First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Problem with LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my stock tails are worthless. One is broken and both have no "circuit boards".
Old 05-06-2005, 10:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

get in touch with Chris....he has two new tails...
Old 05-06-2005, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from the looks of the pic. I think the circuit board could be revived if thats what your conncerned about.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the nature of LEDs is different from "bulbs"

bulbs fail by -open circuiting (filament breaks0

LEDs fail by -short circuiting- (dead short!)

That's what happened here. Why? infant mortality.. or bad design.. OVER voltage shortens LED life... just like incandescent bulbs.

LEDs are funny animals. We need not get too deep into the science behind them. But they are -the future- and they do last very well if not pushed to hard.

Just remember: when an LED fails it fails by DEAD SHORT and will quickly take out all the other LEDs which are -wired in series with it- There are probably three or four LEDS in that cluster which are now ruined. Can be fixed but you'd want to ge exact, exact! replacements or the fix may look unmatched.

good luck
Old 05-06-2005, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bulbs fail by -open circuiting (filament breaks0

That's what happened here. Why? infant mortality.. or bad design.. OVER voltage shortens LED life... just like incandescent bulbs.

LEDs are funny animals. We need not get too deep into the science behind them. But they are -the future- and they do last very well if not pushed to hard.

Just remember: when an LED fails it fails by DEAD SHORT and will quickly take out all the other LEDs which are -wired in series with it- There are probably three or four LEDS in that cluster which are now ruined. Can be fixed but you'd want to ge exact, exact! replacements or the fix may look unmatched.

good luck
Old 05-06-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bulbs fail by -open circuiting- (filament breaks)

That's what happened here. Why? perhaps "infant mortality".. or bad design.. OVER voltage shortens LED life... just as overvoltage kills incandescent bulbs sooner or later.

Just remember: when an LED fails it fails by DEAD SHORT and will quickly take out all the other LEDs which are -wired in series with it- There are probably three or four LEDS in that cluster which are now ruined. Can be fixed but you'd want to get exact, exact! replacements or the fix may look unmatched.

here's a page that helps us understand LEDs a little bit better.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/led.htm
I've not read it yet, but it looks like -good basic information-
Old 05-06-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SciFly
That's what happened here. Why? perhaps "infant mortality".. or bad design.. OVER voltage shortens LED life... just as overvoltage kills incandescent bulbs sooner or later.

Just remember: when an LED fails it fails by DEAD SHORT and will quickly take out all the other LEDs which are -wired in series with it- There are probably three or four LEDS in that cluster which are now ruined. Can be fixed but you'd want to get exact, exact! replacements or the fix may look unmatched.
-
The LED's still work fine though! And it was running on a 10A fuse. That's the stock fuse. AFTER it blew that fuse, I tried a 15. And it still blew. So again, I dunno...
Old 05-06-2005, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just signing up for thread.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ahhh... curious as to what the outcome might be, are ya?!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Denstyr

-
The LED's still work fine though! And it was running on a 10A fuse. That's the stock fuse. AFTER it blew that fuse, I tried a 15. And it still blew. So again, I dunno...

I dunno either. Something does not compute. An LED array in general draws but a fraction of the -current- that a filamentary light bulb needs. And a tail light bulb never taxes a ten amp fuse!

your "circuit board" proves there was a large rush of current. Current is flow.. it creates HEAT in conductors too small for the load. This is how/why fuses "fuse" (open up the circuit like an OFF switch. OK... Don't be putting a 15 amp fuse in a circuit with 10 amp-capacity wiring. That's not wise.

Get rid of that array and put in a new one if at all possible, is my dunno-what-else-to-say advice.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

haha, I appreciate it. I did take out that fuse. I just thought maybe for some reason the fuse wasn't getting enough power. I was just trying to see if it would work or not.

Like I said before, do you think another set of LED's will burn up the "boards" I have now? B/c I don't have any others and will be screwed if they burn up.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...I did take out that fuse. I just thought maybe for some reason the fuse wasn't getting enough power.
Not sure I follow you there. Let me sidebar on fuses, please:

fuses do not "get power". A fuse is a safety device, as you know. It's got more -resistance- to it than does the wiring circuit. Resistance plus current -flow- make -heat-. The fuse is gonna burn out by intent before the wiring insulation burns up and makes the car a bonfire.

"FUSE" means "melt" in metalurgical terms.

The Helix "circuit board" is just printed wiring: copper foil very thin and of high resistance to high current. Hence, your LED cluster shorted, passed huge current which fused the printed board AND blew the ten amp fuse.

A safety fuse may be as simple as just a single strand of copper wire, in a circuit where the wire proper is seven strands. In fact this is just how early Buss-type fuses were made and repaired: hook in a new inch-long piece of fine copper wire.

I was just trying to see if it would work or not.
Yes, but you did not then know your basic electricity. Now you do! and you know that if blue smoke appears in two places, and one of those places is the safety fuse, then the -real cause must be in the other place (your LED cluster)

Like I said before, do you think another set of LED's will burn up the "boards" I have now? B/c I don't have any others and will be screwed if they burn up.
Now that I look and understand better what your doing, please confirm if I got this straight: These "Helix" taillamp assemblies standardly employ conventional light bulbs. Yes????

OK, and you got cheapo Chinese LED-replacement modules for filamentary light bulb circuits. Yes??? And these things are -crap- because, as I said earlier, when an LED goes south, it becomes a dead short.

Look at your LED cluster again. This is an equivalent for a single filabment tailamp bulb. The two-only terminals tell me so:

SO! The makers could have built-in a tiny fuse to that cluster. The "Picofuse" being on the order of one amp, or really much less. -That fuse- if present, would've saved yoru Helix mounting board from frying and -prevents more than one bulb in the tailamp circuit from becoming dark when an LED fails. As it stand, your losing one cluster blows a main fuse. HERE then is another reason why such things should be locally fused. Locally meaning, in the device itself: a one-shot, not-replaceable fuse.

The -cluster that popped your fuse-.. you say that still opeates just fine as before? That's hard to understand... it's shorted. Toss it out. Don't trust the other clusters not to fry at any future time. IF they do, you'll fry that board again -unless- your Scion fuses may be -downsized to, say, 2amp or about that (I am -guessing.)

-whether that's even possible, to downsize the Scion 10A fuse to 5A or 2A, depends on what else in the way of current-draw is -fuse protected- by that 10 amp circuit..

Bottom line: Run bulbs for now until you can get LED clusters of known-good quality and preferably internally fused if you value your Helix mounting board (you do!)

The makers of these LED clusters did not know or care that you might put them it to a copper foil mounting system. They designed on the cheap, without internal protection, presuming that your socket is hard wired. It is not.

oh well.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Denstyr
...I did take out that fuse. I just thought maybe for some reason the fuse wasn't getting enough power.
I meant giving. Sorry about that.

The Helix "circuit board" is just printed wiring: copper foil very thin and of high resistance to high current. Hence, your LED cluster shorted, passed huge current which fused the printed board AND blew the ten amp fuse.
All of the xB circuit boards for tail lights are printed wiring. This is pretty much the same thing, just different looking from the outside.

Now that I look and understand better what your doing, please confirm if I got this straight: These "Helix" taillamp assemblies standardly employ conventional light bulbs. Yes????
Yes, just like stock!

OK, and you got cheapo Chinese LED-replacement modules for filamentary light bulb circuits. Yes??? And these things are -crap- because, as I said earlier, when an LED goes south, it becomes a dead short.
Yes, as I did not know there was a difference at the time. Had I known, I would've spent the almost $20 a bulb!

SO! The makers could have built-in a tiny fuse to that cluster. The "Picofuse" being on the order of one amp, or really much less. -That fuse- if present, would've saved yoru Helix mounting board from frying and -prevents more than one bulb in the tailamp circuit from becoming dark when an LED fails. As it stand, your losing one cluster blows a main fuse. HERE then is another reason why such things should be locally fused. Locally meaning, in the device itself: a one-shot, not-replaceable fuse.
So, if I bought a more reputable brand, it would have that "Picofuse", more than likely, right?

The -cluster that popped your fuse-.. you say that still opeates just fine as before? That's hard to understand... it's shorted. Toss it out. Don't trust the other clusters not to fry at any future time. IF they do, you'll fry that board again -unless- your Scion fuses may be -downsized to, say, 2amp or about that (I am -guessing.)
OK, to come to think of it, it may not work just fine after all. But it seemed like it did. So, you're probably right and the cluster is bad. It's already in the garbage!

Bottom line: Run bulbs for now until you can get LED clusters of known-good quality and preferably internally fused if you value your Helix mounting board (you do!)
You're absolutely right, I value it b/c it's the only one I have left. lol

The makers of these LED clusters did not know or care that you might put them it to a copper foil mounting system. They designed on the cheap, without internal protection, presuming that your socket is hard wired. It is not.

oh well.
Once again, you're right!

I really do appreciate you taking the time to, pretty much, break it all down to me, and the others who were interested.

Is it safe for me to buy a well-known brand of LED clusters to run in my car as long as they are "internally fused"? And how would I be able to tell if they are or not?
Old 05-07-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah, thanks back to you for going point-by-point to my inputs. I don't know squat about Scion electrics as yet.

Yah, that the stock scion lamp boards are printed is OK, because you see now that light -bulbs- never short and so, can't ever fuse the printed circuit/mounting board.

how to know whether an aftermarket LED array is internally fused? I dunno, except by intentionally frying one by over-voltage. Increase the voltage gradually until the LEDs burn out. Have a five amp or so fuse in the test circuit. The unit should fail, the 5M fuse should NOT blow, and the dead unit should read on a VOM -infinite resistance- meaing open circuit

You could also contact the distributor or maker of the devices and ask whether it has internal protection. You've probably saved a bunch of readers from frying even their standard Scion boards by bringing out the cause of the grief.

good day, friend
Old 05-08-2005, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yea, I hope so. That's was the second reason I asked. The first was for myself, I know, I'm selfish! lol Seriously though, thanks alot for all your input! I/we appreciate it!
Old 11-27-2005, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did anyone find the reason the fuse kept blowing, I just bought a set and the same thing is happening to me, the blow when I put the brakes on.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

This may or may not be the problem It looks to me the bulb will plug in either direction,On a LED you will get light in one direction and in the other you get a short "well kind of" a LED is a Diode it is designed to let voltage flow one direction.
Try hooking it up to a 9 volt battery it should light in one direction only,when you find out which is positive on the bulb mark it then take a voltage meter to the socket to find which way you need to plug the bulb in.

Hope this makes sense,Scott