Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Vibrations in door and window areas solved

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Vibrations in door and window areas solved

Pertaining to the posts about the Scion xB door vibrations in the lock area, and seatbelt area, I finally got my dealer to listen up and solve the problem. I phoned the dealer in New York mentioned in this posting, and they "padded the plastic piece in the seat belt retaining mechanism". After sharing the info with my dealer in Frankfort, KY, their techs made a third attempt to get rid of the noise. After putting foam on just about everything inside the passenger door itself during the first and second attempts, the noise still happened. On the third attempt, they foamed up the plastic piece inside the seat belt retaining mechanism (there is one piece of plastic in there) and the noise is gone completely. It had occurred mostly when the passenger window was lowered a few inches. That apparently created a cabin pressure that vibrated the mechanism. ALSO, equally important, they foamed the window regulator, and the door striker ( where the door actually latches to the body when closed). Those three areas took care of the problem and they suggest doing all three for these vibrations.

I'm taking the car back to have the driver's side done as well, as it has a similar noise coming directly from the seat belt mechanism. Also, the xB must come with poorly made regulators, because there is a huge difference in how the window rests when open between the driver and passenger sides now. The one that has been foamed is very steady, (like on a Camry) and the driver's side moves a lot when open less than half way.

Don't have any pictures, but tell your dealer what to do and MAKE THEM DO IT!! It is unacceptable to take your car to the dealer and get it back from a tech who says they "can't reproduce the noise". (That is why it took three visits to fix this!!)

As one posting put it, Toyota made the Scion to offer a well-made car at a decent price. Rattles and bad parts aren't well-made, so make them fix it. Soon, this problem will probably become a recall. It should be one.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had my dealer do the except same thing and have noticed a line forming in my tint - they will be checking the door.

BTW, I just sound deadened the entire interior cept the roof and it makes a HUGE difference over any OEM stuff we could do.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you get it done under warrenty(sp).?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by I-Fly-High
Did you get it done under warrenty(sp).?
When I had the dealership work on my "noises" it was under warranty.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet I am just going to print this out and show it to them!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Vibrations in door and window areas solved

Originally Posted by cocteau3
... putting foam on just about everything inside the passenger door ... foamed up the plastic piece inside the seat belt retaining mechanism... foamed the window regulator, and the door striker... tell your dealer what to do and MAKE THEM DO IT!! ...
How are these areas to be "foamed"? Is the foam a tape, or is it that stuff in aerosol cans?
Old 10-21-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got back from the Dealer and thay said that they havent recived any bullitons about this and therefore it wouldnt be covered under warranty so untill they here from Scion about it I will have to make due!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Amazing how some people will complain about noises in a cheap, low-priced vehicle like the xB. If you want it to be quiet, then go buy a more expensive model, like a Camry! This is why it's a low-priced car...it's not gonna have all of the amenities that a more expensive car is gonna have!
I'm ____ED cause I work at a dealership and I'm sick and tired of people complaining about squeaks and rattles and noises from cheap-a$$ cars and expect us to fix them on a 1st visit, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Metro273
Amazing how some people will complain about noises in a cheap, low-priced vehicle like the xB. If you want it to be quiet, then go buy a more expensive model....
Actually, I am surprised at how tight and quiet my xB is. At 10,000 miles, it has no noises or rattles, and continues to please me with a quality feel to the body, controls, engine, clutch and transmission.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:38 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

83800 miles, i hear rattles and what not, but when at high speeds, its drowned out but my exhaust
Old 10-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What few rattles and buzzes my xB had were easily quieted, and my xB is performing above expectations for a vehicle in it's price range. I'm happy with it.

One of these days I may have some sound deadening put in so that there is less noise incursion on long trips, but that's just an 'extra' for me.

Tomas
Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amazing how some people will complain about noises in a cheap, low-priced vehicle like the xB. If you want it to be quiet, then go buy a more expensive model, like a Camry! This is why it's a low-priced car...it's not gonna have all of the amenities that a more expensive car is gonna have!
I'm ____ED cause I work at a dealership and I'm sick and tired of people complaining about squeaks and rattles and noises from cheap-a$$ cars and expect us to fix them on a 1st visit, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
If their are small thing like my seat belt and my door mechanism vibrating their is a problem. One small rattel can lead to a major problem. The tech guy said he knows of the problem but cant do anything if I want it under warranty.

I love My Box and wouldnt have it any other way but if my door rattles and falls off their is going to be a problem.

Oh and I worked in the busniess as well and if a customer wanted a company like Toyota to look at his car and help him fix a problem then you have no reason to complain about not getting it right the first time.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default how it is foamed

The "foam" is some kind of foam tape, I was told by the dealer. I didn't witness its installation, but I witness the change in the rattle. Toyota hasn't issued an official TSB, but they explained to me (Scion in California) that they compile data from these cases in order to issue TSB's. . . . yeah, sure, then why is it still such a mystery? I'm thinking Scion isn't big on repairing much. At least, that is my experience.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The issue about sounds and rattles in the xb has been debunked here on SL, any sounds you here must be your imagination, lol.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. I am glad I don't drive a nissan. You should be glad you don't have a supervisor like me. Anybody with that poor of an attitude would be in the unemployment line.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been very pleased so far with the fit and finish of my xB. I will also be at the dealer if any annoying rattles or squeeks appear while in my warranty period. You did what anyone paying for a new car should. Glad to hear it was taken care of.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Exactly Right! If you hear a noise that you don't want fix it yourself. It's NOT a warranty thing. You got what you paid for. If you want Lexas quiet buy one.