Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Hood Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hood Struts?

I remember about a month or two ago, someone posted pics of their DIY mod where they fabbed up their own mounts for gas struts on the hood of their xB...I tried a search for it but came up with nothing. Anyone know the link or the peep in question? I'm interested in whether I could purchase some from them Thanks!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toy xbox is your man

Old 09-24-2004, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I extend thanks to you sir :D
Old 09-26-2004, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this was the fist thing I did to my HL. Took longer to figure out what exact shocks to use.

shocks aren't cheap for most people - and once you mount them - they're yours. Not much room for trial and error. If you buy shocks that are too weak - well , then the hood will just drop shut on it's own - get shocks to long or to strong and you'll probably just bend the hood.

You can get the parts at PEP BOYS. Use SACHS brand, 'LIFT-O-MAT'. PART NUMBER SG326007 or an interchangable make/model. That part number is a shock that had the correct stroke length and correct PSI lifting strength. You'll need TWO - one for each side.

You'll need to use washers, drill some holes and etc - all stuff you can figure out if you're at all handy

PS. the shocks on the box in the photo look nice - but are mounted backwards. Those shocks are dead smack in the way anytime the hoods open and you're trying to work in the engine bay.

The shaft part of the shock should be mounted to the fender towards the back edge of hood and the resovior end of the shock is mounted to the hood towards the front edge of the hood - this keeps the shock completely out of the way, almost parallel to the hood when open.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by windowtint
this was the fist thing I did to my HL. Took longer to figure out what exact shocks to use.

shocks aren't cheap for most people - and once you mount them - they're yours. Not much room for trial and error. If you buy shocks that are too weak - well , then the hood will just drop shut on it's own - get shocks to long or to strong and you'll probably just bend the hood.

You can get the parts at PEP BOYS. Use SACHS brand, 'LIFT-O-MAT'. PART NUMBER SG326007 or an interchangable make/model. That part number is a shock that had the correct stroke length and correct PSI lifting strength. You'll need TWO - one for each side.

You'll need to use washers, drill some holes and etc - all stuff you can figure out if you're at all handy

PS. the shocks on the box in the photo look nice - but are mounted backwards. Those shocks are dead smack in the way anytime the hoods open and you're trying to work in the engine bay.

The shaft part of the shock should be mounted to the fender towards the back edge of hood and the resovior end of the shock is mounted to the hood towards the front edge of the hood - this keeps the shock completely out of the way, almost parallel to the hood when open.
Got any pictures. Sounds like it looks cool. I have a idea of what you are talking about. Also if you run a carbon fiber hood you might need weaker shocks. Also depending on how you mount them & where the psi limit may differ. Its about leverage so you could have a weak shock, lift & hold a heavy object, just might be hard under the hood :?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this is a project that has sat in the back on my mind for months, the only thing that I have not thought of is what kind on mount to use....if you look at other vehicle with strut lifts, the mount is like a little ball on a bolt...I have not searched for where or what to get to use...maybe I can be a little lazy and ask

where could you get the mounts?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the shocks (part #'s) I listed include the mounting *****.

as far as mounting it to carbon fiber - you would need to use a lighter PSI shock - the stock hood is very heavy for it's size.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sold thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

its good to have chucksu in this forum....i just hope he can find some posts for me when i need them.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fujiz_xb
its good to have chucksu in this forum....i just hope he can find some posts for me when i need them.
:oops: :oops: Why thank you . Im not going to be around much longer though , only 14 days left.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chucksu
Got any pictures. Sounds like it looks cool. I have a idea of what you are talking about. Also if you run a carbon fiber hood you might need weaker shocks. Also depending on how you mount them & where the psi limit may differ. Its about leverage so you could have a weak shock, lift & hold a heavy object, just might be hard under the hood :?
LavaScionSouthernAz. asked me to take a few photos - So I'll take them and show up "my" version.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there ya go --- actually remembered to take a picture out behind the shop today for a change...

*EDIT*

I removed the photo's becuase it was just red 'x''s - for some odd reason Photobucket deleted the photo's I'd placed there.. .no idea why.... I'll get more up maybe
Old 09-29-2004, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thanks a million for the pics
Old 09-29-2004, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did you figure out what shocks to use?

I have an xA and since they have much different hoods, I would assume that I would need a stronger/weaker shock to hold it up. How did you come to the conclusion that the ones you have are the right ones for your hood?[/quote]
Old 09-29-2004, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah thats about how I thought you did it. That way does seem nice.

Originally Posted by Blue_Estel
How did you figure out what shocks to use?

I have an xA and since they have much different hoods, I would assume that I would need a stronger/weaker shock to hold it up. How did you come to the conclusion that the ones you have are the right ones for your hood?
I think you would need to take off the hood first. Find out how much it weighs. So say just as a random number lets say its 30lbs. So then you take 30/2=15. So you would need to shocks with a 15lb limit. Now this is just basic guessing. There are so many other things that can change what psi the shocks need to be, like where you mount etc.. Also if you mount it right, you could do a set up that offers a lot of leverage, so the shocks would not need to be as strong.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

I think you would need to take off the hood first. Find out how much it weighs. So say just as a random number lets say its 30lbs. So then you take 30/2=15. So you would need to shocks with a 15lb limit. Now this is just basic guessing. There are so many other things that can change what psi the shocks need to be, like where you mount etc.. Also if you mount it right, you could do a set up that offers a lot of leverage, so the shocks would not need to be as strong.
makes sense. how about one that opens on the side..or backwards like some cargo trucks
Old 09-29-2004, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes sense. how about one that opens on the side..or backwards like some cargo trucks
Im not sure what you are talking about? You mean like a side ways opening hood & a reverse style hood? For this mod I would think the idea is the same no matter what. You just need 2 shocks that can hold the weight of the hood when open, but yet not put to much strees on the mounting point when the hood is closed.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really like the way it came out and have the shocks out of the way. this reminds me that i need to get stronger shocks for my hatch.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that would require a lot more work. you would need new hinges and a new latch mechanism.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that would require a lot more work. you would need new hinges and a new latch mechanism.

Quick Reply: Hood Struts?