Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xb1 audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 PM

For that price they better be! ;) Feel free to PM me if I don't respond on the forum.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by corbmonster
For that price they better be! ;) Feel free to PM me if I don't respond on the forum.

Sounds good.

I didnt get a chance to take a pic today, busy at work and then off to a bday part and when I got back it was dark. I will try to get pics tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:43 PM

Quick question on audio.

I just replaced the dash speakers on my scion xb. I un soldered the factory wires from the crappy OEM speakers to use the connector to attach my new alpine speakers to the wires so they would plug into the factory wiring.

They sound GREAT except for there is a high pitched humm noise when the volume is muted or when its low. You cant hear it when you turn the music up.

The reason I did the factory wiring on these speakers is because I will use my other alpine speakers and amp for the door and rear speakers and figured I could use the stock deck power to power the dash speakers using the factory wiring.

Below is a video of what I am talking about, you can really hear it when I put the camera on the dash area, its a high pitched tone that never goes away. Other than that the speakers sound great and the factory speakers did not have this tone either. just started once I plugged in the new speakers.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/shay_ca/video-2013-06-08-15-42-21_zps21cba5c5.mp4(click above picture, turns into a video)

Below is a picture of the factory connector and wiring, I soldered my new speaker wires onto the blue connector wire ends, just so you know what I am talking about then plugged it into the factory wiring.

Name:  2013-06-08141337_zps5298c8fa.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  50.6 KB

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 PM

also here is a pic of the basslink under the passenger seat.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:47 PM

Name:  2013-06-06185151_zpsd35bc58b.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 06-09-2013, 01:00 AM

I'm digging that basslink bro!. The culprit for for high pitch whine is most likely a bad ground somewhere. (when you drive with the radio on mute, or paused, does the whine get louder when you press the pedal?) It could be from the wiring of your headset, or wiring up the sub. Usually it's the sub in these cases. Unhook the rca cables from your headunit. Unhook the positive power from your car. Unhook the ground from your car, and unhook the remote. Just to be clear: don't unplug the wires from your amp / sub. Unplug everything from where it connects to your car. See if the whine still happens. If it's still going on, take a look at the head unit. Make sure none of the other speaker wires are exposed and touching other things.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 AM

here's the weird part.

The basslink is not even hooked up, its just sitting under the seat, no wires attached.

the deck has been working all week, just been running the stock speakers, nothing else. I swapped out the dash speakers and took off the wiring harness and then attached that harness to the wires that came with the new alpine 410 speakers, soldered those all together and taped the connections with electrical tape. The new speakers now get the high pitched tone, none of the others get it. I even hooked up my 6.5's to the dash connections and they get the hum too. Not sure why its doing that!!!!!!!!

The connections at the wiring harness for the deck and the deck wiring harness are all soldered and electrical taped up super good, so i dont think its that.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:58 PM

:/ If you connect the original speakers, does it still make the noise? Just to be clear: the only speakers you have changed out are the dash speakers right?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 PM

:/ If you connect the original speakers, does it still make the noise? Just to be clear: the only speakers you have changed out are the dash speakers right?
Only changed out the double din and the dash speakers. Have not had time to switch stock back, at hospital with my wife giving birth

Ill have to check again later in the week

- Shay
Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 AM

Congrats bro! I'll keep both of you in my prayers. I'd reconnect the stock dash speakers and ride with those for a day to trouble shoot. Or, pull your head unit and connect your aftermarket speakers straight to the head unit to rule out the wiring between the HU and speakers.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:26 AM

Congrats bro! I'll keep both of you in my prayers. I'd reconnect the stock dash speakers and ride with those for a day to trouble shoot. Or, pull your head unit and connect your aftermarket speakers straight to the head unit to rule out the wiring between the HU and speakers.
Thanks.

I finally got around to the crutchfield adapters. Plugged them in and attached to the speakers and still have the same problem buzzzzzzzzzzzz

I will see if I can re attach the stock speakers this week and check that again.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:41 PM

Today when I decided to try and trouble shoot I decided to cut the blue metra wire (power antenna) and the blue / white (remote amp) wire. This killed the radio reception as I expected and the HUM disappeared! So that was my problem.

Now the question is, how can I hook up the power antenna with another wire from the car to get it to work?

Let me know if you have any solutions / ideas!

Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 PM

any 12 volt constant should do the trick. I wonder what could've made it do that... so if your amp remote is separate from the antenna wire, you could try that. Mine are one and the same. Maybe, maybe if we knew what wire it was going into the radio, we could splice it before the head unit gets it, to test and see if it is a head unit issue. I wonder if it would wear down the battery? I wish people that had more experience with the xB would chime in. *glances around an empty forum.