Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

day 1 airride install

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default day 1 airride install

alright i finaly went ahead and got the airride!!
And sence none of my friends are very supportive of me. they say things like "you spent how much on that!?!?" and "you know in this economy you really shouldn't be spending you money like this" and "i thought you were trying to buy a place?"...
well i thought id post it here and see if i could get some criticism ( good or helpful criticism) on my set up
so this is day one of airride system install.. just maching things up mostly...

so first up cut out the foam where the spare was...don't need that anymore... to put the tank in. also cut out Styrofoam where i wanted the 2nd battery and the compressor...

so second... its kinda hard to see.. but i cut out the top of the cover for the back. because i did not have enough clearance for the battery terminals the tanks and the solenoids... then i built a wooden rack to hold up the new floor i will make later

this is the rack for the solenoids...

this is everything in but not hooked up yet...

test fit my temporary subs... made sure that they would at least hold up these... the new sub box is like 3 times bigger and heaver. it was half the reason for buying the air ride

and last but not least the new floor. tomorrow ill go get some fabric to cover that with.

well that is part 1 of the air ride set up. now i just got to wait to get my front struts in then i hook everything up for real and go crusin. i cant wait
Old 03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome and great start!!! Who needs a house when you can pancake.....
Good luck on the rest of the install, we want pics!!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Good luck wit the install, i mounted my tank and compressor inside aswell. just be sure to cut a hole for the drain plug, i extended mine so it sits outside the car so when i drain it i leaks outside the car.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Keep up the good work and keep posting pics of your progress!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I like the last pic with the false floor. That looks clean. I'm in the process of re-doing my air suspension system and I'm doing the same kind of thing except I removed the spare tire. I'll have to post pics when my project is done. I hate dragging people along throughout all my procrastination etc. for the whole build haha
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Oh, another thing, Did you cut out a vent or something for your compressor to breathe and cool off?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like it is gonna turn out clean! good luck with the install
Old 04-01-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now i am starting to get a little ticked off. i ordered this kit almost a month ago and for the last 3 days i have been emailing and calling this company and they have either been not at the phone or they tell me someone will give me a call back. i finally got to some one today and they say its gonna be another 2 weeks be for they think they are going to ship my front bags to me. why couldn't they tell me this to begin with? i would have waited to buy the kit... agh.... or not taken apart my car...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What front struts did you buy and from where?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scionpro. but its not their fault at all. im pretty sure they don't really have anything to do with the fact about the parts not being in. i have been dealing with airlift company, they are the ones not returning my calls and ignoring my email...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can save you the hassle, then. There are no struts available at this moment. Just email Steve, he will be the first to know about them. Steve and I have been working on getting these redesigned and as a result of out work they are making them in MI again rather than China. So that took time and now they have to test every strut for 72 hours before they can ship them out and they can only test so many struts at once so it will take time to get through the back logged orders. When you placed the order they told us we had struts to sell off the shelf, but it turned out they were not right so they yanked manufacturing back to MI.

By the time you get them it should be like putting drop springs on since you will have it all hooked up.

I was mainly concerned you ordered them through a company that I know can not get you the product.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm kind of worried at the moment then about the new struts. I was able to send in my old easy street air struts and was told I would be given the new upgraded struts.. (directly from easy street air) Well, this is directly from easy street air. I'm sitting without a car now because I was told it would only take a couple of days to get the new struts once they got my old ones.. now I was told after sending the old struts in " I am back ordered right now on the strut bag upper bushings, so I will not be able to ship out the new struts until the end of March or the beginning of April. If parts come in sooner I will definitely get them shipped to as quickly as possible. Let me know if you need anything else. "

So I best get some new struts here very soon!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea that's exactly what they told me about the bushings. i wish this info was there before people ordered them. i mean there arnt very many manufactures of air ride for the xb out there, i think 3? so its a good chance they are still going to buy from easy street. especially at the price it is. but i just hate waiting on something i paid so much for. i would have just rather waited to pay until they got them in stock...
Old 04-05-2009, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I'd rather be you tho. LoL I don't even have my front stock struts. So my car is a brick until I get some struts back LoL. I don't mind waiting any longer, just as long as it's not a month. I will be in trouble then. I can't complain a whole lot, considering I was able to trade in my older struts for the newer re-designed. But then again, they are using pictures of my car on their website ;)

I also want to say that your work looks very good and clean. Take your time and do it right and patiently the first time. You learn as you go. But it looks really good and clean..
You should check about ordering the front drop plates from EZ Baked Customs for the front struts, to drop them like 2 more inches.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I redesigned the front easystreet struts top mount and you no longer need the drop plates it is built into the new strut!!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it drop it as low as the drop plate would? Because I figured ES wouldn't want it to go as low as it possibly could due to problems of things hitting, PS belt and all that

thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

crap... i did buy the ez baked drop plates...
oh well...
Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have been posting up for 2 months that the drop plate is no longer needed and yes the strut is as low. You only hit the PS belt if you drive with the car dumped. Only drop the car when the engine is off and you are fine or convert to electric power steering.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ogerdgonz
Have been posting up for 2 months that the drop plate is no longer needed and yes the strut is as low. You only hit the PS belt if you drive with the car dumped. Only drop the car when the engine is off and you are fine or convert to electric power steering.
How does it just hit the PS belt when dumped if the new struts are "lower without the drop plate" Because with the very first set of ES struts, I was rubbing the PS belt when it was almost layed out. Not all the way but almost, and then once layed out it was really rubbing.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI beginning of March they thought they had struts and then something came up and rather than their old way of ship it to the customer and have it fail they held releasing them. They are working on them as fast as they can but they do not want to ship inferior products to the customer.
Layedoutxa your struts had a similar top hat to the ones you are getting so they will be about the same. The drop plate was only needed on the redesign that came out a year ago and I had changed in February.

Quick Reply: day 1 airride install