Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Hesitation, bucking and codes... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hesitation, bucking and codes... thoughts?

OK, I am usually good at Diagnostics but I wanted to see if anyone had this issue.

So Last night I was driving home in 5th gear doing 60 mph when the car started hesitating. I was like hmmm I wonder whats up with that. I started wondering if it was the gas I put in, because I got gas next to work at the pump said 10% Ethanol. So I drop it to 4th and it drives the rest of the 5 miles home just fine.

Then this morning I get up, go to head to work and I try to start it and nothing. I was like wtf, so I checked fuses relays everything. I could hear the starter relay click, then the starter engage but no crank. Sounded like a dead battery, So I put it on a charger, same thing. So I was going to take my truck and was like I need to move this backwards but I will give it one last shot, and it fired right up. I drove the 2 miles to work just fine.

Then I went to go to lunch went out, started it up, as soon as the RPMs lowered it started sputtering. And sputtering bad, then it throws a code and I turned it off, walked inside, got the code reader and checked the codes : P0101 and P0102. Both MAF codes. So I pull the MAF out, put a new o-ring on it, cleaned the connections with MAF cleaner and put it back in. it seemed to idle fine, then when I started to drive it home, it bucked and stalled the entire way there.

I currently have an MAF on order but I hope not to need it.

My car is a 2005 xB with 71,000mi on it and a AEM CAI on it.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Hopefully it's just the MAF. Could be the VVTi thing tho. Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

i thought it threw a different code for the vvti thing?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by dugzillaxb
i thought it threw a different code for the vvti thing?
The VVTi thing was several different codes if I remember but I could be wrong. Too lazy to research.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

since i bought my box in feb, about 5 times now i have gone out there to start it and it wont start the first or second time and then the third or fourth time it starts but it idles like a lawn mower and then plains out to normal...took it to toyota but "they could not re-creat the problem"...keep me posted on what you find because i bet we have similar problems...mine is an 06.5
Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a car that did that and it ended up being the throttle position sensor.....
Old 10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I started it up this morning, and it started and drove fine, so I drove it to work, stopped at the McDonalds 1 mile from my house for Coffee and it stalled out in the line, I fired it back up and it was in limp mode. SO I have to drive the next 1/2 mile to work shifting at 2800rpms. Stuck it in a spot and cursed at it. So I went to go to move it out of the spot to a better spot (semi employee parking) and it stalled twice then I reved it up go it to back of of the spot and it stalled, started it back up drove it 10 feet and it stalled, this went on for the 25 feet that I had to move it. So After work I went to show one of the other guys the problem (work at an auto parts store) and it ran just fine. So I was like WTF, and we road tested it, even managing to chirp second. Still nothing.

I was like ok wtf, pulled the codes P0101 and P0102 cleared them. Swapped my MAF with a remaned MAF and it ran fine. Managed to drive it home no problems
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Any updates on how it's doing with the reman MAF?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I put in the reman maf and it acted up again.. drove to work at Geek Squad, then went to lunch and it stalled and wouldnt drive, came out when off at 6 and it drove just fine.

I just today reinstalled the factory airbox and exhaust cause I dont want any more issues before I sell it.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 PM

Default Same Problem, Went To Dealership

Hey, had the EXACT same problem, with the same codes and everything. Took it to the shop, and they told me it was something with the cam shafts (not sure exactly). But it's costing me $1,200 to get the part to fix it(not including labor). Just wanted to give you a heads up that it's most likely what your car is going to need so you didn't wind up wasting money on parts that aren't going to fix your main problem.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think he sold the car. Like couple of years ago, LOL
Old 04-22-2011, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

i had the same prob so i changed the MAF with one i found on an xb in the junk yard and it fixed it than about 2 3 week went by and it started doing it again so i looked into it and it was the ECU was putting out to much power and over time burning out the MAF so i got a used ECU and MAF now its good...