Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Stupid noise when I hit a bump in the road????????????/

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Stupid noise when I hit a bump in the road????????????/

Every time i hit a bump or a dip anything I hear a ticking noise up front like the spring is loose or something!! Does any one else experince this? I have TRD struts and Hotchkis springs! It is making me mad!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Most likely your upper strut cap is not properly aligned on the shaft of the strut. This is a common mistake when installing springs in a newer Toyota.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member

It's the peanut bushing for the stock sway-bar and control arm connection.

They look like two skateboard truck bushings with a 1/4" bolt through them. (you could replace them with skateboard parts they are so simmilar, but don't)

Take off your wheel and check where the bushings are connected to the control arm. If there is a lot of rust around them or if you can see where they are rubbing the paint, they need to be replaced. You'll also notice that they are pretty flat.

This is usually caused by a lot of hard cornering or if they were overtight from the factory. In either case they should be covered by warranty.

Brian has the right idea though. Always double check any bolts that were taken on/off during any repair or install. Especially if you didn't use a threadlock.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member

i was having the same problem and was about to ask...thanks guys
Old 05-09-2006, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bushings going bad on a car thats less than 2 years old is highly unlikely. Feel free to check them but Ive got my money on the upper strut cap.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member

Without looking at them I'd say the same thing Brian, and you may still be right.
I was actually in the process of re-tightening my strut cap when my friend pointed out the bushings. They were flat as pancakes and there were wear marks where they were sliding back and forth.
So, insideout and nori, definitely check your caps, the tower bolts and the two big guys on the bottom end. but if that doesn't fix it, then it's the bushings.

My only question is that when I go in on Sat for warranty work, are they going to bust my ***** about the springs possibly causing the problem. I worry because the ***** at IRA Toyota in Danvers MA are a bunch of lazy lying nuckleheads. I'm only letting them touch my car again because I have one free oil change left that I've been saving.