Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

TC: speaker mounting height/depth question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member

Default TC: speaker mounting height/depth question

Hey all. I tried searching for this but haven;t been able to find anything that helps me out. I basically need some info about speaker mounting height/depth in the scion tc. I am expecting to reieve my new tc this week (the wait has been excruciating) and am looking to put a new quality system in it.

So here are my questions:
1. Are both sets of speakers in the tc 6.5's? I believe I read that they are in this forum, but you'll see why I'm asking again in a sec.

2. Assuming that the front and rear speakers are 6.5's, I am confused, because the people at crutchfield tell me that only 5.25's will fit ine th front and only a few models of 6.5's in the rear.
-They say it has to do with the mounting height of the speakers, and because the mounting height is so limited in a tc (so they say) only 5.25s will fit in the front and only a few 6.5's in the rear. Is the BS? (I think it might be, given the systems I've seen people put in this car, but I want to make sure before I order my speakers online).

3. Finally, I would like an opinion on the following setups I'm considering for the car. I'm not loking to create something that can be heard down the block, just something that sounds really really good.

Head units: Either the Clarion ProAudio DXZ945MP, or the Pioneer Peh960 (anyone seen either of these in a tc yet?)

Speaker Septup #1 (lower budget): Polk MMC6500 components front and rear (if the fronts actually require 5.25s I'll use the mmc5250's), infinity basslink (either in the trunk or under the seat (Talked to an installer the other day who said the dual port lowprofile basslink could fit under the rear seat).

Setup #2: (higher budget): MBQuart PCE 216's front and rear (again I'll lower to the 5.25 PCE 213 if I have to in the front), infinity basslink (same as above).

Would love to hear some other options for components that I caould get over the net in the 200-500 dollar range that people know will fit in a tc . Also, any suggestions for under seat sub installs would be appreciated.

edited: for spelling
Old 10-10-2004, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK to start.

Get the Clarion Deck, much better than the Pioneer sound quality wise.

2. Rear speakers are 5.5", weird size I know. The depth is about 3 inches before it hits the actual body panel. I put a set of Directed 5.5" Components back there by making an MDF spacer and a little luck.

3. Front speakers are 6.5". But like some Toyotas the speakers are mounted on plates that you will most likely need to fabricate. I just installed some CDT EF61's in the front and made a 3/4 MDF spacer. The CDT is about 2.5" deep, if you use a 3/4" spacer there is still close to an inch of space before it would hit the window.

4. Polk sucks in my opinion. I would stay away from them. Honestly when I hooked up my Kenwood Excelon deck the factory speakers sounded very good, well atleast the fronts did. They have alot of bass and have a high spl.

You could look into CDT Classic or Euro Frame Series great speakers for the money. If you are planning on upgrading speakers an amp is essential.

5. You are not getting a basslink under the rear seat. If i'm thinking correct an Infinity Basslink is what ur referring to. If so no way in hell is it gonna fit.

6. MB Quart makes some great speakers but the tweeters can be a bit harsh and midbass is usually lacking quite a bit.

7. Just get some cheap coaxs to go in the back. I did components which most time is overkill, but being the front speakers are amped and I have the rears turned off by the internal deck of my Kenwood it doesn't mess up my imaging. I only turn them on when people are sitting in the back, which is like never. Main concern is your front stage.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member

Get the Clarion Deck, much better than the Pioneer sound quality wise.
ok- was leaning that way anyways. Had my HU ripped out of my current ride 3 times so I definitely want the removable faceplate 9which the pioneer unit does not have). Plus the SQ is better, i like the pro logic II feature, and I like the touchpanel controls with the clarion unit.

Rear speakers are 5.5", weird size I know. The depth is about 3 inches before it hits the actual body panel. I put a set of Directed 5.5" Components back there by making an MDF spacer and a little luck. Front speakers are 6.5".
-huh? I checked out your previous posts and I know you replaced the rears in your tc, so you should know whats going on, but the 5.5 size makes it all the more confusing about the speaker size. Some people say 6.5's, some say 6.75, now you say 5.5. Plus crutchfield lists 6.5 components as being ok for the rear, but only 5.25 in the front. yet you say the fronts are 6.5's. <shaking head in bewilderment>

Polk sucks in my opinion. I would stay away from them.
hmm.. I will definitely take your opinion into consideration, but I really like the polk db's in my current car. Though they did replace POS stock paper speakers, so anything would sound better I guess. LOL

If you are planning on upgrading speakers an amp is essential.
-I know an amp helps things, and I may add one later, but for my purposes (sounds good at "moderate" volume, which is probably pretty low for some of the guys in here), the HU amp in the clarion should provide enough power for the time being.

You are not getting a basslink under the rear seat.
-LOL, you are probably right, I was just relaying what an installer told me this afternoon that he had actually done to a tc with the Basslink T. The thing is ~8inches high, so it might be a possibility if you rip out the rear seat, stick it in perfectly under the center of the rear seat (thinking it might have more room under the center of the seat then the edge), and bolt the seat on over it.

MB Quart makes some great speakers but the tweeters can be a bit harsh and midbass is usually lacking quite a bit.
-Yeah I loved them when I heard em today. I did think the highs were a bit bright, but I figured this could be controlled with some EQ adjustments.