Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Tight/Sloppy Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tight/Sloppy Steering

I couldn't really find any topic on this but how tight is the steering supposed to be in a new Gen 1 xB? I own a used one and it just seems the steering isn't tight at all. Tons of slop when steering. To the point to where I can jerk it back and forth drastically and there not be much car movement. Maybe drastically to me isn't much to the next guy. Which is why I ask. Then if it is sloppy what should I change out?
Old 02-09-2019, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bossinitup
I couldn't really find any topic on this but how tight is the steering supposed to be in a new Gen 1 xB? I own a used one and it just seems the steering isn't tight at all. Tons of slop when steering. To the point to where I can jerk it back and forth drastically and there not be much car movement. Maybe drastically to me isn't much to the next guy. Which is why I ask. Then if it is sloppy what should I change out?
My son and I both have 1st gen xB's. His has 198,000 on it and mine has 110,000 on the clock. Neither one has had any steering components replaced. Both have nice, tight steering with zero play or slop. Based on that, I'd say yours has a problem.

To track down what's causing your slop, I'd start by having somebody turn the wheel back and forth while another person follows the movement down the steering shaft. If you have as much play as you say, the culprit will be very obvious.