First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Concerns

I have had my xB for a little over a month and a half. I picked it up with 9 miles on her and now shes got almost 2500. I drive alot, lol. Anyway, I have a few concerns that I would like some answers to, hopefully ther are normal.

First of all, the clutch. I did a search and found that alot of people have problems with their clutches, but usually only after one has modded their car. I have no mods, other than debadging, which I know wont affect anything. And yet, I still feel like the car bogs down a bit whenever I start from a dead stop. I have driven manuals since I was 16, so it's not inexperience thats causing it. Something about it just doesnt feel 'right.' Anybody else get this feeling?

Also, when I shift, there is a pretty strong vibration in the clutch pedal when it starts to get towards the floor. Almost like really short resistance to me disengaging the gear. The rpm's dont jump when I shift though. Any help with that?

One more thing, my e-brake is a pile of crap. It hasn't been up to my standard since I got it. I have to crank it all the way back to park on my driveway, which is kind of steep, but not too steep where I would have had to crank my Civic's e-brake.

I'm planning on having all of these issues addressed on my first oil change, but I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything similar.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car, I just wish these stupid little things weren't happening.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have notice the same thing with dead starts, I think it just because its a small engine, I just get the rpms just a little higher when starting out. If I let the clutch out at 1k it bogs, but if it is around 1.5k or so its just fine, maybe a little more with the ac on.
I would get the clutch shake looked at.
The e brake cable probable just need to be tighted
Old 03-18-2006, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yep, the horsepower is up in the 3K+ rpms, I found that after I put the header on it revved up smother and pulled away easier.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Concerns

Originally Posted by PatD

First of all, the clutch. I did a search and found that alot of people have problems with their clutches, but usually only after one has modded their car. I have no mods, other than debadging, which I know wont affect anything. And yet, I still feel like the car bogs down a bit whenever I start from a dead stop. I have driven manuals since I was 16, so it's not inexperience thats causing it. Something about it just doesnt feel 'right.' Anybody else get this feeling?
I've notice that my box bogs down from take off especially an hard take off acceleration. I believe the reason for this is that when the Traction Controll is enable, the throtle sensor and wheel sensor sends signals to the computer to elimate wheel spin, thus having this bog feeling on take off, even when roads are not wet. This is the information that I got form the dealer when I pointed out to this on my first service. Later I tried it again with the traction off, the box did not bog. I had to really adjust my driving (clutch/gas) and since then I haven't bog my box since. Although I still turn off my Tract when I feel there a race competition on da street light
Old 03-18-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stangdude22
... I just get the rpms just a little higher when starting out. If I let the clutch out at 1k it bogs, but if it is around 1.5k or so its just fine...
Using the clutch for acceleration is hard on it, and is one of the habits that will shorten its life. The clutch should not be used as a torque converter. I let the clutch out all the way before giving any gas. My Mazda has 150K on its clutch, which is still perfect.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I had the same problem with my ebrake, I adjusted the rear brakes, and now the handle will only go up about 3 clicks.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... I let the clutch out all the way before giving any gas ...
I take that back in the case of an xB. I just got mine yesterday, and it has so little torque at 1000 rpm that it takes the too much concentration to release the clutch at 1000 rpm before giving gas. With idle at 750 rpm, and the throttle having a quick tip-in, you can't even aim for 1000 rpm. The natural thing with this car, to avoid a bog down or a buck or a stall, and to get moving with the rest of the traffic, is to release the clutch at 1500 rpm.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats what I ment, I don't wind the engine and slowly let out it out. clutch engage time is porbably about half a second. Like you said, getting it let out at 1k takes to much mental effort and the engine bogs because of the lack of torque.

With my old mustang, I would never let it go over 1k before the clutch was fully engaged.