First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

XB is gone...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhoKilledTheJAMs
... I live... where it is not unusual to get a foot of snow while I'm at work for half the year, and my lowered box with snow tires has never let me down....
I put BFGoodrich Traction T/A all-season tires on my xB, but the xB has less snow traction than my wife's Buick with Goodyear ComfortTreads. The Buick can climb our little hill in conditions where the xB can't.
The 6 inches clearance of the xB is not the problem in the one or two such snows that we get here. It just can't pull itself along before the tires start to spin.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
I put BFGoodrich Traction T/A all-season tires on my xB, but the xB has less snow traction than my wife's Buick with Goodyear ComfortTreads. The Buick can climb our little hill in conditions where the xB can't.
The 6 inches clearance of the xB is not the problem in the one or two such snows that we get here. It just can't pull itself along before the tires start to spin.
My 'summer' tires are Kumho Ecsta ASX all seasons. I had a set on the Subaru I used to have, and they were great, but that car could make traction if you glued a bunch of pencil erasers to the wheels. The xB (like most FWD cars) demands snow tires. In all seriousness, an xB with snows is 90% as capable as a Subaru Impreza with all-seasons, and that 10% extra the Subaru can do consists mostly of things that are either illegal or possibly-deadly.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhoKilledTheJAMs
... The xB (like most FWD cars) demands snow tires. In all seriousness, an xB with snows is 90% as capable as a Subaru Impreza with all-seasons, and that 10% extra the Subaru can do consists mostly of things that are either illegal or possibly-deadly.
My xB and my Subaru both have all-season tires.
http://aatherton06.home.insightbb.co.../Forester.html
I have driven both in the 6-inch snow that Louisville gets a couple of times a year. I don't know if putting snow tires on the xB will make it as good as the Subaru, but it would sure be worth any improvement. I wonder what illegal and deadly things I might do in the Subaru.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

I for one welcome our new xBxtreme overlord.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XbXtreme
HI! EVERYONE. Well i am reverse! I have always wanted a compass but in my price range I could not get all the bells and whistles. Guys! The jeep isnt bad anyway! && plus leave him be lol.. His loss is my gain!!! haha!!!! Here ya go? That good looking BMORE BOX?? is now my Toasty!
Lucky mug.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
My xB and my Subaru both have all-season tires.
http://aatherton06.home.insightbb.co.../Forester.html
I have driven both in the 6-inch snow that Louisville gets a couple of times a year. I don't know if putting snow tires on the xB will make it as good as the Subaru, but it would sure be worth any improvement. I wonder what illegal and deadly things I might do in the Subaru.
My prior vehicle was a base-model 05 Impreza. Part of why I got rid of it (aside from how horribly impractical sedans are in general) is that it was eventually going to inspire me to do something really stupid.

Still, a decent set of all seasons on that car made it a hoot to drive, and the AWD kept me out of trouble.

On my commute (rural backroads, mostly), the xB really is just as good with snows as the Impreza was. On the other hand, I've driven my boss' 05 Impreza with snow tires a little bit, and it feels unstoppable.