Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Hoping to buy a box and got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Default Hoping to buy a box and got a few questions

Hey my buddy told me about this site, and I just came across a good deal on an 04 Scion XB. I been in the market for one for a few years, but they're usually out of my price range. I finally found one now though. My buddy has an 04 also, and I've been a little envious of his XB. Just a quick question. I have searched these forums, and cannot find much about this. The 04 I am looking at makes somewhat of a strange noise, and my buddy's does as well, and this one has just a few thousand more miles than his. I don't know if it's normal or not, but my step mom had a TC, and it made a similar noise, and in my search of the forums I found a lot of TC topics on this. Now the TC has a different engine than the XB so I don't know if this applies to the XB as well.

The noise is not very loud, and it's not noticeable whatsoever if the windows are down, or the stereo is turned up more than a notch. it sounds like a rattle, and you can hear it from behind the glove box. It's like a slight jingle. A very calm rattle or jingle. My step moms TC had the noise as well, and she had the car for 5 years, and over 100k miles. my buddy's has it too, and I asked him how long it's been there, and he says ever since he got the car last year as far as he knows, but he never really paid much attention to it. When I pop the hood it's hard to tell where it's coming from. It seems like it may be coming from where the exhaust goes into the motor. By the manifold back there. It also makes sort of a growl on the highway so I am hoping it's just something with the exhaust. Still can't pinpoint it though. It sounds like the valves working thats what others have told me, and it's nothing bad or harmful. Oh, and it is more noticeable when the car is idling in park! I think it still might have been there when I was stopped at a light in drive, but it's not so noticeable. You can hear the intake more then which I have read is common.

So does this sound like it could be a bad lifter or valves, and to stay away? Or is this common like the TC? Or maybe just the exhaust? It's a calm noise. It's sort of a ticking noise, but I would describe it as more of a jingle. It's not very loud nor pronounced. I have a couple of days to make this decision. I gave the guy $500 bucks to hold it for me three days. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this is a dumb question, and a stagnant topic on these forums. I couldn't find much on it with the XB's just in the TC sections. Oh and this car has 88k miles.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Chances are that's the screen mesh in the cowl that's loose and rattling, if you go to the passenger side and tap the plastic under the windshield wipers you should be able to replicate the noise.

If that's it, just pull the cowl off and put a dab of silicone where the mesh/screen is loose and that should be perfect.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by daneisthegreatest
Chances are that's the screen mesh in the cowl that's loose and rattling, if you go to the passenger side and tap the plastic under the windshield wipers you should be able to replicate the noise.

If that's it, just pull the cowl off and put a dab of silicone where the mesh/screen is loose and that should be perfect.
I'm a little bit lost. It sounds like it's coming from back behind the exhaust manifold. Either there or in the back of the motor. I stuck my head down there a little, and thats where it's coming from. It's also more audible from the passenger side behind the glove box. It's similar or actually the same as my step moms TC. I think hers did it from brand new or sometime early on, and still did it when she sold it with 120k+ miles. Is that common on these motors? Now I know the XB isn't the most powerful little car in stock form, but I don't notice a lack of power or performance at all. This is the only XB I have ever driven though. I actually heard a Toyota Echo making a similar noise too. The XB, and Echo have the same motors right? Anyway tomorrow I will try your suggestion. It's worth a shot. Thanks for your reply! It's very appreciated as it anymore help.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I dunno, the normal whine that people have comes from the drivers seat, normally the interstate is involved as well...

but on a real note

does it sound like its metal to metal or no? I apologize but your post was a little long, which isnt bad, but it was maybe 2/3rds over my attention span.

It could be what Dane said, it could be something in the dash loose... is the glovebox door on correctly? That drove me nuts for a week or so
Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
I dunno, the normal whine that people have comes from the drivers seat, normally the interstate is involved as well...

but on a real note

does it sound like its metal to metal or no? I apologize but your post was a little long, which isnt bad, but it was maybe 2/3rds over my attention span.

It could be what Dane said, it could be something in the dash loose... is the glovebox door on correctly? That drove me nuts for a week or so
Yeah glove box door is good. I can hear it behind the glove box like on the passenger side in the engine bay. I hear it when I pop the hood as well. It's not really metal on metal. I been searching videos on you tube, but can't find much. If you don't mind I would like to post a video I found that it sounds similar to. Only thing is mine is not nearly as loud nor pronounced. This guy on the video is making it out like it sounds really bad which it sounds worse than mine, but still not bad.

At about 43 seconds into this video the guy is complaining of a ticking in his 2008 Sienna, and making it out to be really bad. The one the XB I wanna buy is making is quieter, and less pronounced than this. I have heard lifter ticks, and they aren't like what I am hearing, but this guy in this video is freaking out. Sorry for the long posts, and again thanks for your time, and help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGYlO_peq1Q
Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

No, its nothing to apologize for, I was stating that incase I missed something for not reading it.

Does the car shake wildly? could be a motor mount that is breaking down
Old 01-17-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
No, its nothing to apologize for, I was stating that incase I missed something for not reading it.

Does the car shake wildly? could be a motor mount that is breaking down
Nope no shaking at all. Did you watch that video I posted? I'm really laughing after watching it again. That guy is making it out like it's ''REALLY BAD!'' No offense if whoever that is posts here! It's just funny. I really don't care what it is personally as long as it isn't the lifters tapping, or some other internal engine problem. Could it be the exhaust maybe? Maybe an exhaust leak up by the manifold? It doesn't smell like gas in the car while it's running. I am leaning towards it is nothing serious, because I have a good sense of hearing, and a lot of other people probably would never even notice this at all. Like I said if the stereo is any more than say volume 7 on the stock pioneer system I can't hear it whatsoever. Same with if the windows are down. Even if it's just only one of the windows down I don't hear any of it at all. Not even a trace.