Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Glad to have the 1.5

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Glad to have the 1.5

Before visiting a friend in the hospital today and stopped to get him something to read. The Consumer Reports 2008 Buyer's Guide is out so I leafed through it while he was finishing his Jello and pea soup .
Anyway, Toyota and Scion rate high on the recommended lists, as expected, but the 2nd-gen xB is on the list as one of the worst mileage small cars.
Another reason I love our 06's. We average 28, one bad tank at 25, one great tank at 38.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah... it hink it was i big misstake to go to that big of an engine for the 08.
i got my 06 right at the last second because i wanted to see everything about the 08.
sooooooooooo glad i chose the 1st gen
Old 01-19-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 2nd gen shouldnt even be called an XB. they didnt make the XD the "2nd gen XA". they are completely different cars.

i just wish they would have given it a completely new name because it is not an XB.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2
Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You guys should see how 2nd Gen Xbs are sitting on the lot at the Scion dealership near my job...atleast 10! When our Classic xBs were selling at the Scion dealership, you couldn't even see 5 at a time...
I don't think the new xBs are that hot of a comodity as ours!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah... the hole time i was going back and forth to the dealer lookin at 1st gen xBs they never had more then 3-4 in stock, i had to order mine and wait for it to be transfered from another dealer.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^I got lucky cause when I showed up to "order" mine, it was already outside. It was dealer-traded from another dealer. The salesman told me it was only sitting out there not even 15 minutes. That's when I pulled up and said "I want that one!"
The rest is history...
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default RENAME that car....

Agreed! Our boxes will go down in history as a great car. 2nd genoration's look like a dozen other cars and the name is all wrong.
Just try to spot a 2nd gen in a parking lot!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:55 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Yes the 08 xb gets worse gas mileage but it probably would have been rated at 25/31 (most cars I've seen have been losing 3mpg compared the the previous year rating) had they not have changed the method of determine MPG. Of course the mileage has gone down, it weighs almost 600lbs more and has a larger motor.

I really don't see why 1st gen drivers bash so much on the new XB. I love mine! Its has everything I wish the 1st gen had. Also I get nothing but compliments of how great the new ones look. EVERY single person who's seen mine has said they hate the 1st generation and prefer the Xb2s styling.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
I really don't see why 1st gen drivers bash so much on the new XB.
It's because Scion lied. Scion said they would introduce a NEW car with a NEW name, and then when the NEW car came, Scion gave it the xB name. And that is the problem: Scion LIED to us.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Your butt hurt because Scion lied to you? Not sure what Scion promised but either way I don't see why you guys hate on new XB2 owners. Every 1st gen I run into gives me a dirty look.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Your butt hurt because Scion lied to you? Not sure what Scion promised but either way I don't see why you guys hate on new XB2 owners. Every 1st gen I run into gives me a dirty look.
Not me! I don't get the hate. I also don't see why this is still a hot topic.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we give you car a dirty look, we don't care about you, your a person just like us.
don't take it so personal.
ive hade people at car shows laugh and say " those are the ugliest cars ive ever seen" i smile and say "thank you"
im not being smart, i mean it.
i like the 1st gen because its different.
like the vw beetle or the mini cooper.
every time you see one it stands out, you know you are looking at something different and unigue.

i don't think a 1970 Nova owner would be required to respect or like the 1985 Nova, its not a Nove!

i just knew this thread would go this way, i knew i should have stayed away, i just can't help myself.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:44 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I dont take personal just kind sad if u have to hate on 08 xbs. We're all Scion enthusiasts right?

And why do u say the engine in the 08 was a mistake? Other than the lower gas mileage its a great reliable motor.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont even realize that the new xB is an xB until it gets close and i can see the emblem. I just stare and im like what is that? It looks like several other cars on the road. Classic xB's look completely different and are easy to spot. We get looks because its completely different, New xB's dont get near as many looks because they blend in so much.

Also, does anybody else think the Chevy Aveo is a Scion until you get up close to it?
Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know about anybody else, but my 05 is exactly the same as it always was. I don't get how they "ruined the xB." It's not like they snuck up one night and replaced all the boxes with xB2's.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honest, I didn't start the thread to bring up the old 1st vs 2nd generation xB thing. I was simply making a comment on the fuel economy of the 08's. I am satisfied with the performance of my two 06's and very pleased with the economy.

I have no issue with people who drive the 2nd gen boxes. I really don't see that many, or if I do, they don't stand out enough to notice. I've only seen one around that has been personalized to any degree and that was just with a set of wheels.

So as far as I'm concerned, if you like your 1st gen or 2nd gen xB or xA or xD, great...enjoy, welcome to the Toyota/Scion family. I am just glad that I ordered one of the last 06's in Oregon and later found another clean 06 for my wife. I like the individuality. Like stated earlier, cars like the Beetle and Mini Cooper are cool because they are different. So is the 1st gen xB.
I must say I am disappointed in Toyota in that every new vehicle they introduce, from Corolla to Camry, to xB to Tundra, has to be larger than the previous version. Does larger always mean better? I think a Lotus Elise driver would say not. You can have a lot of fun with small cars. Look at MG's,TR7's, 510's, x1/9's, old Celicas, the list goes on...
Look at what Toyota did with their SUV's. They have what, five different SUV's and each time a new model is introduced, it moves up to the size of the next step up, which means that model must get larger.
If you have a 2nd gen xB, great. Have fun, just don't look down on 1st gen's because yours is newer and bigger.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill agree to that.
i don't have bad fealings tward anyone and to be honest i don't realy have bad fealing tword any car.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by glock32
If you have a 2nd gen xB, great. Have fun, just don't look down on 1st gen's because yours is newer and bigger.
I haven't seen any posts where gen 2 owners were antagonizing gen 1 owners. It's always the other way around.

Scion asked owners what they'd change about the XB and the responses they received translated into the gen 2 XB. The 1st gen was a Japanese car brought over and converted to left hand drive. The 2nd gen is an American XB. What's done is done. At this point the only thing this type of discussion causes is alienation of new Scion owners. Is that what you want?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

the xB 1-gen's are impressive cars, the fuel econmy is amazing, and the seating is perfect especially for a tall guy like me....the back seating is perfect if you have friends and you like your seat as far back as you can and they can still have room to move in the back....Toyota/Scion has regained alot of respect from the day i bought it march 07' untill the present.......Looking to buy another 1.5 xB here soon......

Quick Reply: Glad to have the 1.5