. Unless You Program a remote to a that system, it will not work. Why won't either one of you call any parts department or any stereo/alarm shop and ask them this question, If you don't believe me.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

the right frequency opens the doors. it doesnt matter where it comes from. there are ppl that build frequency scanners to open garage/car doors so they can rob them
Old 03-21-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=88878

- there ya go. small discussion about the things i wa talking about. there is only so many frequencies car companies can use...eventually things over lap. IE- why i could open the buick with my VW key.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, A frequency scanner/transmitter will send/receive hundreds/thousands of different frequencies. A alarm will only receive a certain frequency. There would be no need for it to accept differnet frequencies.

I accept that it is possible for scanner/transmitter to send a frequency that would unlock anything that uses rf frequencies. That is not what this discussion is about. For a VW remote to unlock a buick (completly different company) is next to impossible. Some manufactuers only use a certain number of keys patterns, and randomize which ones they use. It CAN happen, MOST LIKELY WILL NOT.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

it can and does happen alot more regularly then you realize. Just because you havnt experienced it doesn’t mean it cant happen. There is only so many codes they can use…Toyota sold what over 9mil cars in 06…your gonna tell me there arnt two that use the same frequency? That doesn’t even take into account every other car company. It happens.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once again, I said Probably. And I understand that not every single remote is different, I just said that.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

the newer remotes for cars use an encryption system to keep someone else from opening your car..

so if you had a freq scanner you could hit the same freq that your car uses, but without the encryption it won't unlock the door.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

that being said, I think you could program any car to your transmitter by going through the steps to program the car. (if that makes sense)

You basically tell the car- this is the freq to open you up.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ this guy rocks
Old 03-25-2007, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im sorry that looks gross to me