First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Air conditioning kind of weak 2006 xB Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wanachat15
since we're on a/c. mine isn't very cold either but what evers. what i want to know is does any of your boxes do this. my problem isn't because of the a/c being weak, but that the vents doesn't work properly. when i put it on all foot. it's still blows out of the the top vents. and when i put it on the defogger setting with foot. it still blows out of the top vents. is there something wrong with my vent controls? i know the controls are cra*py and works by gears and levers. or as you can say it, mannually.

------tom
I've noticed that if you have the temperature dial in the blue it keeps the vents on, if you turn it up to white, they'll shut off and all the directional functions will operate normally. I'm a troubleshooter by nature......
Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Japanse cars have the dash side vents hooked up to always blow air. That is why those vents allow to be shut off by flipping them up or down.

I've been in several Japanese made cars and that is how they all work. There are threads on this...

Nothign wrong here - working as designed.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

small engine, small compressor, large interior not to mention the great Du Pont R-12 to R-134 (ozone hole theory) conspiracy. all adds up to what you are talking about. i am satisfied with mine tho. only takes a few minutes to cool back down after i throw a butt out the window. and i'm in tucson. 100 degrees right now! related but not directly....you guys run that compressor twice a week, rain or shine, and you'll never have an AC problem! you heard it here! (shouldn't have problems anyway).
Old 05-18-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Copy of the TSB

Anyone have a copy of the TSB they can post or send? Not a dead link, but the actual TSB?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteski
Japanse cars have the dash side vents hooked up to always blow air. That is why those vents allow to be shut off by flipping them up or down.

I've been in several Japanese made cars and that is how they all work. There are threads on this...

Nothign wrong here - working as designed.
Correct! If you're speaking of the outter (window) vents. Think he may have been referring to the inner vents.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member

Default 2006 AC Weak

Thanks guys I think I am just going to let this go till it doesn't work then have it recharged.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah, sometimes my ac is really weak. Also sometimes after I turn it off and just use the fan it smells funny, but I think that's mildew on the filter.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Benjikun7
Yeah, sometimes my ac is really weak. Also sometimes after I turn it off and just use the fan it smells funny, but I think that's mildew on the filter.
Ding Ding ! mildew on the filter or in the filter box. my earlier 5 series had that same annoying problem, only happens after using the AC.
What year is your box? Anyone else having this mildew problem?
Just got my box in Nov 06 so I haven't had to use the AC yet. In any case to rid yourself of that odor, pull filter, spray it and box with Lysol (if filter is clean), other wise replace filter and spray box with Lysol.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know the side vents are designed to not closed cuz that's why they can be closed mannually. i'm talking about the center vents. they should close if you put it on all foot or foot and defogger. mine doesn't and i've notice that i my friend box one closes while my other friend doesn't. i shouldn't have a fit about it anyways. a/c is a/c don't want it pointing at you. just point it away. any how i always drive with the windows down.

--------tom
Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know the side vents are designed to not closed cuz that's why they can be closed mannually. i'm talking about the center vents. they should close if you put it on all foot or foot and defogger. mine doesn't and i've notice that i my friend box one closes while my other friend doesn't. i shouldn't have a fit about it anyways. a/c is a/c don't want it pointing at you. just point it away. any how i always drive with the windows down.

--------tom
As I mentioned earlier, turn your temp adj **** above the blue to white and the center vents will close when floor of defogger is selected. Go ahead, give it a try.
Now this works on my 06.5.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member

I read in the xB manual that some models have the a/c filter behind the glove compartment? And if for some reason that the a/c is getting weak you should try cleaning the filter. Did anybody verify that there is an a/c filter behind the glove compartment?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

--------tom
Check the owner's manual. It has the airflow diagramed for each setting. You'll see that the center vents never are shut off -at least on my '04 it's that way. They always are open.

Take a look. I'm pretty sure I'm right.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

04 Yeah, 06.5 works the way I explained....

By the way, luv dat avatar ! Al "Icky" Bundy !!!!!
That's my boy !!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Married with Children. That's my life, man.

BTW, my AC is sooooo wimpy. Full tilt full time keeps me tepid. I figured it was the tiny engine.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had to use my AC today and it was plenty capable. Temps here were 88-92 deg.
Still gonna get my windows tinted which should make it even better...
Old 05-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned
SL Member

Limo tint and an '04 and mines doin fine.

BTW ... there is a slot behind the glove box for a cabin filter. As far as i know Scion is still not ( or wasnt ) selling the 1st gen with a cabin filter. There is a part number for one somewhere on here, but long before that people were making custom ones from filters you can buy at Home Depot.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by wbw6cos
If you notice in the maintenance manual, the "recharge the a/c" is the most unsually common service that is recommended. Hmmm,......
What is the actual name of that manual?
In the Scheduled Maintenance Guide that came with my car, the air conditioning is not listed as a scheduled maintenance item. I also have it in PDF form, and the words "recharge" or "a/c" or "air conditioning" do not appear in a search.
Looking back now on the matter, you are right. I was thinking I saw it in the SMG (to which I inadvertantly called it a manual). I rememeber l seeing it on a dealer's sheet of paper somewhere during the purchase of my ride. My bad. The sheet of paper I refer to is something the sales weasel (finance guy) was putting in front of me to show the savings if the 3 year maintenance agreement was purchased. I just looked thru my own literature and found that I erred. I still recall the prominence of the recharging the a/c though, which I thought was odd.
Good day..
Old 05-27-2007, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KryptonKalEl
I read in the xB manual that some models have the a/c filter behind the glove compartment? And if for some reason that the a/c is getting weak you should try cleaning the filter. Did anybody verify that there is an a/c filter behind the glove compartment?
I have an 06 and yes, there is something behind the glove box. Only in my case, the filter was not there. I have read posts on this and you can buy one from dealer, or order one through NAPA or whatever. Beats me to why they manufacture a filter holder, but do not install the filter. I have read that some fab their own utilizing "cut-to-size" filter material sold for home a/c use. The air filter is there only for the fresh air that comes into the system. When one "recirc" I am not sure if it is in the loop or not. My $.02
Old 05-27-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
If you notice in the maintenance manual, the "recharge the a/c" is the most unsually common service that is recommended. Hmmm,......
What is the actual name of that manual?
In the Scheduled Maintenance Guide that came with my car, the air conditioning is not listed as a scheduled maintenance item. I also have it in PDF form, and the words "recharge" or "a/c" or "air conditioning" do not appear in a search.
... I rememeber l seeing it on a dealer's sheet of paper somewhere during the purchase of my ride... to show the savings if the 3 year maintenance agreement was purchased.... I still recall the prominence of the recharging the a/c...
So the dealer's 3-year maintenance agreement featured recharging the AC unusually frequently, but the Scion Maintenance Guide does not mention it even once?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is what my short attention-span mind thinks

Quick Reply: Air conditioning kind of weak 2006 xB Auto