Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Weird noise coming from front driver's side?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:53 PM
SL Member

Question Weird noise coming from front driver's side?

So I've got this weird sound coming from my front driver's side wheel. It sounds.... kind of like a rubbing sound at road speeds (45 - 65 mph), and it only happens when I turn to the right (putting that wheel under a heavier load). The harder the car leans, the louder it gets. At low speeds like in a parking lot (less than 15 mph) it sounds kind of like a *clink* *clink* *clink* sound. Tread wear appears to be normal. I checked the axle for any play, thinking it might be a bad CV joint, but there is none.

I'm stumped. I have no idea what it could be. I keep thinking that it might be a bad CV joint, but I don't know enough of these things to be sure. Does anyone have a clue as to what it might be? I'm going to take it to the dealer as soon as I get a chance.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just as stumped as you are...except my noise comes from the passenger side. Same thing, when making a left turn and putting more load on the right front tire, sounds like the thing is gonna pop off! I've been asked to check my brakes/calipers and dust shield (checked), wheel bearing (checked), drive shaft/axle (checked), and I tried the CV boot, but it's not worn down...getting irritated already ...
Old 11-24-2009, 03:15 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by island_box59
...getting irritated already ...
I hear you, man. I've checked all of the same things as well. There's another thread here with a video. It sounds exactly like what I'm hearing. I've also been reading other threads talking about the wheel bearings crapping out.... but I don't imagine it would sound like that.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A bad outer CV joint will give you a clicking sound at low speeds. It needs to be fairly worn before you can feel the play without removing it.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will rub my front tires on the inner fender liner at slow-speed/extreme turning angles
Old 11-27-2009, 01:05 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrexotica
I will rub my front tires on the inner fender liner at slow-speed/extreme turning angles
I don't think that's the issue with my car. I'm still running stock wheels/tires and I'm not lowered or anything....

Originally Posted by Improbcat
A bad outer CV joint will give you a clicking sound at low speeds. It needs to be fairly worn before you can feel the play without removing it.
That's definitely good info, I'll have to keep that in mind.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i def agree with the CV joint being bad. alot of times the boot doesnt get torn or but things do prematurely ware sometimes. its inevitable when you own a car and drive it as a DD or just put mileage on it.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member

I'm having the same problem on my 04. I jacked up checked all componets nothing obstructing dust shield rotor caliper tight. at first i thought a bearing wearing out but then on previous vehicles it would constantly make a humming sound even when driving straight, not just with cornering. i did notice how ever when lifted my ride and car was on drive CV joint was making an audible clickin sound and looked as if had play. i'm assuming i need to change the rack pinion on the old girl. Now i've been hearing a sound from my rear drums; i'm hoping it is just brake pads warning me they need to be changed. It is definatly a constant humming sound so i hope it not a bearing.