Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Can Nitrous be detected by the dealer????

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Can Nitrous be detected by the dealer????

i need to go in for warranty and wanted to know if the toyota tech's would be able to detect the use of nitrous on my engine? if there is no trace of any of the nitrous components? will looking at the ecu logs show the use or when they open up the engine? any info will be great..thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope they can't detect it. If you're worried about the ECU just reset it before you goto the dealer. Just disconnect the battery overnight so that any hard codes will be erased. It's as simple as that :D
Old 12-19-2004, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Actually, there will be traces of sulphur inside your engine unless you're runing medical grade nitrous.

--
Cheese
Old 12-19-2004, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

what shot of mitrous are you using in your xB, and does it make a diff.... i wanted to get a nitrous kit, but nobody seems to have info in my area,..... i was thinking a 50 shot but that would be 50% more hp to the engine being about 140hp and might f up the engine..........what are your thoughts....................thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The bent rods and holes in the pistons might be a tip-off to a savvy mechanic...
Old 12-19-2004, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No dealer tech is going to find anything, as long as there's no external components or obvious changes made, and there isn't a "nitrous" code that would bestored!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrsixx
No dealer tech is going to find anything, as long as there's no external components or obvious changes made, and there isn't a "nitrous" code that would bestored!
Of course there isn't a code that is triggered for nitrous use. But my check engine light came on with a 50 shot of nitrous. I don't know what code was triggered but it didn't matter to me. I have since took the system out of my car and reset my computer
Old 12-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

When you leave the battery unhooked, does that shut the check engine light off????
Old 12-19-2004, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lastlookcustoms
When you leave the battery unhooked, does that shut the check engine light off????
Yes it does
Old 12-19-2004, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

have u done much customizing yourself last look? that was a newbie question. j/k
but um yeah theyd notice the hole u drilled in the intake. and the bigger the shot that u ran the more noticeable it could/would be.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Originally Posted by Munch
Nope they can't detect it. If you're worried about the ECU just reset it before you goto the dealer. Just disconnect the battery overnight so that any hard codes will be erased. It's as simple as that :D
Actually, OBDII Codes in most cases are not eraseable unless a Scan Tool is used to erase it. Even though it doesn't light up a scanner will still reveal the OBDII Code stored on the ECU.

NOTE: I SAID IN MOST CASES SO I COULD BE WRONG HERE. Anyone want to clarify this?
Old 12-20-2004, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot of dealer mechanics I've had to deal with couldn't detect their own ___.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

"I can't find it, but why does my finger smell so bad?"
Old 12-20-2004, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Old Punk
A lot of dealer mechanics I've had to deal with couldn't detect their own ___.
This holds so much truth.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Dealers will find anything you add to your car. They do not want to fix anything if they don't have to, so they will spend hours searching for the problem that is not thier fault. They will notice that the engine is blown, and they can hook a scan tool to the car and tell how high the rpms were before the engine had a problem. If you don't care about a warr, and a long lasting engine, then go ahead and put the bottle on. Just to let you know, just about anything you add to your engine the dealer can tell by looking at the computer. If you added anintake they will notice that there was a larger air charge, header they can tell the O2s are not same as stock. And even if you disconnect the batt it will ot reset the code, it may make the ce light go out, bt the codes are stored in the ecu until it is reset by a programer.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to let you know, just about anything you add to your engine the dealer can tell by looking at the computer.

Not true, while a code MAY be set, a tech with a scan tool won't necessarily be able to tell what caused it. Also WE won't spend hours trying to find an excuse to not warranty something! I am a Dodge tech, and have seen a few SRT Neons with additions, only when it's easy to tell that an add on was directly at fault for a specific failure will we void the warranty on that specific repair.

By the way Old Punk, we're not all that bad.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

old punk is right some guys i work with cant diag a bad battery in a flashlight muchless tell if a car has had mods of any kind. now in my case im part of the percentage of techs that realy know what their doing toyota techs are laid back
if sometings broken ya fix it your getting paid to now if the service writer or manager is **** they might go on a witch hunt to deny every thing they can i have never run into that
working at toyota warr pays fair rates for most repairs so its not worth complaining . when i worked at acura years ago you
(the tech) had to do whatever it takes to find anything that
would void the warr cus the factory paid ____ for time and it on all of there repairs so honda guys are more tightly wound
anyway you get more flies with honey than with ____ (well i guess flies like that to) but my advice to heavy modders
go shmooze svc dept staff make freinds buy someone who
did you a favor lunch ya know work the system so when its time most of them would look the other way if necc. in a another case if you go in there argueing and being a beligerant dick then they may not be as willing ita all a game
play it
Old 12-20-2004, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So what kind of work do you need done? Is it related to the fact that you had nitrous?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

remove any and all nitro components so if they have to repair the broken engine the tech is not going to care why or how it boke he just wants to repair it and move on to the next car as quickly as possible so he can move on to more profitable jobs