Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by empleh
i think i'll stick with my 87. just make sure you fill up at chevron or 76
Those 2 and Shell are the ones I AVOID. They obviously work together to keep the prices higher than they need to be. Just lllook at any spot that has those and an Arco or the few others that still give a decent price. I always buy from Safeway or Costco. Much lower prices and the gas is all the same. Ca has standards, it's not like it's coming from some mom and pop refinery...

I prefer to save the buck or more per fillup and then buying an occasional fuel system cleaner.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

bp amoco is the cheapest in my neck of the woods...
Old 11-29-2004, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, from reading this you can tell me 93 oct is a waste, but after running 87 ever since I bought my box back in June and recently switching to 93, I can say that the engine definitely runs smoother now than it did before, and doesn't seem to struggle or work nearly as hard going up the steep-___ hills here in PA as it did with 87.

On a side note, the gas in Japan avgs about 96 oct so mechanically the engine will handle higher octane no problem, although they may be using a different ECU special for America to handle our crappy gas. If it's one universal ECU for Japan and America though, I can't imagine that it would not adjust to benefit from using higher oct gas. Anyone know if the ECU is special for here? Just curious.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

More than you ever wanted to know about gasoline. I'm with Old Punk, btw. My supercharged Miata has to run 93 octane, and I run an MSD ignition retard as well, but the xB is designed for 87. Anything more than that and you're wasting your money. These cars weren't meant to put out horsepower. They were meant to be economical.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The ECU doesn't change the compression ratio and that is what can take advantage of the higher octane. If you're NOT getting pre-ignition with 87, the higher octane WON'T do you any good.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But the ECU does control timing, which can be advanced/retarded by the ECU to get optimum performance from the fuel being used. Within limits, the higher the octane fuel being used, the further you should be able to advance the timing before you get pinging etc., thus better performance. Mechanically, the xB engine was designed not for 87 oct, but for as high as 96 oct to also be used in the JDM market where gas is much higher quality. It may run on 87 here and do fine, but it runs smoother with less effort on higher.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

But if the ECU runs a *standard* such as 10* BTDC with 87 octane, and isn't programmed to continue running the timing up until knock occurs, then backing off, then it will *not* advance the timing. Just because the timing *can* be advanced past spec doesn't mean it *will* unless you fool the computer.

The ECU on my OBDII 1996 Miata must be fooled into allowing higher timing. You have to jump 10-gnd and then manually advance the timing with the CAS. The Miata was tuned for 87 octane and that's what OBDII knows is best for it.

The ECU on these cars was tuned for 87 octane. The base timing for the ECU is such that it runs well on 87 octane. I have a hard time believing that ECU is going to advance the timing until it gets knock. It's just going to go "Hey, no knock. They must be running 87 octane or better."
Old 11-29-2004, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I fill up with Shell V-Power, and I do not know why, so dont ask.

-nt
Old 11-29-2004, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by phinz
But if the ECU runs a *standard* such as 10* BTDC with 87 octane, and isn't programmed to continue running the timing up until knock occurs, then backing off, then it will *not* advance the timing. Just because the timing *can* be advanced past spec doesn't mean it *will* unless you fool the computer.

The ECU on my OBDII 1996 Miata must be fooled into allowing higher timing. You have to jump 10-gnd and then manually advance the timing with the CAS. The Miata was tuned for 87 octane and that's what OBDII knows is best for it.

The ECU on these cars was tuned for 87 octane. The base timing for the ECU is such that it runs well on 87 octane. I have a hard time believing that ECU is going to advance the timing until it gets knock. It's just going to go "Hey, no knock. They must be running 87 octane or better."
I agree. It's basic science and mechanics, people, nothing more:
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
The ONLY thing higher octane does is allow higher compression. Our ECU is going to fire the cylinder at the moment it gets to the optimum compression. IF the cylinder CAN compress the 87 octane air/fuel mixture to this optimal point WITHOUT pre-ignition, then HOW will higher octane (ie: able to be compressed more before ignition) help?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Originally Posted by phinz

I agree. It's basic science and mechanics, people, nothing more:
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
The ONLY thing higher octane does is allow higher compression. Our ECU is going to fire the cylinder at the moment it gets to the optimum compression. IF the cylinder CAN compress the 87 octane air/fuel mixture to this optimal point WITHOUT pre-ignition, then HOW will higher octane (ie: able to be compressed more before ignition) help?
Everytime someone posts about what kinda gas do you use there is always a conflict. My parents have always filled their cars up with Premi Gas ('97 Nissan Quest, & '96 Hyundai Elantra). And have had zero problems, (exept the bearings on the Hyundai), would the cars be the same with 87 octane? Who is to say.. Being their spouse with a new car, I buy the same gas they do.. My fill-ups are around $20, and that is not bad to me.

IMO the people who buy 92 octane gas, buy it for peace at mind, it probably does not do a dam thing, but, why not, it will not hurt anything. I maybe wrong, but that is my take on it.

-nt
Old 11-29-2004, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member

Higher octane gas equals less work for the engine in the long run and less work under heavy acceration. Also with a Cold Air Induction System that experiences a "Ram" effect you will build higher HP and TQ numbers than with a lower octane.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Eski628
Higher octane gas equals less work for the engine in the long run and less work under heavy acceration. Also with a Cold Air Induction System that experiences a "Ram" effect you will build higher HP and TQ numbers than with a lower octane.
That is exactly what I have herd, but I have not seen it proved. Makes sense, and i have a CAI also .

-nt
Old 11-30-2004, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

You didn't read this thread before you posted did you? This is EXACTLY the incorrect information that creates these long posts.

It's not a subjective thing, "Who is to say"? The compression ratio is to say, That's who. With our comression ratio, higher octane WILL DO NO GOOD! PLAIN AND SIMPLE! Shouldn't even be a debate...

Nobody said that these cars WOULDN"T run fine on higher octane. The fact of the matter is they will not be able to gain any advantage out of it. It's money you're thowing away - worse, giving it to the Big Oil companies...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

you're not even close... this thread is just about out of wind...

seriously people, go read the GAS FAQ

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir...line-faq/.html