rear ended!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default rear ended!!!

so i was on base today, stopped at a red light waiting to turn right and SNAP, CRUNCH, POP, and FIZZ, I got rear ended by a guy i work with. his big ol jeep just nestled right in cozy with my bumper. So only the bumper was damaged. Has two deep gashes running up down, parallel to each other, both about a half inch wide. he hit me with the mounting bracket for the leaf springs in the front of his jeep i believe. the bumper on that thing was too high to hit me. so ive never been in an accident of any kind before. i called his insurance to make the claim. they said i had to go to one of two stores ( their choice ) to get the damage apraised. i was just wondering if thats correct? i personally would like to take it to the body shop the my scion deal reccomended but thats no one of the options. is that how the system works?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

oh another question, i know i dont have a pic posted yet, but any guesses on weather or not they will bondo that **** up ( i hope not) or buy me a new one?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:31 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by redneck69
oh another question, i know i dont have a pic posted yet, but any guesses on weather or not they will bondo that **** up ( i hope not) or buy me a new one?
In this case, it may be cheaper to put on a new bumper.
Price that out at your dealer and send quote to insurance company.

With out pics its hard too tell.

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The insurance company will try to get you to settle for the smallest possible claim. No matter what was damaged they have to replace it unless you let them get away with it. If damage was actually done to the plastic of the bumper under the paint then they will replace it. You need to get at least 2 estimates on this, and make damn sure no other damage was done to the car. If you find out later that something else was damaged after you settle you are SOL. It sounds as tho this was a minor fender bender so there is probably not much chance of that. Since you were hit in the rear I would pay special attention to the rear hatch too. It may not be damaged on the outside but if any metal was bent where the hatch closes it could be a problem.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member

Default i got hit by a jeep too

I'm guessin the other guy is liable for the damages. His insurance company can RECOMMEND where to go, but ultimately it's up to you! Basically they inconvenienced you and if you don' t want to go to their mechanic don't.

This was a helpful site:

www.insure.com
Old 12-01-2004, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Depending on whose insurance you go through you have to watch out.
If you use your own coverage and then have your company go after the other guys company. You should read your policy carefully. The policy is an agreement between you and your company. If it says they can use aftermarket or LKQ(like kind and quality, from an auto recycler aka junk yard) then you don't have any choice. If it states you have to use one of their bodyshops then you have to. If you go through the other guys insurance a) you don't have to pay out your deductible and b) they have to put you back into the condition you were prior to the accident. I don't think you should have a problem with aftermarket or LKQ as the vehicles are too new. Also you do not need to go to a bodyshop that the other guys company reccomends. You don't have a contract/agreement/policy with them. I have worked both ends insurance appraiser and automechanic. Just bring it to the shop of your choice and let them deal with the insurance company. Its a very negotiable business. I used to cut shops estimates in half. The car would get fixed properly and everyone was happy.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Also, make sure that the foam core is checked/replaced, the main core (the actual steel bumper under the cover) is checked/replaced and the bumper mounts are checked.

Most of those are only rated for 1 wreck of 5-15mph.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I would call your ins agent and have them handle the claim with the other driver. That's what you're paying them for. I've never dealt directly with someone else's insurance.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

heres the update:
wreck was his fault
i called his insurance myself, didnt know that my insurance would do that for me
the bumper is a 3 piece set, only piece that was damaged was the top piece.
a quote from three seperate body shops on the price of the stock bumper top piece, unpainted unfinished was the same everywhere: 133.62. they must all get their parts at the same place.

someone mentioned that i could get it estimated anywhere
wrong in this case, his insurance ( USAA ) , insisted/mandated that i get it estimated at a place of their choice. i asked twice about this.

so that shops total estimate was 474.58.

a seperate shop estimated 353.93 ( i told them i would do the removal and instal myself, the differnece would be cash in my pocket!)

i guess the way this works is the shop that USAA made me get the estimate at sends that price ( 474.58 ) to USAA. they then mail me a check for that amount. i take the check and get the work done wherever/however i want. so if i do some of the work myself. i pocket some money. such as removal and installation, thats easy stuff. i just cant paint.

thats all for now
Old 12-01-2004, 06:07 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$474 for repair! Ouch!

I would do the labor you can do yourself and pocket difference,
like you are planning on.

Smart move.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Actually, the other guys insurance cannot mandate where you go, though they will try.

Here's the deal. This is, in reality, a legal issue between you and the guy who hit you. His insurance company is acting as his agent and trying to save themselves some money.

The way it would work, outside of the insurance companies, is you go wherever you want, get estimates, and show them to the guy who hit you. If he doesn't like it then you take him to court and a judge settles it.

Now, what USAA is doing is keeping you from knowing certain things and trying to get you to settle quick.

Once you settle, you're done. No going back (usually).

They can owe you for:
All repairs
Rental car (if needed)
Any work you missed getting this fixed (if any)
And any medical

Repairs are, usually, the easiest for them to control. And, in this case, they are strong arming you.

USAA can't tell you what to do. They aren't your company, you aren't their client. You can take your care wherever you want (as long as it is reasonable).
Old 12-01-2004, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Another note, the reason a lot of ins companies try to settle in a hurry, especially rear end hits, is because it takes a few days (sometimes) for neck/back/spine injuries to surface.

If your neck stiffens up, go get it checked. Last thing you want is messed up disks (I didn't get mine looked at and it never got better).
Old 12-01-2004, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pulse
Also, make sure that the foam core is checked/replaced, the main core (the actual steel bumper under the cover) is checked/replaced and the bumper mounts are checked.

Most of those are only rated for 1 wreck of 5-15mph.
There is (unfortunately) no foam in the front or rear bumper on the xB.
That's why I added my own.

It's just a plastic bumper cover over a folded hunk of sheet metal shaped like a bumper.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pulse
Another note, the reason a lot of ins companies try to settle in a hurry, especially rear end hits, is because it takes a few days (sometimes) for neck/back/spine injuries to surface.

If your neck stiffens up, go get it checked. Last thing you want is messed up disks (I didn't get mine looked at and it never got better).
Same thing happened to me 12 years ago.
Go get it checked even if it doesn't hurt, just to be safe.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: rear ended!!!

Originally Posted by redneck69
so i was on base today, stopped at a red light waiting to turn right and SNAP, CRUNCH, POP, and FIZZ, I got rear ended by a guy i work with. his big ol jeep just nestled right in cozy with my bumper. So only the bumper was damaged. Has two deep gashes running up down, parallel to each other, both about a half inch wide. he hit me with the mounting bracket for the leaf springs in the front of his jeep i believe. the bumper on that thing was too high to hit me. so ive never been in an accident of any kind before. i called his insurance to make the claim. they said i had to go to one of two stores ( their choice ) to get the damage apraised. i was just wondering if thats correct? i personally would like to take it to the body shop the my scion deal reccomended but thats no one of the options. is that how the system works?
do you have any pictures?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In California it is illegal for an insurance company to mandate where you go for repairs. I believe that may be a national law as well. Contact the BBB or state insurance folks.

My rear bumper was scraped and the paint peeled off where the BMW ran into it. That was all the damage, just a 4 inch square of no paint on the back right corner of my bumper. The BMW owner fessed up immediately and got the repainting done on his insurance. $495 to remove the rear bumber, sand it down and repaint it. Oh, and a rental car for three days.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK-

I work for a bodyshop in Texas. This is how it would go down here.

You should go to one of the shops that they recommend for the APPRAISAL ONLY.

They will write an estimate for the damge that they see. They will low ball you, hoping that you take the money and run. That's fine. take the estimate, DO NOT SETTLE

Take the estimate to the shop of your choice. This is your legal right. They will disassemble the car ( remove the bumper cover, check the structure, etc.) and turn a SUPPLEMENT in to the insurance company. The work will probably be on hold for a day +/- until the insurance company approves the supplement.

By the way, I would recommend that you INSIST on a new (not reconditioned) cover.
If the cover is torn, chances are the shop will recommend replacement. Body shops are forced to look for used, or LKQ, parts first. They won't find one for an xB. Second search would be to a reconditioned bumper source (previously wrecked & already "repaired"). Again, chances are slim to none that they find one for an xB. Third, they will search the aftermarket (stock OE type- not body kit stuff). No way they'll find one there. Finally, they'll go to OEM/Toyota.

If people only knew & saw what I see insurance companies do everyday.....

If you have any questions or problems, PLEASE feel free to PM me. I will do whatever I can to find out whatever I can for you! No Problem!

Mike
Old 12-02-2004, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thanks for the help all. nothing new as of yet, waiting for insurance to cantact the dude that hit me so he can verify the details i gave them. then they should cut me a check. i might also call and ask them about "telling" me where to get it estimated, if that is infact illegal.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

dont matter take a check and get a body kit. nice!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member

sorry!!