Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Air compressor & tank underneath the xB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Air compressor & tank underneath the xB?

I have searched through over 10 different lengthy threads talking about air ride setups and I've seen where a few people have talked about having both their compressor and tank mounted under their xB, but I can't find any pics (I did find one pic of the compressor only underneath, but the tank was in the back). Does anyone have any and along with that, can anyone tell me what the best brand/model is to have it all fit nicely?
I need everything underneath as I need the cargo area for my subs & box.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a good question, I want to know the same thing!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are pics, you just have to keep working. I know there are some pics of a cool set up in the Air Runner Maxed Out thread. And I know there are others elsewhere. Just keep searching and browsing.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

RT...thanks for suggesting that air runner maxed out thread - I had not found that one yet. It helps some to see the pics. Now.....where to find that bracket setup that holds the compressor and tank?
Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think pretty much everyone that has mounted their tank under the car has either mounted directly to the trunk floor, or built their own mounting brackets. I doubt there is anything commercially available.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Storm13
RT...thanks for suggesting that air runner maxed out thread - I had not found that one yet. It helps some to see the pics. Now.....where to find that bracket setup that holds the compressor and tank?
Seems like you would have to fabricate them yourself. It would be nice if they made a setup for mounting it underneath.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by jethro_b
Originally Posted by Storm13
Seems like you would have to fabricate them yourself. It would be nice if they made a setup for mounting it underneath.
That is exactly what I'm looking for. After reading through a couple of threads of air runner setups, it appears they come with some sort of frame or something to mount both the compressor and tank to and then in turn mount it to wherever you want. Does anybody know where you can pick something like this up?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any metal shop or machine shop could build it for you. After you get all of your parts make the thing out of poster board. If you can make it with poster board, they can make it with sheet metal. I would have them use at least 12 gauge, but you may want something even sturdier. You can have them use standard sheet steel and paint it, or stainless steel and leave it bare or polish it.

If you want to go this route, set the poster board up to mount on the car first, and then lay our the air management parts you want to use. And when you lay out the air management parts, make sure you can still access the mounting points for the base after the parts have been attached. That way you can pull the whole configuration off.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way. The "finishing plate" that air runner uses is universal. It is just designed to mount the air management to. They do not have them in different configurations to mount to specific vehicles.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Ahhh okay...now it's making sense. I really think I'm going to pursue having some sort of custom mount made...once I order all my pieces for this. Still reading and making sure I get what I want and need.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I would think if looks aren't important. They could make a frame out of angle iron and hang it from the open area behind the axle.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lost maybe 2 1/2-3 inches
still kept everything inside (less wear on equipment)
and the compressor only runs for 2 min 3 tops
Old 05-12-2006, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Now would you look at that! It's funny you should post that, my wife came up with a very similar idea to that. Now if I can just fit my sub box in there without it being too high. Maybe it's time to go a little smaller than 2 12" subs so I can fit it all.
TRD: thanks VERY much for those pics....I like that install!

Edited to add: did you remove your spare and all the storage in the cargo area?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah but im working on a way to mount the spare under the car
id rather have that get all nasty than to see my gear go to waste
dont get me wrong the guys who have mounted there stuff under did really good but its just my opinion that if you spend all that money on gear then let it be shown

thanx for the comments and hope it helps
Old 05-13-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well not to sure about a xB but on the xA I took out the spare and cut the floor pan out so that a 5 Gallon tank would fit. Half on the inside of the car and the bottom half hanging out from under. I know most people do not want to go crazy with a saw like I did but just a idea you could think about. When I did my setup I did not want to be like the most people and have everything out in the open for all to see so I put everything when the spare was so you can't see anything to do with the air ride. The only time you can see anything to do with the air ride is when the car is lifted and you go to loook under the car. Then you will see maybe a air line a bag or the bottom of the air tank, but on the inside you can't see anything to do with it even the switches. Thats just me and the look I wanted for the car to each his own!