Notices

I want wheels that look like this(Cadillac sixteen)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I want wheels that look like this(Cadillac sixteen)

Does anyone know of wheels that look similar in a 17 or 18 inch size?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your best bet is to get in contact with your friendly neighborhood billet wheel manufacturer. Send them a pic and get a quote. Unless you spend an absolutely ludicrous amount of money (about the same as the cost of your Scion), they will not look identical. They should be able to build you a set of "one-offs" that look very similar, but with a slight lip. Depending on the size though, you are still looking at several thousand dollars.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well of course that is always an option. Boyd Coddington is only a few miles away from me.I like the one he did for the concept xa, the atom I believe it was called, it was at the LA auto show. But I was hoping there was a similar wheel out there already. To avoid the custom path
Old 02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are as close as I've seen: Garson DAD Zuenglein Z10 in 18s. I don't know what one-off billet wheels go for, but these can be had for around $500/wheel.
http://www.garson.co.jp/catalog/dad/...d=wheel&page=1

pic on a car:
Old 02-22-2006, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are as close as I've seen: Garson DAD Zuenglein Z10 in 18s. I don't know what one-off billet wheels go for, but these can be had for around $500/wheel.

Thank you this are sick, love em, they are pricey but , man they are perfect!, thanks, I knew someone would have seen something similar.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default garson

I was just looking at there site, I don't think those would come in a four lug , just from looking at the design, but I can't find an email address anywhere . I am using google translater, and I can read around but no email contact. Any ideas?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that..lol. If you're serious, you could do a 5-lug conversion or run 5-lug spacer adapters.

I know there's another similar wheel I've seen on some Kei cars which were definitely 4-lug....I'll post up if I can remember em.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen some audi monoblock wheels that are sort of similar, always thought it would look crazy to run a set of those w/adapters.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, those are Audi A8L 19" forged rims, they are so cool but so hard to find. http://www.grafickytuning.cz/img/souteze/audi_orig.jpg Ebay has a bunch of cheap replicas. I know even Fabulous makes a wheel smilar to the Audi wheels.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I swear Rico you and I have the exact same taste in wheels
Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Audi even makes 16" shoes for the A8 that are killer-

Old 02-22-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have read where putting on adapters screws up your camber and stresses out your suspension, I would rather just stic to a four lug
Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been out for a few days, but just wanted to give you one piece of advice.

If you do go down the custom road, stay away from Boyd Coddington wheels. Take it from someone who knows. I've owned their wheels in the past, and I will never own another set as long as I live. If you want quality and you happen to be in Southern California, go talk to Intro.

Again, if you are serious about a custom built wheel, let me know and I'll give you a name at Intro to contact. Otherwise, good luck in your search. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
I have been out for a few days, but just wanted to give you one piece of advice.

If you do go down the custom road, stay away from Boyd Coddington wheels. Take it from someone who knows. I've owned their wheels in the past, and I will never own another set as long as I live. If you want quality and you happen to be in Southern California, go talk to Intro.

Again, if you are serious about a custom built wheel, let me know and I'll give you a name at Intro to contact. Otherwise, good luck in your search. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Thanks for the advice, but what was so negative about your experience with boyd coddington wheels?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

^^ x2? I have heard nothing but good about Boyd's wheels. If he has his own TV show, he must know how to do something right. It must have been a bad set of rims or something. What happened RTon20s?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK... here's the deal. TV show or not, that doesn't make his wheels any better. And what you have to understand is that the only involvement that Boyd Coddington Sr. has with the wheel line is his name. His son Boyd Coddington Jr. is the one that runs the wheel line.

Now, you want my reasoning for not running their wheels? Here it is...

I owned a set of 18x8 Timeless 6 wheels that were installed on my '99 Dakota R/T. They were brand new and purchased directly from (then) B. Coddington Wheels and custom fit to my truck. I dealt with "Bob."

I ran the wheels for almost two years, and I loved them. That was until I took a trip from central California down to L.A. I left early on a Saturday afternoon, and arrived in Southern California just before the evening. Well when I get off the freeway I could feel my car "limping" on the front right corner. My initial thought was "broken balljoint, or blown bushing." My truck was slammed, and suspension wear was nothing new to me.

So I got my truck to an auto parts store and used the factory jack to lift it up. All of the suspension components looked great. I then moved to the wheels. Everything looked round, no bends, inside or out. Then my cousin pointed it out to me. My jaw dropped, and I instantly turned red with anger. The weld between the center and the hoop was separating. It looked like a crack, but the center was actually pulling away from the hoop!

Being away from home, I had no idea where to go. I decided to proceed on to the place we were staying that night and tackle the problem in the morning. Well Sunday morning came and I couldn't find a single shop to help me. Everything was closed. I finally came across a roadside shop where the owner only knew a couple of words of English. But I lucked out. He had to Dakota steelie stocks and some tires he would sell me. It was my only option at this point, so I took it. I think it cost me $150.

By now, since I had no choice but to drive (about 5-10 mph) on the wheel, the separation had gotten worse. The center had separated more than 3/4 of the way around the wheel. Now that my entire trip was wasted, I decided to just head home. I made it as far as Bakersfield.

Blowout. One of those brand new tires from the little shop in L.A. exploded and left me on the side of the 99. I swapped out the blown tire and stock steelie wheel for my other "good" 18" Coddington and tire. I then limped the car up the off ramp and into the near by Sears. Two hours later I was on the road again with a new 15" tire for the steelie. I think that cost me about another $80. I finally made it home sometime late that evening.

Of course I contacted my buddy "Bob" at Coddington the next day. (They weren't open over the weekend.) After much debate, this is what they finally agreed to do. I would pay to have the tire dismounted and the wheel shipped to Coddington's down in L.A. Coddington would rehoop the wheel and ship it back to me. I would then pay to have the tire remounted on the wheel. And they wouldn't even consider reimbursing me for the other wheels and tires I had to purchase to get home.

So that is my story, and my reasoning for never owning another Coddington product for as long as I live. It isn't even really about what it cost me, or that they weren't willing to go the extra mile to service me as their customer. It is about the fact that I can never trust another set of their custom built wheels.

And in case any of you are wondering, the wheels never went back on my truck. I switched back out to my stocks right away. And the wheels were sold within a couple of weeks. And when I sold them I disclosed fully what had happened. The replacement wheels I bought were 20" Intros. And I have never been happier with a set of wheels than I am with my Intros.

If you really want to know more about Coddington quality, just do some google searches. There are plenty of people out there complaining. Including folks who can't get a brand new set of wheels to balance because the "out of round" tolerance at Coddington is so bad.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow I think I have just witnessed the longest post of all time.....ever. But the story was informative and I appreciate the time taken to type it up. Thats scary to think of your wheel coming apart like that. I think I would have been livid though if they did not pay for the wheel getting to them and back to me.