Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

increasing MPG miles per gallon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EmjayUu
I installed satellite radio in December 2007, and I have notice that my mileage has improved by just over 10% since the install, from an average of 27 mpg to 31 mpg. With current gas prices, it has already paid for itself.
What!!??

I installed Sirius and only got a 5 MPG boost.

Stupid Sirius.....

Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member

wow thats some satellite stereo, mine actually made my MPG drop!... -_-;
Old 05-08-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07
....however I'd like to see a test performed - same driver and driving style , same day/temp. outside, using a CAI vs. WAI on the same driving route and see what the mpg difference is...
You mean like the one I posted on page 1?
Gotcha. I did read that. I suppose that would be very similar results vehicle to vehicle, since thats OBD2 year car, FI, etc. ..... same old, same old.

I'm down with the WAI situation, I've been at it the last 10 months- and its worked out well, but I haven't actually done a scientific study on doing several runs w/WAI vs. CAI to personally see any real differences in how my car + driving habits resulted in = what kind of mpg difference. I've basically relied upon what I've read hear from owners doing the WAI / snorkle removal to achieve better mpg.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Improbcat
... your car is set up to run optimally with a certain air/fuel mixture. Since cold air is denser, it takes more fuel to get that correct a/f mix. So if the same amount of air is flowing through, then you'd use more fuel with a CAI.... more throttle doesn't automatically mean more fuel burned, it is a matter of air density, not throttle position, that determines the amount of fuel used....
For the engine to do the same work:
Cold air and more fuel will make more power which will take less throttle.
Hot air and less fuel will make less power which will take more throttle.

People who install a CAI feel the extra power and want to use it. So they make the engine do more work and get less mpg.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM
SL Member

ok, second week with the iridiums in and this week was mostly all local driving.
filled up yesterday and milage dropped way down, drove 252 miles and filled up 10.1 gallons = 24.9 mpg.

i know city mpg is less than highway but this is ridiculous.
cars that have more power than our boxes get better milage.

this will be third week and i will be driving mostly highway, we will see.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Ok, here's some info from just plugging in my new scangauge with an auto trans box...

I haven't calibrated everything, so I focused on the gallons per hour to watch how much fuel is being used in different situations.

When in idle, (stopped at light) shifting to neutral uses less gas (.16ish vs .2ish gal/hr)

A light foot on the gas makes a big difference!

To glide in drive or neutral? You may have read about the fuel cut-off (engine braking) effect, keeping the car in drive. Yes, this happens, but it takes almost 4 seconds for the computer to shut off fuel to the injectors, and then the effect goes away below about 30 mph. So around town, gliding in neutral will have a much bigger effect. Also, for shorter periods, the 4 second lag reduces the effect of the fuel cutoff at highway speeds. Also, the car glides at speed much better in neutral, while in drive it slows down too much for the whole off-ramp, or even waiting for traffic.

It should be interesting to see the change that working with the gauge can make.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah... I'm not so sure why Toyota / EPA averages for mpg from auto vs. manual were I believe just 1 mpg better for a manual??? When I'm in gear, and let off the gas, the gas cutoff is fairly instintanious(with in 1-2 seconds) , and I can even keep it in gear to coast where I need to then end up (on flats or downhill). Its all an average I suppose, and probably using the same driver in all cars to get an average?? Some drivers are better able to extract more mpg out of there trips, due to driving style.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drwoodwind
Ok, here's some info from just plugging in my new scangauge with an auto trans box...

I haven't calibrated everything, so I focused on the gallons per hour to watch how much fuel is being used in different situations.

When in idle, (stopped at light) shifting to neutral uses less gas (.16ish vs .2ish gal/hr)

A light foot on the gas makes a big difference!

To glide in drive or neutral? You may have read about the fuel cut-off (engine braking) effect, keeping the car in drive. Yes, this happens, but it takes almost 4 seconds for the computer to shut off fuel to the injectors, and then the effect goes away below about 30 mph. So around town, gliding in neutral will have a much bigger effect. Also, for shorter periods, the 4 second lag reduces the effect of the fuel cutoff at highway speeds. Also, the car glides at speed much better in neutral, while in drive it slows down too much for the whole off-ramp, or even waiting for traffic.

It should be interesting to see the change that working with the gauge can make.
Once you get your Scangauge dialed in properly you will have a good tool to help decrease your fuel consumption.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 PM

Some more random thoughts/observances:
(remember, auto trans - stock/no snorkel and denso irridiums)

Gliding is KEY. Even at slow speeds in traffic, doing a half block at 5-10 mpg,(getting up to speed) then gliding to the next stop sign or congestion at 130-150mpg makes a BIG difference over just driving along normally.

The overdrive won't kick in until around 30mph, so going slower than that limits mpgs.

I still keep an eye behind me and "move right along" to keep from having a negative impact on traffic. It is nice to see the possibilities right on the display. No wonder people that drive with a real-time mpg display often get better mileage!

Even though I started with the scangauge at 1/2 tank full, when I filled up and calculated the mpg for the entire tank, I was 5 or so mpgs over the standard 29-30 warm weather, 10% ethanol mpg that I had been getting. It will be interesting to see how the next tank measures!
Old 05-17-2008, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_boxy
and also throw in synthetic motor oil maybe..?
Synthetic oil alone shouldn't measurably change gas mileage. It's more about the viscosity. Toyota had a TSB that changed the oil weight recommendation from 5w-30 to 5w-20 for the 2006 xB. If you change to 5w-20, you should average about 1 MPG improvement.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah-$3.79 here as of yesterday....

Ram air dealy allows me to suck more fuel when I want-it also gives me better mileage when I drive sensibly.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just returned on a trip to Tennessee. 3 people, A/C running, 65 mph as much as possible. I got 35.4 on the trip up and 38.2 on the trip back. The difference was probably due to the elevation difference between home and destination. We gained almost 3000 ft going up and dropped the 3000 ft. on the way back.

Regardless, I'm extremely pleased with those numbers.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a cheap header, universal magnaflow catalytic, a short resonator, 2in pipe and a universal muffler and from 32 now i'm at 35. and consider this, since day one with the xb, 17x7 rims, not lightweight.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never would have guessed but now have conformation-with Chevron gas about 27 miles per gallon, with 76 gas 30+.

Same route, have tried it for three weeks straight just to make sure and it's consistent-my car really likes 76 gas......a few cents more per gallon but 3 miles per gallon more....
Old 05-25-2008, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where is the TSB for 5W20? Always the last to know! I just had my oil changed yesterday and put in 0W30...
Old 07-04-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car is slightly over 32,000 miles and I just got a fill-1/2 highway and 1/2 city and I got 37+MPG-I was so amazed I checked it like 3 times-always over 37-before this it would hover at 31+ a little-crazy!

Ram air, regular driving, wide sticky tires-I am thrilled!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:38 AM
SL Member

hey drwoodwind. any more reports or insight from using your scanguage? Just wondered any other tips, like leaving the car in neutral at lights, and when coasting.

Where did you get your scanguage from?

andy.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by andyfilius

Where did you get your scanguage from?

andy.
Go here:

http://www.365motorwerks.com/
I believe they offer a $5-10 discount to SL members still.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a hypermiler, and got 46.8 mpg my first fill-up with my MT xB. Today, I drove it to the local Wal-Mart and averaged 44 mpg for the 45 mile round-trip.

The main technique for good gas mileage is to slow down, as 90% of the poll respondents note. #2 is accelerate lightly. #3 is get off the gas and coast as much as possible out of gear.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice.
Watch, its May 3rd, give this thread 30-45 days it it will blow up again as gas prices will inch up higher .. and higher , then we'll have tC owners back on here checking this thread(hopefully learning something new to at least increase their mpg a little bit , or maybe saying "ahhhh I should have bought a xA or xB1 for the good mpg.

I still say anticipating traffic ahead is also key to getting better mpg(and its a safe/smart thing to do also) , draft(safely) when you can , use the cars momentum when at all possible to your advantage. Basically work that scangauge 2 ... monitor your driving so you can become a more efficient driver (which some people just cannot be tought this.. they just like to lay in on their accelerator- could be a big diesal truck, small compact, mid-size car owner.. it runs the gammet.

Be safe out their folks... it may get a little hecktic out their this summer.

Quick Reply: increasing MPG miles per gallon?