Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Intend the xB Series to be Collector's items..

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Intend the xB Series to be Collector's items..

I was pleased to see two used 2006 xB's in the classifieds selling for what I paid for mine last year.

I'm writing with the intention of enrolling all xB owners in asking top dollar for their xB whatever year it may be. We have the potential to create the xB to be a Collector's item—an investment

Kerry

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-29-2021 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think the name alone (xB) and the fact it's a Toyota, will it command "top" dollar for quite some time...
Old 04-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Banned
SL Member

well theres your problem, your in sunny hawaii. I would think you can count on both hands how many Scions made it out there. Course, i kid, but im sure you dont have a lot of them out there.

The only thing that makes something a collectable is that someone else is willing to do what ever it takes to have one. Im sure the number of xBs that were sold between 03 and late 06 is 100K+
Old 04-06-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our Toyota dealer hasn't pushed them at all. Never ever have I seen one on their street-front lot. Never could understand that. I suspect the profit margin isn't as high as with their others cars.

I'm guessing there's maybe 1000 xBs on the Big Isle.

Kerry
Old 04-06-2008, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

167k made in all, and there is no question this car is going to be a collector.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by hwybox
You keep thinking that, and i can sell you the Jersey side of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Do yourself a favor. Tune your tv onto Spike or Speed and watch an auto auction. Watch some of the high end cars that sell for 100K plus. Then listen to how many were ever produced. Usually if a car that is 30 years old and they only made a couple thousand will fetch 40 - 50K$. The ones that only a couple hundred were made will call for more money. Those that only about 100 were made, those are the true " collectors " cars and go up in value every day. Your Scion will never be one of those kinda of cars. Not to mention, Scion is built on the thought of a well built economy car.

But its not your fault though. You grew up in a generation where any marketing idea from cereal to toys, every package was stamped with Collectors Edition or 1 of 25,000 made. Congradulations for falling for the greatest marketing ploy developed.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Metro273
I think the name alone (xB) and the fact it's a Toyota, will it command "top" dollar for quite some time...
x2

Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
You keep thinking that, and i can sell you the Jersey side of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Do yourself a favor. Tune your tv onto Spike or Speed and watch an auto auction. Watch some of the high end cars that sell for 100K plus. Then listen to how many were ever produced. Usually if a car that is 30 years old and they only made a couple thousand will fetch 40 - 50K$. The ones that only a couple hundred were made will call for more money. Those that only about 100 were made, those are the true " collectors " cars and go up in value every day. Your Scion will never be one of those kinda of cars. Not to mention, Scion is built on the thought of a well built economy car.

But its not your fault though. You grew up in a generation where any marketing idea from cereal to toys, every package was stamped with Collectors Edition or 1 of 25,000 made. Congradulations for falling for the greatest marketing ploy developed.
It could still be a collector car. It just depends on what rate-of-financial-return you consider "collector" Will the box sell for 10-20 times what you paid for it? Not in my lifetime. If it stays the same non-inflation adjusted dollar amount for years and years, I would still say "that's a collector car". If it declines til it gets $200 as a parts car, then it's like 95% of all other cars.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ

Yea, in the early 90's i bought a "limited edition" cd from an artist that i liked, and it was still available 6 years later.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Collector or not doesn't matter to me. In my area there are not many boxes period. I love mine so much I'll never sell it anyways so the point is mute for me.
I do see it being somewhat collectible in the future tho as a cult car.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Kerry
Our Toyota dealer hasn't pushed them at all. Never ever have I seen one on their street-front lot. Never could understand that. I suspect the profit margin isn't as high as with their others cars.

I'm guessing there's maybe 1000 xBs on the Big Isle.

Kerry
The Big Isle in the only place I ever saw an xB taxi...in Kona.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-29-2021 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Collector or not doesn't matter to me. In my area there are not many boxes period. I love mine so much I'll never sell it anyways so the point is mute for me.
I do see it being somewhat collectible in the future tho as a cult car.
I agree with you here 100%. Nothing out there replaces my xB. If anyone has a rare or collectors edition its me and the 2099 others who have the limited edition RS1. Even then, i tried to sell my xB in order to get my hands on the 2nd gen. I was advertising for only 13K and still couldnt sell it.

What really cracks my nut is these guys who think that the xB as a whole will be a collectable. The only person it will ever hold value for are those who like it the most. And here again, its a modern day mass produced imported econo box.

You want a collectable Scion here state side ... import a bB with right hand drive, it will fetch a little more for ya.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of the 167K made, even today all do not exist any more.

Though normal attrition, the numbers dwindle down over time. Imagine the actual number of remaining Gen 1 xB's in 20 or 30 years.

That being said, it will never command the $$of a '71 Hemi 'Cuda convertible which only 7 were ever made and has a much broader appeal to the affluent collector.

The xB will hold its value well and be desirable in the future, along the lines of early VW's, OG Mini's or vintage Triumph/Norton/BSA motorcycles.

It will never be worth a million dollars. Or even 100K. Or even 50K.

Just my two copper Lincolns.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They have High resales because they are not expensive new, they are Toyotas and people dont like the new one as much and there buying the 1st gen instead keeping the price higher