Notices

Powder Coat vs. Spray Paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Powder Coat vs. Spray Paint

YO! Well I have the OEM 6 SPOKE ALLOYS and i wanted to paint them gold/bronze just cause, but I don't think it'll be worth it for me to pay to get them done, can I just spray paint them?? LoL. I know it sounds ghetto, and I don't have experience doing it, but any input?? I'm planning on getting rims this summer, so I wasn't planning on riding on these for too long.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
- jT
Old 12-05-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think Duplicolor makes a wheel spray that you can use temporarily. I don't know how long it'll last per application, or how expensive it'll end up being during the time you wait for new rims.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome thanks!!! but... temporary? that reminds me of like that hair dye. well a friend of mine painted her rsx rims w/ some gunmetal spray her bro got @ pepboys, so i wanted to try and go that route.

pshh.. i was all planning on using KRYLON. =0) got just about any color you could need already.

THANKS & PEACE
-jT
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't think that Duplicolor paint is temp...i used it on my 626 rims and the only problem i had was when i used SuperClean for the tires and it ran down the rims and is discolored it a little... I think it is really good paint but i dicked it up pretty bad.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_Kokujin
I don't think that Duplicolor paint is temp...i used it on my 626 rims and the only problem i had was when i used SuperClean for the tires and it ran down the rims and is discolored it a little... I think it is really good paint but i dicked it up pretty bad.
YO! thanks bro. is the "SuperClean" is that like tire shine stuff? LoL. well what color did you go with? how much was it?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No not the shine, the cleaner if you get it on your hands they will dry up and start to crack and peel...I got the gunmetal, i don't remember how much it was.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AWESOME! thanks broseff.

looks like i got my answer, i'm getting this spray and half-arsin the paint job.

see me on the streets w/ my ghetto-**** paint job =0)
Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Duplicolor paints for wheels would be a good choice. Plasticoat also has a very good wheel paint in a few colors...I have used both and both hold up pretty well. You MUST throughly clean (wash soap and hot water, and solvent wipe (grease and wax solvent from the auto body paint store), and then THOUROUGHLY SAND all surfaces to be painted. I would recommend sanding the wheel with 400 grit wet sand paper prior to spraying them. Be sure that the temperature of the wheels is at least 70 degrees before painting and stays that way until the complete dry time (read the can)has passed for best results. I really like plasticoats "Steel Wheels" charcoal grey...I have used it in on wheels as well as engine parts (nice for brackets etc) It holds up well in both environments.

OH and BTW powder coating rules over paint...if you can afford that it is way better.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
Duplicolor paints for wheels would be a good choice. Plasticoat also has a very good wheel paint in a few colors...I have used both and both hold up pretty well. You MUST throughly clean (wash soap and hot water, and solvent wipe (grease and wax solvent from the auto body paint store), and then THOUROUGHLY SAND all surfaces to be painted. I would recommend sanding the wheel with 400 grit wet sand paper prior to spraying them. Be sure that the temperature of the wheels is at least 70 degrees before painting and stays that way until the complete dry time (read the can)has passed for best results. I really like plasticoats "Steel Wheels" charcoal grey...I have used it in on wheels as well as engine parts (nice for brackets etc) It holds up well in both environments.

OH and BTW powder coating rules over paint...if you can afford that it is way better.
YO! OMG! i have completely changed my mind now. LoL.
powder coater here i come!!!

THANKS, GOOD INFO. AND I WAS PLANNING ON JUST PAINTING THE DARN THINGS, SOUNDS LIKE THERE'S WAY TOO MUCH WORK, AND I'M HELLA LAZY.

- jT
Old 12-06-2006, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you need a powder coater, i know of one in City of industry, sort near you.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MattyRattyPoo
If you need a powder coater, i know of one in City of industry, sort near you.
THANKS BRO. well i'm not planning on doing this until after after xmas. but i'll let you know. MUCH APPRECIATED.

- jT
Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Powdercoat is better BTW because it is harder and more chip resistant. It has a much higher durability than paint. This assumes of course that the surface is clean and properly prepared and that the powder is well applied.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LOCK THIS

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
Powdercoat is better BTW because it is harder and more chip resistant. It has a much higher durability than paint. This assumes of course that the surface is clean and properly prepared and that the powder is well applied.
YO! thanks mane. i've given up on the whole spray paint idea LoL. you've shown me the light. i'm gonna close this post. =0)

MUCH ABLIGED EVERYONE.