Notices

tire wear question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default tire wear question

My passenger side tires went flat while I was out today. Happened within a few miles of each other ... where do they put the spare spare tire in these cars? Thankfully it was uneventful, but it's got me perplexed. Anyone seen anything like this?

The 2nd & 3rd pics telll the story - 2/3 of the tire is fine, 1/3 is worn on the edge all the way through. Both front & rear passenger side tires are like that...

I hit a large rock that came off a landscaping truck 6 months ago & it bent my front rim (I had the rim fixed and had the tires balanced & rotated at that time)... I'd think if it were a suspension thing, it'd be all the way around the tire. If it were a balance issue, it'd be the whole cross section (not just the sidewall), right? Ever seen anything like that?

I checked the lot numbers - the driver & passenger side were from the same lot, so it it were a bad batch of tires, the drivers side would look the same (they're fine). I don't remember locking up the brakes anytime recently (ABS anyway).
Old 12-31-2007, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is a very weird wear pattern. At first glance it looks like wear from contacting the body, but the wear does not continue all the way around the tire. It looks like something has rubbed or ripped these sections out of the tires. Have you used a car wash that drags the car thru on a track? Grasping at straws here but this type of tire damage could only be caused by something dragging the tire along ripping the edge as it goes. Some very odd belt seperation in the tire at the edge might cause something like this tho I have been around cars for a long long time and can not say I have seen a pattern quite like that before.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm pretty **** about my car... nobody touches it but me (so no, no drag-through car washes)...

I got a few replies from other boards... the concensus is either out of round tire or belt seperation (bubbled there & when the bubble wore away I was left with that - makes the most sense since I had some vibration develop recently, but it's weird that it'd happen to two tires - on the same side of the car... both on the inside edge of the tire).

The concensus is also that Kumhos suck (who knew?)... somewhat of a common problem with them. I loved the grip (as compared to stock - the xb isn't exactly a speed demon), but they wore out VERY quickly for a 360 rated tire... 20k miles & they're very close to the wear bars all the way around.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I agree Kuhmos suck. If you hit that rock with both those tires it could have caused the belt seperation.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

#1 that tire is bald.
you have a very even wear on the tire so you must rotate them alot. you got your money out of them thats for sure.

but what you have here is the bigging of a tread seperation.
its nothing to worry about, its just time for some new tires.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by swartzautoman
#1 that tire is bald.
you have a very even wear on the tire so you must rotate them alot. you got your money out of them thats for sure.

but what you have here is the bigging of a tread seperation.
its nothing to worry about, its just time for some new tires.
yeah - definately time for new tires (only got 20k out of them, but the grip was GREAT)... I just wanted to be sure it wasn't a problem with the car causing the wear. New ones go on today at 4:00 and they're putting it on the rack to check alignment so I'll be sure everything is OK.
Thanks
Robert
Old 12-31-2007, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude 20k out of a tire that has a treadwear of the 320 is real good.