Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Echo or xB shocks/struts.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Echo or xB shocks/struts.....

Time to change them, going with Monroe, and know that the Echo ones fit. Which will be a better ride? Stay with the xB ones or Echo? Or maybe Echo front, xB rear or vice versa? Not looking to spend a lot of money but still want a decent ride. Not interested in any other brands or coil overs. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't think I would get an answer. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most of the xB folk have moved on, seems theres few of us remaining. I'm riding on stock shocks and struts, so I'm not sure I'd be of any help. I do have helper bags in the rear to compensate for the weight of my sounds...

I like KYB for OEM replacement shocks/struts. I know the xB's suspension came geared a little more sporty than the Japanese market's bB, for what thats worth. Based on that, I'd take a REALLY wild guess that the Echo's suspension parts would give a slightly more plush ride. See if the part numbers differ though, it might be so similar that Monroe just used the same part for both applications. You do get what you pay for though, if you're going with bottom of the barrel Monroes, you probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway. But let us know what you decide!
-Trevor
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I understand, the added weight of the xB put on Echo suspension tends to be a common drop. Maybe that's just with Echo springs and not shocks, but be aware there's a possible difference.

I give a +1 to the KYB's. Have GR2's on the Echo now, and they've held up alright aside from my rear-right boot braking off the top. Now it jumps up and down the shaft on bumpy roads. After 60k (not all easy), can't really blame it.