Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Replacing Trailing Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 03:29 PM
SL Member

Default Replacing Trailing Arm Bushings

My trailing arm bushings are in desperate need of replacement. I believe this is the original part number: 48725-52040

Anyone have any DIY tips for this procedure? Looks like it's gonna be a pain in the ___ without the right tools.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not too bad but you will have to get the right tools. Also Energy Suspension makes a heavy duty insert that won't require you to press it back in. You'll need a jack, 2 jack stands, a socket set, a chisel/punch/pry bar set, a hammer, bushing/bearing removal kit and a bearing puller. You can do it with less but it'll take longer and increase the difficulty.

You can check for some videos online for similar Toyota compact/sub compact cars for reference. Let us know how it goes or how it went if you did it already. Good luck!

Lulu
Old 04-11-2022, 03:52 AM
SL Member

Following because I have to do this soon as well. I already have a complete energy suspension bushing kit.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:32 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by LULU
It's not too bad but you will have to get the right tools. Also Energy Suspension makes a heavy duty insert that won't require you to press it back in. You'll need a jack, 2 jack stands, a socket set, a chisel/punch/pry bar set, a hammer, bushing/bearing removal kit and a bearing puller. You can do it with less but it'll take longer and increase the difficulty.

You can check for some videos online for similar Toyota compact/sub compact cars for reference. Let us know how it goes or how it went if you did it already. Good luck!

Lulu
I picked up two original bushings on sale, but I think I'm going to bring this to my local shop to do this job. I don't have the last two set of tools you listed. I took a look at the condition of the factory ones this weekend and they are completely shot.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the actual tool set you'll need to press out and in the trail arm bushing. Really EZ to use.
Official Press Kit Official Press Kit
But in case you can't justify the cost use these 2 tools to push and press the tool out for about 1/3 of the price.
Bearing Puller Bearing Puller
Bushing/Bearing Drivers Bushing/Bearing Drivers

Having the right tools will make it go a lot smoother. Also use a hydraulic jack to keep the rear axle up while you pull the arms out. Remember to take off any hoses that might snag. Brake lines and such.

The Energy bushing you'll need to get the original bushing out, then lube the new bushings and using a C clamp to press it together. Instructions are on the Energy site if you have not already seen them. Slip the metal rod in before you press it. You might even be able to do it by hand. I'd use the C clamp though.

Hope this helps out.

Last edited by LULU; 04-13-2022 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Adding more information.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:53 AM
SL Member

That specialty tool is really cool. I've seen a few videos using something similar and always thought these weren't readily available or more expensive than that. I wonder if anyone rents these out.

Here's a video (in Russian) that shows all the steps for the xB, but they remove the entire axle assembly and hack then press it out.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:49 PM
SL Member

I had these replaced by a shop - it wasn't cheap!

Car feels more planted in the back, less jittery on imperfect roads. I didn't think I would notice much of a difference in ride quality, but I do. Was not happy with the cost, but after getting the car back and being that I'm the original owner of this vehicle, I'm glad I replaced these bushings. Hopefully the car survives another 19 years
Old 09-08-2022, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome man! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it? Book time about 2 hours so my guess would be around $250 for the labor? I'll probably put the Energy poly ones in myself one of these days. Need to replace my idle air controller first. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2022, 09:06 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by LULU
Awesome man! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it? Book time about 2 hours so my guess would be around $250 for the labor? I'll probably put the Energy poly ones in myself one of these days. Need to replace my idle air controller first. Thanks!
I paid ~4 hours and in an area with high hourly rates, so not cheap at all (total ~6 hours with my rear engine mount). The bushings were clapped out, rust welded in, so I really had no choice but to get it done by a shop. They said it was a two man job with one person on the torch and the other man on the air hammer. I'm just glad I won't have to pay for this again and I probably wouldn't have done it if the car wasn't in overall great shape. Car feels much better planted in the rear on uneven pavement.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's severe on cost! Sorry to hear it was so expensive, but glad you got the benefits of a better ride. I may go the same way as you as I have a full time job so it's weekend warrior for me, and only when I can finagle some time from home duties. Luckily I buy all the tools I can to make it an easy job. Just got to escape the home duties lol. I'm prepping for when I decide to ____ on my bosses table and walk out of work to start my next career ;-)

Glad there are still people here that work on and love thier Scions. I love mine and I'll keep working on it until I can't move anymore. Keep up the wrenching and thanks for the information!
Old 09-09-2022, 01:27 PM
SL Member

Good luck if you decide to tackle this job. Remember to post here if you do.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those who are thinking about this. I tried this out last weekend on the original trail arm bushings and after 17 years and a ton of salt, it was impossible to get out. I even put the monster Milwaukee impact on it and managed to lose a piece of the rear axle. Before dying of heat/sun stroke, I wisely decided to put it back together and take it to the shop to have them punch it out. They had better success as I probably could have used that specialty tool. They quoted me $300 and this was in the NYC area. I lost a lot of skin, water and basically life spending about 10 or so hours on it. Save yourself the stress and take this one to the shop. I now have poly's in the back and although it didn't completely solve my rear steer issue, it made it a bit better. I did get a chance to rotate my tires though, so some success. Good luck all and hope this helps out!
Old 08-13-2023, 11:37 AM
SL Member

$300 was a good deal...I paid much more than that. I knew I had no chance in taking these out myself. Hope they last forever!

What's wrong with the back end? Have you ever taken off your interior plastic panels and checked the wheel wells (around the shock mounts)? If not, take a look one day.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That was cheap for NYC, thanks! I bring these guys business a lot having 2 old cars (Scion, Abarth) so they cut me a deal. I've never been in an accident or a collision, nor have I banged my wheels hard before, but my car has had the dog tracking or crab walking for several years. I've read that it's because of a positive thrust angle but all the things that is said to cause it have been looked at and replaced. This happened right after a ConEd truck backed into my parked car when I wasn't around, drove away and I took it in for insurance paid repairs. The ding wasn't severe at all, only a little dent on my driver fender. The repair shop (a terrible one I will never go to) said they replaced the struts and I made them do an alignment. After that I had a noticeable dog tracking where my steering wheel needed to be turned slightly to the right to go straight. I thought it was the worn trail arm bushings but that didn't fix it so I am not sure what it is. Anyone have experience with this? I've done about 5 alignments on the car in the last 6 months and it comes back the same every time "crab walking". I bought shims a while ago to see if these would help but I've never put them in. I was going to change the rear bearings but they're not broke or worn yet. Front end suspension and now rear are all new within the last 2 years. Thanks all!