Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Shift lock problem... question rewritten

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default Shift lock problem... question rewritten

lols... i must be really sleepy when i wrote that question. anyway the story goes.... that in case of paralel parking, i need my car to be in neutral gear not in "p" gear so that you will not hinder other people car from getting out (in case people need to push ur car to get out) . but in this case i cannot shift the gear back to neutral position (from "P") after taking the key out. tried several times pressing the shift lock buttons too but nothing works. (ps u need to have your gear in "P" to be able to take your key out of the ignition)
Old 12-21-2004, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a manual trans on my xA, so I'm not sure how to release the auto trans on your car, but I have to ask you this.....Why in the world would you want to leave your car parked in neutral with no brake on?!?! I would NEVER do that. If you are on even the slightest bit of an incline or decline, your car is going to roll. Not safe at all.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: Shift lock problem... question rewritten

Originally Posted by arave
lols... i must be really sleepy when i wrote that question. anyway the story goes.... that in case of paralel parking, i need my car to be in neutral gear not in "p" gear so that you will not hinder other people car from getting out (in case people need to push ur car to get out)
where do you live? push your car so they can get out? what if it was on a down hill?

. but in this case i cannot shift the gear back to neutral position (from "P") after taking the key out. tried several times pressing the shift lock buttons too but nothing works. (ps u need to have your gear in "P" to be able to take your key out of the ignition)
I believe you have to have your foot on the brake in order to shift from park to neutral on an auto... that could be it...
Old 12-21-2004, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the re-write. It makes much more sense now. Still don't know how you'd do it. Like Matt A, I wouldn't make it possible for others to push my car around. I would imagine most drivers would rather bump and scrape your car trying to get in and out of a parking spot. Doubt many people would ever push your car safely out of the way.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:30 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Makes it great if I wanted to steal it tho. just push it right up on a trailer and do the hard work else where.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member

i live in indonesia, and most of the time when the parking is full, we just parked our paralel, it means covering someone car in T-bone parking position.... so if i dont release my car to neutral gear it would ____ someone off rite? if they have to wait for me to get back to my car before they can drive theirs out... and of course i wont park paralel if it's on a sloppy road..... btw in indonesia we mostly have parking attentands... even on ordinary roads... not just shopping malls...
Old 12-21-2004, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hmm that is way too odd. i have never heard of that practice anywhere.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

next to your shift **** there is a cover. If you remove the cover you can push the button and move your geras without the key or brake pedal being pushed.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my friend from philly told me last week that it is legal to double park in the city...like if somebody is parallel parked you can just park next to them in the street...i dont know if she was exaggerating...maybe your allowed to do it for a couple minutes or somethin but i found it odd none the less...maybe somebody can confirm it for me...anyway, it would be convenient if they left their car in neutral and you could just push it outta the way instead of drivin on the sidewalk to get out
Old 12-21-2004, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

legal, no. common practice, yes.
i live in philly, do i double park? all the damn time.
leavin the car in neutral isnt a good idea where i come from.
where you come from, maybe people are more honest.