Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default Decisions, decisions

Okay, my husband is totally ready to make my box his own. He wants EVERYTHING possible done to it. He lives to spend money and I am the voice of reason, unless it is something for me. When he pressures me (the biggest tightwad in OC) to buy seomthign for myself, I have a tendency to relent. But his ideas for my car are WAY out of control. I need help from people who have already customized their cars before we customize the hell outta mine and make it utterly ridiculous. I still want to be cool.

He wants to lower it. I think lowering it is a bad idea because I heard it really messes up your car. I also deal with speed bumps, a nasty dip, and a very poorly maintained road on a DAILY basis. I already have 17's on it, and I have seen someone with the skinny tires and they didn't lower it and it still looked hot. Do I need to lower it if I get the skinny tires?

He wants TV screens (with DVD). California just passed a law making it illegal to install them in the front but you can get away with it if you put in a GPS there and just switch it over. He wants a flip-down or two in the back of the headrests. I don't want a flipdown because I want a ragtop roof. I don't want them in the back because when would I ever use them? We don't have kids, so I don't really think I need a TV in the car. Anyone else out there actually use it besides just turning them on so other people on the road can know you have TV's?

I did like the idea of adding that big speaker (forgive me, subwoofer?) in the back, but does it render the back useless for all my crap, like luggage and snowboard gear? I am referring to the storage compartment under my little carpet. Or does it still get covered up and unseen?

I want the cold air intake and/or the muffler. My car needs power! What is my best option?

Anyone know a good price on adding the ragtop? Anyone donoe it already?

I had a bad experience with the alarm installers and I don't want to get cheesed again. It wasn't fair to have a new car and not have it for THREE DAYS while they firgured out how to install the darned thing. The shop had two xB's of their own, and couldn't install a simple little alarm on mine. They want to do my TVs, but I think this time around, I will say no thank you.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: Decisions, decisions

Originally Posted by Love My Hotbox
Okay, my husband is totally ready to make my box his own. He wants EVERYTHING possible done to it.
Guess what, it already is his!!! I'm guilty of the same. Last July the wife shows me this full page ad in the newspaper and was commenting how unique & different it is that its cute. Long story short..... when the weather became too cold for me to ride my bike to work, my wife says "take the Scion to work". Well, thats all it took. Been drivin' it to work ever since. BTW, she is a stay home mom and thought I should use it for my long commute. Once the mornings warm up though, I'm back on the bike!!! Yes, I am a very lucky Guy.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lowering the scion is fine. Don't worry about it. Even with 2" lowering springs, you still have a LOT of clearance. Looks a lot better too.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Decisions, decisions

Okay, my husband is totally ready to make my box his own. He wants EVERYTHING possible done to it. He lives to spend money and I am the voice of reason, unless it is something for me. When he pressures me (the biggest tightwad in OC) to buy seomthign for myself, I have a tendency to relent. But his ideas for my car are WAY out of control. I need help from people who have already customized their cars before we customize the hell outta mine and make it utterly ridiculous. I still want to be cool.

He wants to lower it. I think lowering it is a bad idea because I heard it really messes up your car. I also deal with speed bumps, a nasty dip, and a very poorly maintained road on a DAILY basis.
In this case, you are right. The ground clearance is already pretty low for a real-world car. Yes, there are some who get by with a 2 inch drop by driving very carefully, but do you really want to do this every day? I think not!

I already have 17's on it, and I have seen someone with the skinny tires and they didn't lower it and it still looked hot. Do I need to lower it if I get the skinny tires?
No, it'll look and drive fine with the stock suspension.

He wants TV screens (with DVD). California just passed a law making it illegal to install them in the front but you can get away with it if you put in a GPS there and just switch it over.
That depends. If you drive a Lexus with factory nav you might get away with it, but cops are smart enough to figure out that an aftermarket system in a Scion is very likely to have illegal functions. BTW, that law has been on the books for some time.

He wants a flip-down or two in the back of the headrests. I don't want a flipdown because I want a ragtop roof. I don't want them in the back because when would I ever use them? We don't have kids, so I don't really think I need a TV in the car.
Sounds like needless blingbling to me. Stick to your guns.

Anyone else out there actually use it besides just turning them on so other people on the road can know you have TV's?
IMO, if you don't have kids, the only function is to show off. Actually, I do have kids and I wouldn't put video screens in for them either. Who says that they have to have stuck to the boob toob 24/7?

I did like the idea of adding that big speaker (forgive me, subwoofer?) in the back, but does it render the back useless for all my crap, like luggage and snowboard gear? I am referring to the storage compartment under my little carpet. Or does it still get covered up and unseen?
It gets in the way. Perhaps something under the seats?

I want the cold air intake and/or the muffler. My car needs power! What is my best option?
Drive first, decide if you really really need more power. If so, go with the Imjen, not the AEM. Don't do the exhaust unless you really feel the need for it, as it is a cop magnet. You already have a stand-out car, you don't need to advertise any more!

Anyone know a good price on adding the ragtop? Anyone donoe it already?
Seen it, but have no idea of the price. Are you ready for the drafts and leaks as the ragtop ages?

I had a bad experience with the alarm installers and I don't want to get cheesed again. It wasn't fair to have a new car and not have it for THREE DAYS while they firgured out how to install the darned thing. The shop had two xB's of their own, and couldn't install a simple little alarm on mine. They want to do my TVs, but I think this time around, I will say no thank you.
Good move on your part. It is often better to do this sort of thing yourself. It isn't rocket science and anyone who can read instructions can do it. (reading instructions may be the problem with your current installer!)

Stick to your guns. This is the car you drive and you shouldn't have to put up with mods that will reduce your enjoyment of your ride just to keep hubby happy. Perhaps he needs an xB of his own!

George
Old 02-17-2004, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

i have both mine, and my wifes xB's lowered 2". They ride great, and have never scraped or bottomed out. I also drive mine pretty hard on some crappy roads and its fine with my 17's. For more power go with either the Injen or SPFR intake.

Also, hit me up when you are ready to lower it. Ive done 19 scions, and know a thing or two about the suspension
Old 02-18-2004, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alarm...

Rather than an alarm why not LowJack? IT will not bug you. Also lowjack has a system that tell you if the car is being moved or what not. I'd check them out.

I would not lower it. If I lowered mine I would not get in my driveway!

You do NOT want skinny tires! If anything you want MORE rubber on the road not less!

Last of all. If he can spend all that ... have him buy his OWN and then he can deal with all the issues.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member

He wants one so bad. It's driving him nuts that I have something he wants. I don't mind his wanting to do things for my car, because it's something we can do together. But this will help when I have to turn him down on some of his ideas.

I would love to customize my car and do all sorts of stuff to it. I guess I don't really know where to start, andI'm a little overwhelmed by what's available. I will probably start with the engine and the sound. But I just don't want to go over the top. That's for people who know their stuff and can get away with putting everything in it. My worst fear is people asking me more than I know about my own car.

Also, has anyone seen an iPod integration on an xB yet? We just watched a show where someone was getting one installed in his Hummer and we would love to do it to ours. We already have about ten days worth of music on our iPod and it would be great to take on trips.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

ahem...

:D
Old 02-19-2004, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member

I already have the blue ones from the dealer. As one Scion owner told me at Mt. High - "you bought the $30,000 one!" I had two options I really wanted, and the only blue one in town at the time had the light kit and sport pedals too, so I got them. All I really wanted was the spoiler and the fog lights. I knew everything else could be done aftermarket. But your purple lights are tight!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member

I already have the blue ones from the dealer. As one Scion owner told me at Mt. High - "you bought the $30,000 one!" I had two options I really wanted, and the only blue one in town at the time had the light kit and sport pedals too, so I got them. All I really wanted was the spoiler and the fog lights. I knew everything else could be done aftermarket. But your purple lights are tight!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by randode
ahem...

:D
lol!!!

Randy's cold cathodes are the shiznit
Old 02-19-2004, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

are those brighter than dealer installed, or about the same?
Old 02-19-2004, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by KrAuSeScIoN
are those brighter than dealer installed, or about the same?
WAAAAAAAY brighter. and the dealer wiring is hack.
no crimps or taped connections on mine. plug and play.