Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Fog Lamps and High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member

Default Fog Lamps and High Beams

Anyone know how to keep the fog lamps on when you flip on the high beams?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Fog lights on whenever (long)

Terms may be incorect so Electricians, techs, or Premo's please jump right in.

The circut for the fog lights is kinda like a ground loop. It has a hot (12 V pos) coming through the head light switch. This is hot all the time untill just the head lights are on.
When you switch on the head lights, the hot to the fog light switch is off. When the switch for the fog lights is closed (on) it feeds back to the fog light relay enough ground, (indirect) to close the contactor. Wha-la, fog lights on.
What I did was use the hot side to the switch, ran it to another drop in switch (Ideal part #704045, new line of switches @ Lowes) and used it for my pimp lighting.
This hot all the time will let me use them any time with or without the key. The cool part is they won't work with head lights keeping me legal but when you turn the brights on, back on the pimps can come.
The fog lights now get a tap off of the cig lgtr ground. The fog lights will work anytime you want. Looking cool at dusk with the fogs and prk lgts. Bad part you can forget you leave them on. Another cool part; it can all be done with just the center lower cover and gloove box out.
I may tie this into a relay from the ignition soon to prevent the fog lights on when ever thing. I'll let you know. The switched hot to the cig lgtr would keep it all right there.

This mod I must say, is user discretion. Always use a meeter and never eliminate or go larger on fuses. When in doubt. Leave It Alone!
Old 04-06-2005, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Fog Lamps and High Beams

Originally Posted by mjdukehart2
Anyone know how to keep the fog lamps on when you flip on the high beams?
Depending on where you live it may be illegal & you will fail inspection. It's illegal here in VA.
Xb_Dee