Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

06' xB engine not starting after changing tail lights....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Default 06' xB engine not starting after changing tail lights....

I changed the tail lights from factory to BBist's LED Tail Lights and now my car isn't working~ I can physically turn on the engine, but the needles do not move, and I cannot change the transmission. However, I can revv the engine while in park.

I tested each light and it worked, but afterwards when I was about to go out my car wouldn't work properly. The clock, tachometer and turn signals will not work. The signals turn on when I use the emergency button, but it wont work. What could be wrong?

This couldn't be anything serious right? I didn't touch anything in the engine, I would assume its probably a simple blown fuse or something... Any help? I need to use the car tommorow. T_T

EDIT: I just looked at the fuse that controls the clock, it is NOT blown... Posted in both Drivetrain & Power and Aero & Exterior.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This does sound odd. Plug in the original taillights and see if the problem goes away.

If the gauges don't work and you can't shift then it sounds like they blew a fuse. Not sure which one as I'm not near my car or the ownwer's manual or wiring diagram.
Maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Yeah, I just checked. One of my fuses near the glove box is blown. I replaced it with another 10amp and it worked fine. Then When I tried reverse, it blew again.

Anyone know whats wrong? Perhaps, something w/ the tail lights?

Btw, does autozone sell just 10amp fuses?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search the postings in this forum - I think that I've read something about those taillights not being compatible with 2006 xB.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it keeps on blowing the fuse dont stick the same fuse in their maybe those light need a stronger fuse to work. stick like a 20 amp in and see what happens. i have those lights, not the bbist one but the leds. and i didnt get that reaction but then again i have an 05.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Lets see... Thanks to BBist I was able to fix it. Apparently I took out my lights and the wire on the reverse bulb was cut, the wire was touching the body of the xB thus causing the fuse to blow.

I was able to patch it up with tape and redid it. Its working fine now, and the lights look great! Thanks BBist~ Awesome lights. Strange that one fuse would render the car useless...

Also, according to BBist using a higher fuse may cause a fire. But I was able to sustain using only 10amps without any problems.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics
Old 08-18-2006, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bb05
if it keeps on blowing the fuse dont stick the same fuse in their maybe those light need a stronger fuse to work. stick like a 20 amp in and see what happens.
never do that unless you want your car to catch on fire.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea ok.......
Old 08-19-2006, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bb05
yea ok.......
wow, great response
Old 08-20-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe he likes the idea of burning up parts of his electrical system.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think about it - fuse is there to protect the wiring. Engineers didn't just throw up bunch of various fuses in the air and randomly caught one and said: We'll use this handy-dandy 10A fuse in the backup light circuit. They actually came up with the value from the thickness of wire in the curcuit, total load, etc.

If you put a 20A fuse on a 10A circuit, in case of a short there is a good chance that this time the wiring will protect the fuse (if you catch my drift). It's "smoking time"! :D

I also suspect that the backup light circuit also provides power to other devices in the car (like dash gauges). So, if it blows, other things won't work also.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteski
Think about it - fuse is there to protect the wiring. Engineers didn't just throw up bunch of various fuses in the air and randomly caught one and said: We'll use this handy-dandy 10A fuse in the backup light circuit. They actually came up with the value from the thickness of wire in the curcuit, total load, etc.

If you put a 20A fuse on a 10A circuit, in case of a short there is a good chance that this time the wiring will protect the fuse (if you catch my drift). It's "smoking time"! :D

I also suspect that the backup light circuit also provides power to other devices in the car (like dash gauges). So, if it blows, other things won't work also.
intresting well i did say try it. not change all your fuses..i had to change my fuse when i got my hids so they would work. but i here what ya are sayin....sorry bout the yea ok... i wasnt really havin a good day..
Old 08-22-2006, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just checked - Backup lights are on a "GAUGES" fuse. So, that explains the gauges being dead when that fuse got blown.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteski
I just checked - Backup lights are on a "GAUGES" fuse. So, that explains the gauges being dead when that fuse got blown.
Yeah, that caught me by surprise a fuse would blow inside the box. But after panicing, I carefully went through the owner's manual and figured it out.