Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

1st gear wheel spinning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member

Default 1st gear wheel spinning?

It seems whenever I start my car from a full stop the front wheel seems to spin when shifting into 1st. At least I think it is the wheel. It actually makes a "swishing" sound as I release the clutch. Sounds like a binder/book is sliding on the floor board underneath my feet almost.

If I slowly accellerate and quickly release the clutch it does not do it, however, I run the risk of stalling, but if I accellerate normally and release the clutch in my usual fashion it swishes but only going into the 1st gear.

Anyone else experience this situation or something similar in sound?

I drive an xA manual 5 speed.

TIA for the input
Old 04-28-2005, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

That doesn't sound right. . . what is your "usual" fashion? If you are accelerating slowly, you shouldn't be releasing your clutch quickly. . . are you releasing it very slow when you are accelerating quickly?

I don't understand your post, but something sounds wrong. Maybe your clutch is fried and is slipping, and the aggresive release is what keeps it from slipping.

Are you an experienced manual driver? Has someone been abusing it? How many miles on the car?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^^^

FYI, normal clutch engagement is around 1.5-2k RPM. If you have trouble clutching in that area, you definitely need to go see a dealership and have it inspected.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member

I only had about 55 miles on the car when I noticed the sound. I took posession of the car with 10 miles on it and it did not make the sound on the test drive. I have been playing with the stop and go and have discovered that if I ease up on the clutch and really slow it down on the acceleration it doesn't do it. I guess I will have to relearn to drive this transmission with a different technique. I am an experienced clutcher haven't driven an Automatic since 1985 after that it's been clutch all the way. My Toy Truck is a little more agressive on the clutch than this Scion so I will need to remember I am in a car and not in a beast.

If it gets worse in sound I will definitely drive it to the dealer. I just think maybe I need to learn the nack of this little engine in it's 1st gear. Any techniques suggestions would be appreciated. I really hope it's not a mechnical problem with the clutch.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Might be worth it to have the dealer take a look, just in case
Old 04-29-2005, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also keep in mind that if you are turning as you're starting out, there's much more of a chance for wheel spin. On a front wheel drive car, when you turn the steering wheel, you increase the chance of breaking traction with the road. If I come to a stopsign where I will be turning, and it's raining, I have to be careful not to spin the tires.