Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Water on the floor in the back seat.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well our boxes just seem to like getting Wet. I guess I'm going to have to get one of those SexBox stickers now.
Contrary to some belief my leak appears to be solved by cleaning out my fenders.
I haven't been running my ac for awhile but I didn't use it much in the summer either. I have checked the condesation drain and it was fine, it was draining regularly.
I know it sounds crazy but pulling back the wheel well liner and cleaning out the crap worked for me.
Good luck to the rest of ya swimming at 65mph.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoxinBuzz
... my leak appears to be solved by cleaning out my fenders... pulling back the wheel well liner and cleaning out the crap worked for me...
Could you describe how to do this in more detail?
So you pull on the liner to get behind it, rather than remove the liner?
How can crap get behind the liner?
How does water from behind the liner get inside the car?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by vintage42
Could you describe how to do this in more detail?
So you pull on the liner to get behind it, rather than remove the liner?
How can crap get behind the liner?
How does water from behind the liner get inside the car?
the fender liner has several plastic pop in retainers... some that you use a flat head screwdriver to pop up the center piece and remove, and some that just pry up and come out.. think about 8-10 combined
*easier to do if you jack the car up and let the tire hang down some

after removing the retaining clips you can pull the liner down and get to the area behind it while not completely removing it.

crap gets behind the liner from stuff falling ontop of the car between the windshield and hood... remove the wipers and a few more retainers to pull it out main culprit is pine needles and small leaves.

as for how does the water get into the car... i'm still working on that
Old 12-10-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^Yep, what he said.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Water on the floor in the back seat.

Has anyone else noticed this? For about a month now when it rains I've noticed a good amount of water on the drivers side floor in the back....
See thread below about drain plugs in the rear floor. Someone had broken the plugs watertight seal to run wiring for under car lighting.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ht=water+floor
Old 05-27-2019, 05:22 AM

Default same problem

I have the same issue except it's on the passenger side for the most part. Seems to be leaking through the panoramic sunroof but not for sure since it is traveling through the car and not not actually dripping. I already fixed where there was a clog up front and it seems to have stopped.
Has anyone else noticed this? For about a month now when it rains I've noticed a good amount of water on the drivers side floor in the back.
I had in-channel rain guards, thinking they might be pushing out the weather stripping I removed them. Yesterday the floor was bone dry. Today, soaked, there was nothing wet besides the floor.
Can anyone help?
Old 05-27-2019, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rocknaway
I have the same issue except it's on the passenger side for the most part. Seems to be leaking through the panoramic sunroof but not for sure since it is traveling through the car and not not actually dripping. I already fixed where there was a clog up front and it seems to have stopped.
Passenger side front or rear? What do you mean by water traveling through the car and not actually dripping?
Water on the floor is not going to come from loose to clogged moonroof drains unless it drips from the ceiling. And then it would drip from the corners of the moonroof gutter.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:58 PM

Most definitely sunroof drains. They run through the interior of the car to get to the bottom exterior of the car. Somewhere along those lines is a clog and the water has to go somewhere so it empty I to floor board. The rear floor board I'm still researching because cleaning the sun roof drains solved the front but now the passenger rear is flooded. I'm going to pull the finder but I think since a panoramic sunroof that there is drains at the back of it to I will keep you updated.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Danielle0606
Most definitely sunroof drains. They run through the interior of the car to get to the bottom exterior of the car. Somewhere along those lines is a clog and the water has to go somewhere so it empty I to floor board. The rear floor board I'm still researching because cleaning the sun roof drains solved the front but now the passenger rear is flooded. I'm going to pull the finder but I think since a panoramic sunroof that there is drains at the back of it to I will keep you updated.
The moonroof has a perimeter gutter with a drain tube at each corner. The tubes run down the front and rear pillars to the wheel wells.
If a tube gets plugged, the gutter overflows and water drips from the ceiling.
If a tube comes loose from its connection on the gutter, water again drips from the ceiling.
Water from the gutter or a disconnected drain tube does not empty to the floor; it must drip from the ceiling to the floor.
The xB in this video has the same power moonroof as mine did, and the drains are shown in the first couple of minutes:

Old 06-23-2022, 07:17 PM

Default Scion tC 2011, kinda same problem

Ive got the rear passenger footwell fully soaked and rear driver footwell sometimes partially soaked.
It’s not the AC stuff as this is in front of the car. I’ve seen that we don’t have sunroof drains on our cars.

Anyone know what might solve this issue? Can people who have solved their wet issues reply with any pictures or say how they’ve solved this??
Old 10-02-2022, 04:52 AM

my dr floor was getting wet so I pulled the back seat bottom and trunk stuff out to look for moisture and I found some but it wasn't obvious where it came from. So I took a watercolor pencil and made drew lines all over the place to show when it gets wet. The culprit was the screw hole that mounts the side trunk panels. The pocket for the screw ends in the outer wheel well and the end had opened up. Some rubberized undercoating in the wheel well fixed that. When I stripped the interior for sound deadening install I found several drain plugs in the floor that have become loose fitting over the years, sealed them up with undercoat as well before I laid down the butyl mat as a precautionary measure.