Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Sound Proofing Under Carriage

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default Sound Proofing Under Carriage

A local Scion dealer offers this service. Apperantly a customer came in a few days ago complaining about road noise through her xB. The service manager said it is similar to the material blown to seal a pickup bed. Service manager showed me the finished xB with this done, costs $250 he said as I was picking up my 06 xB from getting a fin and cruise control last week. I never thought about that option though? Before I consider something like that, I wanted your advice for pro's and con's.

Thank you.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

All it is is under coating if you want it that bad go to any auto parts store and get a couple of spray cans and go to work,And save yourself about $200.
And personally I cant see how this will help a great deal with road noise.
All the dealer is doing,Is adding more of what is already applied at the factory.

Scott
Old 08-08-2005, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you Scott, I wasn't shure what to think until your reply. I'll pass on that particular dealer item.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you really want to have a quiet interior........you need to strip everything out of the inside and coat that box from top to bottom with dynamat. This would be costly and time consuming. However, I would think road noise can be reduced some by some strategic placement of dynamat in a few critical areas, rather than doing the whole car.

I have heard from people that actually went to the trouble of dynamatting their whole car that after doing so, the car sounds like it is of a much higher quality. The doors shut with a smooth, solid sound. Road noise and rattling are all decreased. Supposedly its like riding in a luxury car.......but I haven't experience it myself.

Eventually I'm going to pull out the seats and the upholstery and lay some dynamat on the floor.....and maybe a couple extra layers over where the exhaust pipe runs. I want to dull a bit of the drone that comes through the floor from the exhaust. I like my loud exhaust.......but I like loud OUTSIDE, not inside. ;)

KiL
Old 08-09-2005, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member

KiL,

Good reasearch. I would think this is yet another $$ opportunity to a dealer, or an enterprising individual. I personnaly would rather pay someone who has this professional skill over me so I don't screw it up. I don't know how think this material is, but I would be conserned with adding additional weight thereby reducing mileage. Road noise is noticeable to commuters and this service could be a good benefit if done right.

thanks...
Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

It depends on what they use. If it's the rubberized kind like rhinoliner, that'd be nice, the gritty flat gray/black stuff doesn't seem like it would deaden noise very well. I used to do undercoatings for a dealership and the first stuff we had was petroluem based, took a day to dry but sealed and deadened really well. Then we switched to a water based goop that dried faster and wasn't affected by water after it dried, but didn't seem to work as well. This was on Jeeps, so it was done more for sealing than for sound.

I'd ask to see some applied. Even if it's sprayed on a piece of cardboard, just to see how it goes down. If you do have them do it, be sure to drop comments of how you'll be under it a lot and you're kinda nutty about thoroughness, etc. Also, I would recommend taking it in nice and clean so you can see if they get any overspray on the paint.

You might also want to call the guys at your local 4x4 shop or the place that does spray on bedliners in your area. You might be able to cut out the middleman and save if they are farming it out anyway.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member

TheScionicMan

The stuff I touched under the car when it was waiting for it's owner was still tacky, looked like tar sort of and messy. I got some on my fingers (black messy). The Svc Mgr said it had not dried yet and that they have had good success with it in other vehicles. I tend to agree that if it were like that Rino material it would be good, especcially to deflect rocks and crap that bounce around under you on the road from time to time, especially if your on the freeway.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had mine undercoated shortly after I bought it. It was to protect it a little more from the salt in the winter. For sound deadening, the before and after are noticeable, but not that much. It did a little, but depending on the price, it didn't do all that much.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

elemental designs makes a killer deadening material. its one of the thickest on the market and its also the cheapest too. I was thinking about getting some of the v1.1. its like 45mils thick. that would no doubt deaden the road noise. all we are trying to do is add more mass so the sound can be absorbed. this is something I have been seriously thinking about doing. my road noise is rediculous with the low profile tires and such.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Peel n' Seal at Lowes (sold as roof insulation!)...can't beat 12 dollars a roll! ..8"x25'?