Need help in repairing a rim...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Need help in repairing a rim...

A car backed up into my passenger side wheel and rear bumper on Sunday. Long story short...she managed to leave a scuff mark along the lip of the rim. The scuff is about 6-12" in length.

After trying swear'in like a sailor for about 15-20 minutes...I went to check out the damaged along the wheel. The damage looks easily repairable, but I want to get some professional suggestion befor attempting this. I was think'in about polishing it out with a Buffer or dremel...or even sanded it down with fine grit paper, but I'm unsure if the polished lip is clear coated???

Its either this, or get the witch's insurance to coff up $400+ to get me another rim.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:44 AM

If it's just the lip, you can bring it into a rim repair shop and get it sanded down and polished for less than 100.

A DIY job might be more difficult since most wheels are made of aluminum which is a _____ to work with without the right tools. You'll need a bit of experience under your belt of you want to make it look good.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by cloudnine
If it's just the lip, you can bring it into a rim repair shop and get it sanded down and polished for less than 100.

A DIY job might be more difficult since most wheels are made of aluminum which is a _____ to work with without the right tools. You'll need a bit of experience under your belt of you want to make it look good.
Thanks I'll go and have it check out...I know of a place we use to do wheel repair.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Repair Places in NJ?

Does anyone know any wheel rim repair places in NY/NJ/PA area? I need to get some minor scuffs fixed on my rim. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thx
Old 12-30-2004, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Need help in repairing a rim...

Originally Posted by BigKid
A car backed up into my passenger side wheel and rear bumper on Sunday. Long story short...she managed to leave a scuff mark along the lip of the rim. The scuff is about 6-12" in length.

After trying swear'in like a sailor for about 15-20 minutes...I went to check out the damaged along the wheel. The damage looks easily repairable, but I want to get some professional suggestion befor attempting this. I was think'in about polishing it out with a Buffer or dremel...or even sanded it down with fine grit paper, but I'm unsure if the polished lip is clear coated???

Its either this, or get the witch's insurance to coff up $400+ to get me another rim.
NEW RIM!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

New rim and keep the old one for a spare!
Old 12-30-2004, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^^^^^^^I was waiting for someone to say that?! LOL

I just didn't wanna think I was asking for to much trouble. She "WAS" the one at fault... :?

I'll be calling her insurance co. in the morning. Sux to be her insurance co. , hell I might just ask for a new tire while I'm at! LOL